Grimoire

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Mr. Fed

Re: Grimoire

Post by Mr. Fed »

Cleve's odd blog continues.

I submitted a comment for approval. It was not approved. Went like this:
Paragraph one: "Don’t ya just love Christmas? It’s the one time of the year where it’s socially unacceptable for people to be dickwads to each other… makes you wonder why people can’t just behave like that all the time! "

Paragraph three: "I’ve noticed that the video games market has been quite shitey lately… I played MW3 at a friend’s house the other day… how this game could hold anyone who has an IQ above ninety’s attention for more than a week is beyond me, but apparently, several million feeble-minded simpletons play this game for hours on end."

Turing test failed: no self-awareness detected.
Popehat, a blog.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

What about:
I can assure you that there will be many more years to come of Grim-Blog goodness… even after Grimoire’s been released!
Can we also look forward to the blog postings in the coming decades before release?

Yes... these recent releases have been so terrible. Skyrim is such a failure. Oh, what? Right... Cooper and Cleve only have access to PC technology from when he first started programming Grimoire, so they can't even process the screenshots of Skyrim posted on the internet.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

RPG Watch thread where Cleve announces he will Kickstart Grimoire.

FYI, Cleve could have finished it any time he wanted, but all the negativity of the last 10 years made him not care.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sometimes thread titles can be too obtuse.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

tgb wrote:Sometimes thread titles can be too obtuse.
The problem with your thread title is not obtuseness. Its that the thread could have been about roughly several thousand things gaming related. Like the guy who wanted to fund an AAA MMORPG through Kickstarter.

Also, nobody really cares that you posted it first.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Peacedog wrote:RPG Watch thread where Cleve announces he will Kickstart Grimoire.

FYI, Cleve could have finished it any time he wanted, but all the negativity of the last 10 years made him not care.

Even if that were true (or is true if you prefer) so what? Guy behaves like a raving lunatic ass-hat for 20 years with his white supremacist AND insane political beliefs and HE is suffering from other peoples negativity?!

Edit: Ah...you were referring to a Cleve quote for ironic/comedic value. Had to re-read his post to realize this.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Peacedog wrote:
Like the guy who wanted to fund an AAA MMORPG through Kickstarter.
Wow, an online tow-truck sim! Count me in.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

This is like Lucy starting a kickstarter to pay for her to hold the ball for Charlie Brown.
Popehat, a blog.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Cleveland Mark Blakmore wrote:They worked on the Sistine Chapel for a while as well. Michelangelo, that big loser. No talent loansharked bum. Please do not support Leonardo's Kickstarter.
FWIW, it only took 4 years to complete the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo could have completed four Sistine chapels in the time Cleve's been working on this.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mr. Fed wrote:This is like Lucy starting a kickstarter to pay for her to hold the ball for Charlie Brown.
Nice.

Hopefully Mr. Brown has some deep pockets. It's not cheap or easy pulling the wool over his eyes every time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I didn't want to risk getting banned from the service for a month, I'd totally submit Grimoire to STEAM Greenlight. Regardless, it's so clear now -- what's been holding this project back is a lack of $5 donations.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Popehat, a blog.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

This begs for a post where I come up with Cleve-appropriate rewards for various funding levels, all related to racial apocalypse. But seems like a lot of work.
Popehat, a blog.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

That video promotion thing is pretty bad. So bad it is funny! Cleve could not find a sound guy to consult about his voice-over stuff? It sounds like Donald Trump , unaware that you should not put your face right on the mic' when speaking into it. Every ragged breath of his is recorded in the voice over. And my forking word...hire a writer if you want to do comedy! His whole spiel sounds like one of Ron Jeremy's stand up routine attempts.Only he does not have the presence of Ron Jeremy.

But you gotta give him credit; he is only $277,000 shy of his funding goal with almost four months to go.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Mr. Fed wrote:This begs for a post where I come up with Cleve-appropriate rewards for various funding levels, all related to racial apocalypse. But seems like a lot of work.

LOL!

You mean like:

$25 - You are one of the mud-people. I guess you could not make a real contribution when half of your $400 welfare check has to go to your mom to pay for the drug money she loans you every week.

$50 - You may not be one of the "Cultural Enrichment" rape victims but you are a typical Liberal. As such the only reason you donated $50 was because you thought this was a charity drive for displaced Wiccans and you did not want everyone at the wine and cheese tasting events to think you weren't doing your part. I will give you a copy of The Turner Diaries so you can realize how unimportant you will be when the feces hits the fan.

