EQ, ATI and poor framerate

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Coskesh

EQ, ATI and poor framerate

Post by Coskesh »

I updated to the latest ATI 4.10 drivers. EQ2 runs like crap now, I was getting 3 x the framerate in Beta with older 4.04 or something drivers- not exactly sure which version.

What drivers are you all using for EQ2? That's really the only thing that's changed since Beta.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I wish I could tell you. It's been crashing on me 5 minutes in. I was about to update the newest drivers; (not sure what I am running right now.)
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

I'm using 4.09, and I haven't had any problems at all; performance is slick, probably even better than I expected. Using a Radeon X800 Pro.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

I've been using 4.10 and have not had any issues - thru Beta and on release also. This is with an X800SE.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Odd. I have my graphics settings ingame set lower than I had them in beta, yet I get slow down a lot. Using a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Gonna try the 4.07, I think that is what I had then. Maybe there is an in-game setting I am missing that is set rediculously high.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

my buddy is using the 4.07 rev and reports that its working great.

ahh ATI driver swapping, how fun.

*reminds his Geforce that he loves it*
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

AttAdude wrote:my buddy is using the 4.07 rev and reports that its working great.

ahh ATI driver swapping, how fun.

*reminds his Geforce that he loves it*

This is my first ATI. Graphically, it looks better (colors more vibrant) than all the GeForce cards I've had, but the drivers are definitly cumbersome.

My friend also recommended the 4.07 drivers.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm depressed.

I just don't have the time to devote to these things like I used to. EQ2 is crashing (screen just freezes up) anywhere between 2 minutes and 10 minutes in.

ATI 9800 pro w/ 4.10 (I just updated them.)

Any clues what I could try next?
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Bob wrote:I'm depressed.

I just don't have the time to devote to these things like I used to. EQ2 is crashing (screen just freezes up) anywhere between 2 minutes and 10 minutes in.

ATI 9800 pro w/ 4.10 (I just updated them.)

Any clues what I could try next?
how much RAM you got in your machine?

DirectX 9.0c?

If you want to post a DXDiag, I will post it on the forums (if you can't) and ask them for help - or have you talked to $ony already?
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Bob

Post by Bob »

how much RAM you got in your machine?

DirectX 9.0c?

If you want to post a DXDiag, I will post it on the forums (if you can't) and ask them for help - or have you talked to $ony already?
Gig of memory. I have the SAME problem with WH40K. I turned off some things and I seem to be able to play longer (could just be coincedence.) Maybe it's this Catalyst control center. I'm gonna kill it and see what happens.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Ok I finally grabbed the 4.08 drivers from ATI, they were the ones I was using before. Significant improvement in performance. Especially when you turn down the mipmap setting in the control panel.

Bob, I wish I could tell you what to do. Friend of mine was getting EQ2 crashes at char creation. He installed and reinstalled directx, drivers... finally I told him to try drivers from Omega. That seemed to work for him.

I only used them with my GeForce card, so I can't say as to how the ATI ones run. Might be worth a try... http://www.omegadrivers.net/.

EDIT: I did try the Omega drivers, and I find the 4.08 still give me better performance.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Cos, last night I did a full driver clean, and then installed those Omega drivers.

I was able to play for an hour and a half then I had to quit for the night. So they may have fixed it for me. I won't know for sure till I've played 2+ hours several days in a row.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

There's a new driver set that was released today; I'll try them when I get home late tonight if someone wants to know if they work ok with EQ2 or not, unless someone else wants to be doing driver rollbacks tomorrow morning before work instead of me ;)
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Installed the new 4.11 drivers from yesterday, and WOW.

I noticed an improvement as soon as the screen came up for the game. It was absolutely huge... I had my friend that I am playing with install them (he is using 9800 Pro 128mb card) and he also noticed an immediate jump in framerate.

I definitely very strongly recommend them based on what we saw.