Football Manager 2005 - The sequel to Championship Manager

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Napoleon

Football Manager 2005 - The sequel to Championship Manager

Post by Napoleon »

So, this week saw the release of Football Manager 2005 in Europe. This is basically the new version of Championship Manager. The name still rests with Eidos though, and the developers have since joined Sega, so that's the reason for the name change.

If you liked any of the previous Championship Manager games, you'll also really like this one. Changes are mostly in the speed of processing (the game is still a system hog though!) and the interface, which has (finally) seen a thorough reworking.

Players now have even more different attributes than before, including lots of hidden attributes. A large number of players now also has a picture on their stats page, so you'll know what they look like. This was a bit disheartening to me, because it turned out my heroic Tranmere Rovers, that I led to the Premiership in CM03-04, consisted of a large number of incredibly ugly english bastards :D

When viewing the 2D match, players now behave more realistically than before. You also notice much better the effect of the tactical changes you make.

Media interaction has also been improved. Last year, you could release media stories about your players (either praise them or criticize them), now you can also release stories about opposing clubs and/or their managers. It also happens from time to time that a journalist asks you a question you have to answer.

For those looking for a soccer manager: this is the best there is, and nothing comes close. For those that already own a ChampMan game: get this one too! :D. The stat updates are always welcome, and it runs much smoother than it used to (both in processing time and in actual interaction with the interface).

I'm currently halfway through a season where I'm trying to bring Celta de Vigo back to the Spanish Primera Division. And within the next month or so, my new buy Freddy Adu should be making his first appearance on the european pitches :D
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yep a great game.

I`m really loving this version. The best version since cm 97/98 imo.

i`m playing as Everton, Have been given 10mill to spend on players, so far spent 7 mill and and now in debt to the tune of 9 mill. Apparently if you get too heavy into debt you go into administration and get docked 9 points.

The tactics are better and you definitely notice the changes you make.

I have made the mistake of playing a huge database and 21 leagues and it is a tad slow even on my machine.

Any footy fans should try the gold demo available at www.sigames.com
It allows for 6 months play(about 30 hours of play).

All in all a great game.

Iain
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Is there one for American Football?
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Not from that company, I don't think. Something that is popular with the football sim crowds and is along the same lines is Front Office Football, though I think they didn't release a product this year, but I could be wrong. There are probably others, but it is the only one I ever purchased. That company also has a college football one as well.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Si do do a Hockey one though. Eastside Hockey it`s called. Pretty much identical to Champ Manager 4.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Yeah, and I believe they are now doing OOTP Baseball.
Isak

Post by Isak »

Reemul wrote:I have made the mistake of playing a huge database and 21 leagues and it is a tad slow even on my machine.
I did the same thing. Started up a game with the recommended number of leagues (just let the game pick for me) and a huge database, and that was just too much. So now I restarted a game with just my favorite leagues, and nothing else.

Started as an unemployed Coach, and could only get a job working for Exeter in the Conference :D Oh well, it's fun at any level - i'd rather develop the next Wayne Rooney, than go out and pay a million bucks for him. ;)

It's definitely the best version in a long time. I love the new upcoming/previous game comments and all the little details, and the match engine seems much improved over CM 03/04, in that it's not as easy to predict the outcome of a match after the first 15 minutes, as I thought it was in the CM4 & CM03/04 engines. You can be controlling the match one minute, and on your heels the next minute. Brilliant stuff, IMHO.

My only gripe is that Manchester City are far too underrated - they're winning the Championship this year, and the game doesn't seem to reflect that at all. ;)
Edgar Newt

Multiplayer?

Post by Edgar Newt »

Does this game have multiplayer (over the Internet)? And is it stable? I would only contemplate purchasing the game if I could play seasons with my brothers who are scattered throughout the LA basin?

Thanks!
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yep it has online play so you could that, apparently it works pretty good as well.

Yeah Man City for the league :).

