Will WoW work on a dialup connection??

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Beergut

Will WoW work on a dialup connection??

Post by Beergut »

Planning to get a highspeed hookup in the next 6 months or so, but don't have it yet.
Am I out of luck playing WoW on my 56K dialup connection?
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

I've read it will, in theory, but Im on cable highspeed, and since open beta the servers have lagged horridly. I picked a server near me and it's still not unusual for my ping to be in the high 300's. Im hoping this is just a product of testing and that the retail won't be like this. I'd hold off for now though on dialup, until the server stability is better. Hopefully someone on dialup themselves can give you a better answer.
knob

Post by knob »

Interloper wrote:I've read it will, in theory, but Im on cable highspeed, and since open beta the servers have lagged horridly. I picked a server near me and it's still not unusual for my ping to be in the high 300's. Im hoping this is just a product of testing and that the retail won't be like this. I'd hold off for now though on dialup, until the server stability is better. Hopefully someone on dialup themselves can give you a better answer.

I don't know what the deal is. Lag has just gotten a lot worse these past few weeks. I hope the trend doesn't continue right through Release.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Koz

Post by Koz »

I had a ping of 250-300 playing on 11 last night and didn't have one trace bit of lag except occasionally with the quest mobs.

I've also had like 175-200 and been waiting 30 seconds to loot a corpse, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

I have friends in my guild who play on dial up and have been able to hold their own in all aspects of the game with no serious lag problems. The servers themselves have always been the main threat in the lag department.