EQ2 Launch Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

EQ2 Launch Impressions

Post by YellowKing »

Well, so far so good.

I got my copy last night. Registered without any problem and logged in without any problem. Game is running great, though admittedly today will be the true test as a lot more people will be getting their copies. Ran into some very slight combat lag a couple of times but nothing serious.

There are still some minor bug holdovers from beta, but again nothing too serious that I've seen so far. I did get one crash to desktop in 5 hours of play.

All in all had a blast. Got my guy off the Isle of Refuge, completed my Freeport citizenship quest, and made 8 before I had to log.

Some more tidbits for those who are interested:

- Monthly fee is $14.99, but you can sign up for 3-month, 6-month, and 1-year packages at a slight discount ($13.99 for 3, $12.99 for 6, $11.99 for 1 year). 1 month is included free.

- EQ2 Players bonus features are .99 cents each or $2.99 for all 4. However, everyone gets to sample all 4 for their first free month. I signed up for the advanced character profiles but skipped the rest.

- Game cards are already a payment option.

So far a very smooth launch. I'm going to be interested to see how the servers handle the big slam tonight, but with the login stress tests they did in beta I think they've got their ducks in a row.
Debris

Post by Debris »

Which server are you on YK? It would be nice to know somebody in case I have any questions.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm on Mistmoore, the server I think the Wanderers were leaning towards. I'm not going to be joining the Wanderers this go-round since I have a group of friends who have been planning a guild since June, but I still plan on contacting any GGers on Mistmoore.

My name's Alastor, I'm a Barbarian (soon-to-be) Berserker.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Wanderers ended up on Crushbone, fyi.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wanderers ended up on Crushbone, fyi.
Hehe, figures.

By the way, let me just ask everyone to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever pre-order anything from EB. They really screwed the pooch on EQ2.

I pre-ordered my EQ2 DVD in June. Paid for overnight shipping. So imagine my irritation when the local stores have them in on Monday night, and everyone who ordered from GameStop or the SOE online store has their copy in their hands Monday.

Called EB and they basically said, "We fucked up." They said they signed a contract with SOE not to ship the game until Monday, meaning nobody would get theirs until Tuesday at the earliest. Meanwhile, SOE and Gamestop were free to ship theirs out on Friday or Saturday so that everyone got them on Monday. Meanwhile I have nothing on my doorstep.

So last night I ended up picking up the CD version at the store just so I could play (and so that I could at least play on the night I *should* have been able to play on after paying for overnight shipping). When the DVD version comes in I'll have to take it back to the store and get a refund.

Basically EB ripped me off with their shipping charges, which are non-refundable, and at the end of the day I ended up having to settle for a CD version instead of a DVD like I ordered 5 freaking months ago.

EB online has forever lost my business due to this incident. Even the employee I talked to at the local EB store said he would never pre-order through the online site. What really chaps my ass is that if I had just selected in-store pickup I could have saved myself $10, got the DVD version on Monday, and been a very happy camper.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Well i got my copy last night. Keep in mind i never played the beta, and i intentionaly ignored previews, movies and any other info about the game. I say that because im having a hard time not gushing about this one. I suppose the best way to sum this up would be to say this: I was as impressed with this game, as i was that first day in EQ. There where times when i was playing it that my friend and i would be stunned into silence over just how good a spell looked. Im sure you guys already know its pretty tho. These people took every little thing that was good from other games, and then put it in thier game. We have hyperlinked names for easy tells. an instanced newbie zone, thats not just about learning your character, but also a class on whats happening in the world. I did not level on rats, or bugs or bats. i have magic items at level 2 (i did not get a magic item in the original untill level 15 or 20.) Most importantly i think, is the fact that i never once went out to hunt for experiance. I always had a story grounded objective, that eventualy led to me getting a level.

Anyway first impressions are important and all, but the real test will be in 30 days, when i decide if i want to continue my subscription.

If anyone has any questions id be very happy to answer them to the best of my abillities.

Lastly, having played both WOW and the Matrix Online. EQ just blows these guys away. i was honestly expecting an EQ version of what WOW is today, i got so much more, and im uber happy about that.

P.S. My name is AttA and i am on the Unrest Server.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Sadly, my Gamestop did not get the game yesterday, so I have to go pick it up today.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

YellowKing wrote:I'm on Mistmoore, the server I think the Wanderers were leaning towards. I'm not going to be joining the Wanderers this go-round since I have a group of friends who have been planning a guild since June, but I still plan on contacting any GGers on Mistmoore.

Hey YK... you have a forum message from me.

Plus... mind if I join you on Mistmoore? I have my copy in hand right now. :-)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

MSD,

Sent you a reply to your forum account. Email me back if you have any questions.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Got the game in one hand, and my starter kit in the other.

How do I go about getting my Jboots?! I didn't see a key or anything in the starter kit.

I'll be on Unrest if anyone else ends up there.

EDIT: NM, starter kit launched and told me everything I need to do.

Starter Kit Owners:

If you received a Starter Kit by preordering and have not yet gone through the process of redeeming your code for the journeyman boots, please hold off doing so until you have registered your key for the retail version of the game.

Those of you who have already redeemed your codes are fine and can claim the boots normally. We're posting this because there could be an issue if someone were to redeem the code between the time the beta servers are brought down and the live ones come up. You'll be fine if you follow the steps in this order:

Install the retail version of the game
Register the EverQuest II account key included in the box
Redeem the code for the journeyman boots found in the Starter Kit
Again, there is no need for anyone who has already redeemed their code to worry; your account is flagged properly. This is simply a preventative measure to ensure that nobody has a problem going forward.
Depward

Post by Depward »

Alright, here's a question to all of you:

I'm an MMORPG newbie. The only one I've ever picked up is FFXI and I picked it up on launch day. I played until around April the next year, quite for some time, but I've been playing ever since August again. I really enjoy FFXI. The graphics are appealing to me. I like the "job" system and how I can level anything. But it just seems like many people are going to leave that game for either EQ2 or WoW. So I thought I might give EQ2 a try . . .

So, I guess the question is - will I like it? I just don't see how I'm going to play FFXI more. Having to constantly farm is pretty crappy, as well as forced grouping and such. I know, it's a general question (and one that could easily be answered with a "Well try it out then!") but I was wondering if anyone had any input for me.
depward on the Playstation Network
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

Hehheh... I was wondering when you'd start to feel the rough treadmilling in FFXI, Depward. For what it's worth, FFXI happens to be one of the WORST offenders of it.

As to your question, that's a tough un'. When you come right down to it, EQ2 is pretty much the same old thing. Kill mobs to get XP, and level up. It has some fresh ideas, a nice mythos to back it up, and the strong brandname of the original.

My advice would be to check up on a few websites that has more detailed info on EQ2. For what it's worth, I'll give it a shot, because the original Everquest was a tremendous experience to me, even though I burned out on it after 3 months.
tals

Post by tals »

AttAdude wrote:Well i got my copy last night. Keep in mind i never played the beta, and i intentionaly ignored previews, movies and any other info about the game. I say that because im having a hard time not gushing about this one. I suppose the best way to sum this up would be to say this: I was as impressed with this game, as i was that first day in EQ. There where times when i was playing it that my friend and i would be stunned into silence over just how good a spell looked. Im sure you guys already know its pretty tho. These people took every little thing that was good from other games, and then put it in thier game. We have hyperlinked names for easy tells. an instanced newbie zone, thats not just about learning your character, but also a class on whats happening in the world. I did not level on rats, or bugs or bats. i have magic items at level 2 (i did not get a magic item in the original untill level 15 or 20.) Most importantly i think, is the fact that i never once went out to hunt for experiance. I always had a story grounded objective, that eventualy led to me getting a level.

Anyway first impressions are important and all, but the real test will be in 30 days, when i decide if i want to continue my subscription.

If anyone has any questions id be very happy to answer them to the best of my abillities.