Saying that, i`m playing as Everton adn doing ok, 1st up i had 10mill to spend, then i had a buy otu clearing all my debt and giving me an extra 9mill to spend, so i can`t wait till the transfer window.

So thats my prob, i don`t want to start again with a smaller database in case none of the goodies happen so i`m gonna stick with it for a while longer. :P
moss_icon

Re: Multiplayer?

Post by moss_icon »

Edgar Newt wrote:Does this game have multiplayer (over the Internet)? And is it stable?
it does have multiplayer, but i have read in a few places that it's a bit slow. not been able to try it myself yet.

single player has all the old magic though. i have half life 2 on the way, but all i want to play is FM2005! currently managing grays in the southern conference (i am so glad they added a further level to the english league structure), battled to 13th in season one (6pts off the playoffs) and now regrouping for the next one. can't wait :)

i've signed tommy rooney, wayne's cousin!
moth moth moth brown moth
exGoneGolder

Post by exGoneGolder »

I had read on the SI forums that the game was currently WAY too easy. Any opinions on this? Have you found it a challenge or are you winning every game?
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

depends which team you chose to be. if you are man united, of course you're going to win every game. play in the lower reaches of the leagues and it is much tougher. i started a career as nuneaton and lost my first six games in a row. :oops:
exGoneGolder

Post by exGoneGolder »

While I agree with what you are saying. I have read that even in the lower leagues, that you can get them to the Premeireship very easily.
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

perhaps those people are using killer tactics or something. i just know that i find it much harder in the lower leagues. that's my experience anyway.
Isak

Post by Isak »

I found it very easy to promote from the Conference league ... and then even easier to get myself kicked back into it again, with Exeter. :D

I think it's much harder than CM 03/04 or even CM4, but your mileage may vary - as in real football, I guess skill has to be accompanied by a good deal of luck if you can take a Conference league club to the Premiership in a few years, if ever. Check out the demo if you're in doubt whether or not to buy it. I'm definitely not disappointed, and I've been playing this game since the days of CM1 :)
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

wow, CM1, with the vidiprinter and all fake players? i joined at 92/93, which is still the classic version for me.
Isak

Post by Isak »

Hm... not sure - I think the CM1 game had real players (though probably not very many) but that may just have been the PC version, which was the only one I played. Never did try the Amiga version.

In fact, the game wasn't very good at the time - it had a few novel ideas, but I was a bigger fan of Premier Manager, and the ancient German 'Bundesliga Manager' at the time. But since CM2, there's never really been another Footy Manager game for me, though I am among the (possibly very few) people who actually enjoyed Ultimate Soccer Manager from Sierra for a while. 8)
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

once i had played cm92/93 i could never get into premier manager, i thought it was boring! it had a bit more depth but it never engaged me in the way that champ did.

cm2 was techinically superior to 92/93 in every area, but i guess i still hold a candle for my first love. :lol:

i will not attempt to comment on USM, other than to agree with you that you would be among the very few. :wink:

ever try total club manager? if not, don't!
Isak

Post by Isak »

moss_icon wrote:i will not attempt to comment on USM, other than to agree with you that you would be among the very few. :wink:
Heh, no doubt about that. I think it was probably because it had the financial aspects that CM was lacking (and to some degree it still is). USM was a Football Club Chairman game, and I found that refreshing. But don't get me started on transfer systems, player search, training, match engine, or stuff like that, or I will probably soon be among the very few people who used to like USM but then decided not to. ;)
ever try total club manager? if not, don't!
LOL, thanks. I don't think I was in any real danger of approaching it, but it's nice to get a confirmation that it's not worth spending my money on.
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

wasn't there an option in USM to bribe teams to throw matches or something? i must admit i was rather taken by the stadium building aspect :)
Isak

Post by Isak »

Yes, you could 'rig' a match - and even place bets on the outcome of your own matches. :D

Stadium building was fun, but I never got the hang of the whole 'hot-dog stand' aspect of the grounds. I was never sure when more stands were needed, so I just kept adding once in a while, and eventually drove my clubs near bankruptcy because of it. :roll: