UFO:Aftermath 1.4 patch now out

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

UFO:Aftermath 1.4 patch now out

Post by dbt1949 »

I just noticed there's a new patch out for this game fixing some irritating bugs. http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/support.html
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
CSL

Post by CSL »

Does it make the game um..........not suck?
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

I actually enjoyed this for a bit but eventually the missions became too redundant and tedious to continue. I liked the RPG qualities a lot--building up soldiers, equipping them, etc--and the combat was actually quite fun due to all the nifty weapons and gear. However, a couple major issues come to mind that kept me from playing for very long and that is:

- no mapping convention to see where you've been
- tedious "hunt down the final alien" crap
- the real-time/pause combat engine thing didn't work well with troops that were spread out because you could only see so much of the screen while the action was happening. So there was lots of pausing, scrolling, watching one group for a few seconds, pausing, scrolling to next group, watching them for a few seconds, etc..
- the AI usually just charged forward on your position, IIRC
- the AI reached a point of technology (rockets, mind control) that ruined any tactical fun the game had before that point--although I think there was a MOD to fix it.

Anyway, a half-decent game with lots of fun moments sprinkled in between lots more monotony and frustrations. The most unfortunate thing is, the monotonous and frustrating portions seem like ridiculously minor fixes.

Here's to hoping UFO: Aftershock gets those annoyances fixed up.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

To be perfectly honest altho I play the game a lot an enjoy it I do use the cheat codes.Mainly for the damn mind control crap.
Otherwise it should be "I say we nuke em from orbit.It's the only way to be sure"
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949