$75 - You put the "Homo" in "Homo sapiens" but at least you have the sense to steal condoms to protect you from risky sexual behavior. Too bad you are also sharing needles with other heroin addicts while listening to 'Dub step' and wishing you knew something about music. I will give you an Alice in Chains CD (like the ones you used to listen to in the 1990s...before the drug addictions took their toll).

$100 - This contribution earns you a framed picture of my bunker so when the world is crumbling around you and radiation poisoning is turning your insides to a mixture of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and sushi, you can try to imagine a better place.

I am spent. Anyone else want to finish this list or replace it with something better?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Mr. Fed wrote:Here.
If I did not know better I would say that looks pretty cool. We all know better, right? No seriously I love old school RPG's and If I didn't know the history of this I might be pledging. Though the link above does point to some warning signs. 17 years in development and you are planning on enhancing it with updated graphics running at 1024 x 768? 600 hours of gameplay? Wow this must be a game to take with you after the apocalypse becaues it would take me the afterlife to finish it.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Skeptic wrote:That video promotion thing is pretty bad. So bad it is funny! Cleve could not find a sound guy to consult about his voice-over stuff? It sounds like Donald Trump , unaware that you should not put your face right on the mic' when speaking into it. Every ragged breath of his is recorded in the voice over. And my forking word...hire a writer if you want to do comedy! His whole spiel sounds like one of Ron Jeremy's stand up routine attempts.Only he does not have the presence of Ron Jeremy.

But you gotta give him credit; he is only $277,000 shy of his funding goal with almost four months to go.
Are we sure that this isn't just a brilliant troll by Hipolito?
Conform or be cast out!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

See, I was thinking that this Indigogo campaign was a hoax. I mean who really starts out the gate with a statement about the obsessiveness of Neanderthal, using such offensive terms as "Mental Retardation" (yeah, I'm sure that is how "scientists" characterize this).

"You can ride turtles."

And the pitch is TWENTY MINUTES LONG. At first I think it is a joke, but it is so ridiculous that it is probably true.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

baelthazar wrote:See, I was thinking that this Indigogo campaign was a hoax. I mean who really starts out the gate with a statement about the obsessiveness of Neanderthal, using such offensive terms as "Mental Retardation" (yeah, I'm sure that is how "scientists" characterize this).

"You can ride turtles."

And the pitch is TWENTY MINUTES LONG. At first I think it is a joke, but it is so ridiculous that it is probably true.

I think his "mental retardation" line was a feeble attempt at some sort of humor (sarcasm...?). He has that conspiracy theory that Neanderthal were actually more intelligent and beautiful than homo sapiens, but paleontologists and other scientists working in related fields are working together to suppress the truth (this involves them fucking with the fossil finds to make neanderthal look bad). And of course, Cleve is one of those superior neanderthal.
Hard to tell if he actually believes this because it sounds pretty over the top but we are at a point where we have to accept that either Cleve is a complete troll who does not believe ANYTHING he has ever said or he believes everything he has ever said.
Last edited by Skeptic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Hrdina wrote:
Skeptic wrote:That video promotion thing is pretty bad. So bad it is funny! Cleve could not find a sound guy to consult about his voice-over stuff? It sounds like Donald Trump , unaware that you should not put your face right on the mic' when speaking into it. Every ragged breath of his is recorded in the voice over. And my forking word...hire a writer if you want to do comedy! His whole spiel sounds like one of Ron Jeremy's stand up routine attempts.Only he does not have the presence of Ron Jeremy.

Are we sure that this isn't just a brilliant troll by Hipolito?
I am only an egg. Whoever made that video is my master.

Grimiore looks pretty good to me and I'll buy it if it comes out and reviews well. Maybe I'll even AAR it but, as with CB's psychiatric care, that kind of undertaking would require a team effort!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

With 600+ hours of gameplay, that would be a long AAR! I love how the chart claims Wizardry had 400+ hours. How slowly are we reading the text boxes?

Also, that video makes combat look like a one button click affair, or am I crazy?
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

baelthazar wrote:With 600+ hours of gameplay, that would be a long AAR! I love how the chart claims Wizardry had 400+ hours. How slowly are we reading the text boxes?

Also, that video makes combat look like a one button click affair, or am I crazy?

