Half Life 2 has been released in Savannah Georgia

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Lynn wrote:Am I understanding this correctly -- they want me to bring my PC to a location that has an internet connection?

In my case, that would be work. I'm not about to bring my PC into the office, load all their network info onto it, get internet connection working, then haul it all home.

No thanks. I'll take a pass on this one.
Or you could install the program on your work computer and then copy the clientregistry.blob file to your computer at home and play.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Why does gamespot.com have it being released today in less than two hours?

www.gamespot.com

Check the HL2 clock on the main page.

Nevermind. Thats for the full review I think.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Woo hoo! I talked to the-manager-who-shall-remain-nameless and he said I could pick it up at closing time (8pm). All I need is a dark bag with which to secret it out of the store.

When I heard about the paper sleeves in the regular edition I decided the DVD edition was worth the extra dough so I prepurchased that.

Question: is the new Source engine "remix" of the original Half-life also locked until midnight or can you get at that sooner? I'd love to take a tram-ride down memory lane before the all-you-can-eat headcrab buffet opens at midnight.
none

Post by none »

i believe half-life: source will also be unlocked at midnight pst, along with day of defeat: source. a little over twelve more hours. woot.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Gamespot gives it a 9.2...full review was just posted 8)
Gamespot wrote:When you combine the strong single-player campaign of Half-Life 2 with the popular online play of Counter-Strike, the result is one of the most complete and compelling first-person shooter packages available. While Half-Life 2 breaks little new ground, it's still a superb and engaging first-person shooter, as well as an amazing technological accomplishment.
i beat morton! ;)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

The Gamespot review is up.

Off to read it, if I can get it to load! Everyone and their mother is apparently visiting that site right now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rrmorton wrote: Question: is the new Source engine "remix" of the original Half-life also locked until midnight or can you get at that sooner? I'd love to take a tram-ride down memory lane before the all-you-can-eat headcrab buffet opens at midnight.
There has been no word of when HL:Source will be available. HOWEVER, if you just go with Steam, you could be playing the original HL within 10 minutes - assuming you're not on dialup.

Do Steam. All the cool kids are.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Sounds like Gamespot thought the story was slightly disappointing.

But this is the biggest bummer I found in the review:
Another surprise is the somewhat disappointing performance by the game's artificial intelligence. Even on the tougher difficulty levels, most of the humanoid enemies don't seem to show the same kind of intelligent behavior that they did in the previous game.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

I gotta dig up my pre-order from a year ago so I can pick it up tommorrow or so. (sigh) So many good games, so little time... :)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

In the face of all this hype, a 9.2 is practically a pan. I'm gonna write an angry email! :wink:
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Well, the review is pretty much what I expected. Though I imagine I'll disagree with them about the story since that flies in the face of everything I've seen about the game. I guess we'll able to be able to decide for ourselves in a few hours :). I'm so glad I decided to take tomorrow off from work.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
knob

Post by knob »

So it's for sure getting unlocked at Midnight? I thought it was 3am EST?
If I had a sig, would you read it?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

It's midnight PST, so 2am CST and 3am EST.

IGN's review is up! They gave it a 9.7.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html?fromint=1

Here's a snippet:
Half-Life 2 is, simply put, the best single-player shooter ever released for the PC. It does so many things right in so many ways that it might be possible to write a thesis on the topic of Half-Life 2 compared to other single player shooters.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

Concerning Day of Defeat: Source, I'm pretty sure that it won't be available at launch. I think I read this in a F.A.Q. on the DoD forums (it was a while ago); several of the DoD developers said that they had been assigned to work on CS: Source, and that they would go back to working on DoD: Source once CS had launched (or something to that effect).

It probably should have been made a bit clearer that DoD: Source wouldn't be available at launch, but it's not that big a deal. Day of Defeat is my favorite on-line shooter of all time, so I'm willing to wait a bit for (what I hope to be) an impressive product.

Since it will be available later, I'd assume that there will be a way to purchase it individually over Steam - but I haven't seen any pricing information for people who want to add it later. Still, I'll probably end up going with the Steam Silver package; just $10 more for both DoD: Source and HL1: Source.

As for HL1: Source, I'm pretty sure that the only real difference now is the water effects- all of the models and textures are the originals. In last month's PC Gamer HL2 extravaganza, Valve mentioned that they fully expect modders to have a field day with it; I suspect that was the plan all along; port the original game to the new engine, then let the modders really finish it up. It'll be cool to see what people come up with, but that also probably means that it's not worth worrying too much about HL1: Source at this point.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Woo hoo! I got my DVD copy and I'm installing it right now!