Lastly, having played both WOW and the Matrix Online. EQ just blows these guys away. i was honestly expecting an EQ version of what WOW is today, i got so much more, and im uber happy about that.

Atta. Out of interest what PC spec do you have - i.e regarding the spell effects. Also quests are they 'right' or do they just feel like the standard kill or deliver missions packaged nicely?

Tals
Depward

Post by Depward »

Fellow wrote:Hehheh... I was wondering when you'd start to feel the rough treadmilling in FFXI, Depward. For what it's worth, FFXI happens to be one of the WORST offenders of it.

As to your question, that's a tough un'. When you come right down to it, EQ2 is pretty much the same old thing. Kill mobs to get XP, and level up. It has some fresh ideas, a nice mythos to back it up, and the strong brandname of the original.

My advice would be to check up on a few websites that has more detailed info on EQ2. For what it's worth, I'll give it a shot, because the original Everquest was a tremendous experience to me, even though I burned out on it after 3 months.
Funny thing is - about 30 minutes after posting, I went out and bought the DVD version to give the free month a try. Everquest II - here I come!

BTW - what server are you going to play/playing on Fellow?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Where's all the rats?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, after 2 days of play I can truthfully say that this probably won't last beyond the 30 day trial period for me.

My reason is based almost solely on the fact that I can't pick and choose combat arts, skills, etc. when levelling. They're just assigned. That means that everyone choosing the same archetype will have, basically, the exact same character. Armor and weapons may be different, and some magical items as well, but for all intent and purpose, I'm creating the same fighter as the guy next to me choosing the same character path.

Now, if I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm level 8 and will probably hit 10 tonight, but from reading the manual and talking to other players, it seems that my above assessment is true.

I'm sure others may like the game and I don't want to disparage ANYONE from playing if the lack of choice in the deeper character creation isn't a problem. The game is amazing graphic's wise, the quests are actually kind of fun, the player apartment (although done initially in Anarchy Online) is well done, and the people playing so far are really quite nice and helpful (from what I've seen).

It's just that, for me, I can't get past the fact that I have no control over what the finer points of my character are going to be. The reason I stuck with Shadowbane as long as I did (about 3 or 4 months) and City of Heroes (the same) was the ability to pick and choose the powers/skills/etc. that I wanted when levelling. Without that option the game just loses my interest quickly.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

tals wrote:
AttAdude wrote:Well i got my copy last night. Keep in mind i never played the beta, and i intentionaly ignored previews, movies and any other info about the game. I say that because im having a hard time not gushing about this one. I suppose the best way to sum this up would be to say this: I was as impressed with this game, as i was that first day in EQ. There where times when i was playing it that my friend and i would be stunned into silence over just how good a spell looked. Im sure you guys already know its pretty tho. These people took every little thing that was good from other games, and then put it in thier game. We have hyperlinked names for easy tells. an instanced newbie zone, thats not just about learning your character, but also a class on whats happening in the world. I did not level on rats, or bugs or bats. i have magic items at level 2 (i did not get a magic item in the original untill level 15 or 20.) Most importantly i think, is the fact that i never once went out to hunt for experiance. I always had a story grounded objective, that eventualy led to me getting a level.

Atta. Out of interest what PC spec do you have - i.e regarding the spell effects. Also quests are they 'right' or do they just feel like the standard kill or deliver missions packaged nicely?

Tals
3.0ghz p4
Geforce FX 5900 ultra
1gig DDR-2700
Sb Audigy 2
gigabyte GB-knxp(i think thats the right one) mother boad

As for the quests they are definatly what you would expect when you hear the word quest. there are fed ex quests, there are kill x number of mobs quest and there are kill X mobs to get Y item quests. People often complain about that in these games, but i honestly have trouble thinking of another kind of quest you could use as much as these. So for me its how these quest mesh in the game. As it stands now i have yet to hunt for exp or farm for exp or items. thats all provided by the quests along with nifty stories. Another point for the quests is they are keeping me moving from zone to zone. i dont have time to camp or farm, because ive got 2 or 3 quests in some zone ive never been too. Lastly, if you are a original EQ player like me they have done a really good job putting the two together story and history wise. For instance in the newbie zone i learned some info about King Akanon and why he is a clockwork in the original EQ. I always wondered about that.

