Geneforge 3 preview!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Meghan

Geneforge 3 preview!

Post by Meghan »

I saw this posted at RPG Codex and just had to spread the love!

GF 3 screenshots

hmm. Looks like the old game. I like the new inventory screen. I'mn interested to see what the crafting system will be like.

For my money, GF 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. I don't mind the graphics but I'm not sure these screenshots will persuade his detractors. Gogo GF 3!
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Well, they always "look the same" - games in the same series that is. Some swedish dude once said you need to use an object (speaking in the programmatical sense) 3 times to break even on it. That specific application of the rule of 3 seems something Vogel tries to adhere to.

There will be new graphics, in the same style, but how many I couldn't tell you.

New inventory screen may be a mixed thing. I think it looks nifty, but if you were swapping equipment with frequency (as one might be incliend to do with a shaper, to maximize monster creation and then swap to "battle" gear), it might end up being a pain.

I wonder about crafting myself. Will it just be GF2 crafting in greater abundance? Will it be more extensive? Will it be more "freeform"?

I'm hoping that story wise, he evolves the factions somewhat. Also, I think I'd enjoy a setup where instead of directly aligning with them, you get a chance to align with third party agents (is that what the one screen shot is showing?) whose goals somewhat matchup with a faction. So in the end, you can still affect what happens to every faction, but part of the story revolves around additional issues.

And what was behind that door?

With a spring release, it sounds like windows beta will start May/June.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Cool news. Up with the Vogelnator! But I still gotta play Geneforge 2...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

In curious news, Vogel recently made a reference to the "Avernum 4 engine". I don't know that this means there will be an Avernum 4, or if he just enjoys that as a good code phrase for the engine, which is going to be a party based fantasy game.

So there's lots of speculation and gnashing on the spiderweb forums, and I'm reminded of how much of a mixed blessing the internet has been for game developers. I'd really like to see another original series from him. OTOH, if he has a good idea for A4, he should roll with it.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

by "third party agents" do you mean peple who aren't either shapers or serviles? I'd like to know more about the world history outside of the two stories we know. I suspect though that this will be mainly a resolution of sorts to the conflict from the first two games. I'd be happy to see more games in the GF universe though.

I'd be rather surprised if he had more games set in the Exile/Avernum world but maybe redoing Avernum inspired him.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

by "third party agents" do you mean peple who aren't either shapers or serviles? I'd like to know more about the world history outside of the two stories we know. I suspect though that this will be mainly a resolution of sorts to the conflict from the first two games. I'd be happy to see more games in the GF universe though.
I meant it as in not directly affiliated with any of the factions, like a certain entity in Geneforge 1.