HL2 steam question

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Greg Wak

HL2 steam question

Post by Greg Wak »

I heard that there are 2 million preorders for HL2. Hope this is true as I would like it to beat Halo 2 just because I'm a pc kinda guy. Since everyone who buys HL2 has to activate it with steam on tuesday, are we headind for a meltdown? I know they must have planned for this but thats alot of people hitting the ole server farm at once. It would drive me nuts to have this and not be able to activate it.
warning

Post by warning »

We won't know until Tuesday. I believe the 2 million figure is preloads, not preorders. If so, 2 million people have a locked copy of Half-Life 2 on their hard drive waiting for a (presumably) small executable file to be downloaded. I hope that means the servers won't get hammered but who knows?
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

No matter how small the activation download is I don't see how you can accomidate hundreds of thousands in the same instant but I'm sure they have thought of this. It will be interesting to see if it works on the piracy front.
knob

Post by knob »

Supposedly it's becoming unlocked at 3am in the morning?

I might set my alarm just so I can try to get it going early in the morning. Unfortunately, I have school ALL FREAKING DAY LONG. From 9am to about 8:30pm.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Valael wrote:Supposedly it's becoming unlocked at 3am in the morning?

I might set my alarm just so I can try to get it going early in the morning. Unfortunately, I have school ALL FREAKING DAY LONG. From 9am to about 8:30pm.
Depends on where you live. But if you change the clock on your PC will it make a difference when authenticating with Steam? Dunno.

I was on the fence about Steam, but after seeing that the game ships on 5 CDs, I decided there is no easier way to sneak new games in the house than to download them directly. No boxes to hide. No EB Games bags from the mall to ditch.

Miss you Rich. Hope you visit us soon. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

I'm pretty sure they're unlocking it at midnight Monday night (Tuesday morning), Pacific Standard Time. So that's 3:00am if you're on the east coast, and changing your system clock doesn't matter.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

From what I've read, Orpheo is correct.

The really sucky thing is that I'll be at work all day Tuesday, then at class Tuesday night until 9:00 with an unlocked copy of Half Life 2 just sitting at home, calling to me, begging to be played. It would sure be a shame if I was sick and couldn't go to class on Wednesday.
none

Post by none »

well, i seem to be detecting flu-like symtoms from the tone of your post. best be safe and stay home wednesday.
Al

*Cough* *Cough*

Post by Al »

Shit! You gave me your flu!
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

Ah, Ah, AH-CHOO!

Man, I got it too!
You complete me.
words
Caine

Post by Caine »

be careful what you wish for....

i just got back up after a week of the flu. damn timing that it happened before hl2 came out, but heh, i wouldn't have been able to play with all the coughing, fever, and headaches i had. bad news the flu.