Anyway, as it stands im Very very happy about the whole game. The only real sticking point is the fact that skills/spells are assigned too you. Honestly tho, this is just a different way to do the same thing. In COH, yeah you choose from a couple of avalible powers and it gives you the illusion of choice but the fact is there is a cap on the powers you can choose based on your level, so chances are even tho you chose caltrops over smoke nade next time you level you get to choose from the powers you did not get last level. In the end a character with the same primary and secondary powers will be the same as any other barring of course the enhancments and to me those where mostly for looks at least at level 20 they where. of course thats all opinion so YMMV.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I just wanted to pipe in to say how cool the EQ2Players web site is.

We find out that the Wanderers guild is the largest on our server. You can see your equipment, acheivements and other stuff.

It's just way cool.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

hepcat wrote:Okay, after 2 days of play I can truthfully say that this probably won't last beyond the 30 day trial period for me.

My reason is based almost solely on the fact that I can't pick and choose combat arts, skills, etc. when levelling. They're just assigned. That means that everyone choosing the same archetype will have, basically, the exact same character. Armor and weapons may be different, and some magical items as well, but for all intent and purpose, I'm creating the same fighter as the guy next to me choosing the same character path.

Now, if I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm level 8 and will probably hit 10 tonight, but from reading the manual and talking to other players, it seems that my above assessment is true.
You are wrong. There are racial traits you can choose from as you level, creature masteries you can pick from, and things like that. Therefore, two fighters won't necessarily be the same because one might have an extra attack against orcs and the other against goblins. Or, an elven fighter will have different skills than a dwarven fighter.

You will get these choices and skills as you level.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks DiscoJ!

If I may ask, what level will I start seeing some more customization along these lines?

P.S. as i said, i wasn't trying to discourage players, i was just voicing an early impression and hoping that i could be proven wrong. :D
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

hepcat,

I was past the level in beta when you first were offered them so I am not sure of the level when you will first start seeing them. I am thinking it was something like level 10 to start and that might have been the one where you pick which stat you want to increase. The next one was a couple of levels later and I believe you got to pick a creature that you could fight against better than normal. I assume the next choice is your racial tradition. Of course, there are more choices overall than chances ot decide, so you won't be able to have everything and players will have to pick and choose. Also, I believe for each choice type (stat increase, creature mastery, and racial tradition), you get 4 choices overall.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, i look forward to seeing this in action.

although i'll be trying WOW tonight (if I can get in) just for comparison's sake. i feel i have to since I spent 3 DAYS DOWNLOADING IT! :lol:
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

The first "special" ability choice is when you hit 8, and at that level you pick which of your 5 primary stats you want to improve. I'm playing a Scout, and even though they use Agility and (somewhat)Int (for my advanced class) I chose Stamina because I'm a little Ratboy and don't have any hitpoints to spare.

I don't know when the other ability choices are though.

And I agree that the eq2players web stuff is very slick, though the site seems a bit laggy. The EQ2 Wanderers site is here
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My inventory is overflowing!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Depward

Post by Depward »

Jaymann wrote:My inventory is overflowing!
Hahahaha no doubt same here. I keep some stuff, but my bank is overflowing as well. Is there a way to somehow expand your inventory slots?
Depward

Post by Depward »

Is anyone else unable to connect to even the Jump-station for EQII right now? I have once . . . and then it said I wasn't a registered for EQII. And now I can't connect completely. By the way, this is at 9 pm PST
Depward

Post by Depward »

Nvm - apparently it was a server wide kind of problem for a little bit.

So far I'm a level 9 Priest on the Butcherblock server. I'm really enjoying the game so far. Am I going to cancel my subscription to FFXI for this though? I'm still on the fence . . .