I am pretty sure the game can be set up where you select each PCs actions ahead of time then when you click the "Start combat" button (whatever it's called) it goes like Wizardry 7. But yeah, it did look weird and you would expect a pitch video to pay better attention to such details.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Gentlemen, behold!
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?rw ... sbit=21499" target="_blank
The Grimoire demo is finally available at Filedropper. This is version 1.1 of the demo as version 1.0 had quite a lot of issues. Then again rumour has it this demo isn't without it's flaws either and there are already reports of crashes with this version too. One of the solutions being not to use the installer at all.
I have little time or desire to try it out, but I figured at least one of you would take a bullet for the team. :)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The demo is getting rave reviews around the net.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Peacedog wrote:The demo is getting rave reviews around the net.
The internet?
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

I did the download and install without any problem. However, it is still version 1.00. Also, turning off full screen caused a lockup.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Archnerd wrote:The internet?
No, the "net of life", a literal net. Well, I mean, the metaphorical net that we're hauled around in by the Great Fisherman. Which is a literal net from his perspective.

Also, my post was ironic but not about the net thing.
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

Good old Cleve....how would you not notice that the installer causes the game to crash constantly? Or the consistent crashes many are reporting even without using the installer? Was he using a 1995 PC to playtest this, so he never experienced any of this stuff? Hm.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I'm trying to imagine a world in which I would download a file created by Cleve and install it on my computer. I'm concerned it would delete all the pictures of my children and anyone else who isn't whiter than Tilda Swinton, then sign me up for the Better Bomb Shelters and Urine Reclamation Facilities Weekly.
Popehat, a blog.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Mr. Fed wrote:I'm concerned it would delete all the pictures of my children and anyone else who isn't whiter than Tilda Swinton, then sign me up for the Better Bomb Shelters and Urine Reclamation Facilities Weekly.
They've got a helluva swimsuit issue.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MindToyGames wrote:Good old Cleve....how would you not notice that the installer causes the game to crash constantly? Or the consistent crashes many are reporting even without using the installer? Was he using a 1995 PC to playtest this, so he never experienced any of this stuff? Hm.
THE i386 STILL HAS LIFE IN IT, DAMN YOU!
Covfefe!
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

Having tried this for a while:

It crashes a lot. Cleve claims to know why and is making an updated demo. Hope springs eternal.

What little I have been able to play has been most enjoyable. It reminds me of the first time I played Bane of the Cosmic Forge. Tough with no hand holding but places to see and risks to take. The atmosphere (sans crashes) is spot on. I'm (very) cautiously optimistic that there's a really enjoyable game here somewhere. If not, I'm sure I'll get plenty of entertainment out of the RPG Codex buffoons
OO, GWJ, QT3
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Played for about 4 minutes.

...I want 3 of those back.
Covfefe!
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

So -- any further impressions?
Popehat, a blog.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

The good:
It's Wizardry 7 all over again, but with more style. All sorts of secret things to find. I think if the promised content is in there, it's a winner. If he ever bugfixes the mess that it is that it'll be a fun game if you like old timey wizardy-alikes. I don't think it will be as frustratingly arcane as Wiz 7 was. Auto-walk, Auto-map and note-taking in game will make it much easier to navigate. When it hasn't crashed, I've had a lot of fun with it.

The bad:
It is buggy. It crashes often when combat begins and when you enter new areas. Cleve says he's on it, but I have massive doubts.
It has been tested on Windows XP and seemingly nothing else.
Cleve, from his statements, doesn't seem to understand basic error checking in programming, which is never good.

I would not recommend the demo right now. I'd wait until he fixes the crash bugs. Pencil in a few days sometime in October and you should be fine. I think if this game had appeared completely unhyped (think Knights of the Chalice or Helherron), it would be the best thing to come along for old timey RPG players in a long time. The hype history hurts this game's chances a lot.
OO, GWJ, QT3
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I sort of like the statement that the best solution is to "not use the installer at all." While I know what that meant, I think not installing the game sounds like a perfect plan! :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

baelthazar wrote:I sort of like the statement that the best solution is to "not use the installer at all." While I know what that meant, I think not installing the game sounds like a perfect plan! :P
WOPR wrote:The only winning move is to not use the installer at all...
:D
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

dbemont wrote:I did the download and install without any problem. However, it is still version 1.00. Also, turning off full screen caused a lockup.
New version up. Download and install work fine, and now I can use the configuration page, create a character and start a game... Very, very similar looking to Wizardry (Dark Savant). I did look far enough to judge quality yet.

If I knew nothing about Cleve and his track record, I'd say it looks interesting but very retro.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

My wife is a huge Wizardry fan, but there's no way in hell I'm going to recommend that she purchase and install this thing. Well, I guess maybe if enough OO people play it and live to tell the tale, I might reconsider.
Conform or be cast out!
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

Favorite part of this whole thing is watching a little bit of the money beg video thingy and hearing him say "Grimwah". It's awesome. The game should be called Grimwah.
OO, GWJ, QT3