There are a LOT of quests. And, as far as I know, I'm not able to like, nav point anything on the map. So if I visit someone in East Freeport or something, and I do the quest, it takes me awhile to find that person again. Also, I partied with 4 other people on Refugee Island to kill the Orc. The party system seems . . . odd for me. I think I just need to get used to it. But I left to go grab some coffee, came back, and my party was gone. So I checked the map to see if they showed up - nope. I wish they had that function. But anyways, small gripes.

The town, at least Freeport, seems HUGE. Plus there's a boat load of quests to do.

About it for me for some early impressions.
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

Slightly off topic of launch impressions, I was wondering if I would like this game.

I have played DAOC for 3 months and the Lineage beta, pretty much all of the MMORPG experience that I have.

4 quick questions.

I am a solo player 90% of the time, and will likely be a solo player in this game. Is it enjoyable soloing?

I got tired of grinding after I hit level 26 in DAOC. Is it likely to happen to me again in EQ2?

I have an old comp. Athlon 1.33, 512 ram, and an ATI 9600 Pro 128. Will that be enough for normal/medium settings, or will I have to turn everything off?

I am on dialup *sigh*. Can I play this on dialup, or is it akin to trying to play CS on dialup?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Arnold,

Based on your questions I would recommend holding out for World of Warcraft.
I am a solo player 90% of the time, and will likely be a solo player in this game. Is it enjoyable soloing?
EQ2 is soloable, but more rewarding in groups. I found World of Warcraft to be much more conducive to pure soloing.
I got tired of grinding after I hit level 26 in DAOC. Is it likely to happen to me again in EQ2?
I think it's quite likely you'll run into that in any MMORPG.
I have an old comp. Athlon 1.33, 512 ram, and an ATI 9600 Pro 128. Will that be enough for normal/medium settings, or will I have to turn everything off?
You'll definitely have to turn some settings down. Another reason why I'd recommend WoW - it will play much better than EQ2 on your system.
I am on dialup *sigh*. Can I play this on dialup, or is it akin to trying to play CS on dialup?
You should be able to play both games on dialup. I've read reports from people who have had no problem playing either game on a 56k modem.
knob

Post by knob »

Is there anything in EQ2 Retail that'll change my mind if I disliked what I saw in Beta?

I'm getting paid today. I need to buy a game. Halo 2 seems to be more of the same and I disliked the first one. EQ2's beta made me decide that I shouldn't jump on that right away..

The only others I can think of are Kohan 2, Warhammer, or Pacific Fighters.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

msduncan wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I'm on Mistmoore, the server I think the Wanderers were leaning towards. I'm not going to be joining the Wanderers this go-round since I have a group of friends who have been planning a guild since June, but I still plan on contacting any GGers on Mistmoore.

Hey YK... you have a forum message from me.

Plus... mind if I join you on Mistmoore? I have my copy in hand right now. :-)
OH NOOOS! IT IS TEH AXIS OF NEO-CONS! :wink:
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

How are crowd's in the EQ2 starting areas. I like what I see in the wow open beta but too many people fighting for the same few mobs and standing in lines for quest ones is making me want to wait at least a few weeks after launch to grab it. Does EQ2 have the same problem?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gwartok wrote:How are crowd's in the EQ2 starting areas. I like what I see in the wow open beta but too many people fighting for the same few mobs and standing in lines for quest ones is making me want to wait at least a few weeks after launch to grab it. Does EQ2 have the same problem?
It's surprisingly not that bad for a new launch. I was worried about one quest involving a rather popular graveyard on the newbie island, but last night i had very little trouble soloing without have groups swatting everything.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

One nice thing about EQ2 is that zones are instanced (ala City of Heroes). So once a zone becomes too crowded, another instance of the zone opens up. This keeps the camping down a little bit.

There are still quest mobs that are in high demand, so camping is still very much alive and well. But so far from what I've seen it's not nearly on the same level as EQ1 due to the instancing, faster respawn rates, etc.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

heh yes the instancing does help with zone lag. no more EC lagfest.

I've often wondered if instancing like that would help cut down on the Zerg effect in DAoC perhaps it would encourage the more tactical 10 vs 10 type combat that is more entertaining. /shrug