Kohan 2 patch

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lee

Kohan 2 patch

Post by Lee »

Kohan 2 was patched 2 weeks ago and I didn't notice and no one seems to have posted here. Here's the link.
Version 1.1.5.0
================================================== ========

SUMMARY OF CHANGES

! Some stability improvements added.
! Added a new Decals performance option.
! Improved performance in several systems.
! Fixed several possible networking and out-of-sync issues.
! Several minor data bugs fixed.
! Added several new scenario maps for skirmish/multiplayer.
! No balance changes.

DETAILS OF CHANGES

System:
- Tooltipping defense value now lists all of the unit's resistances.
- Fixed terrain transitions to give parent property in all cases.
- Removed bogus hero moral modifier.
- Fixed order of technologies in Ceyah Undead Barracks.
- Altered Dylan's Robe artifact technology to apply to units.
- Fixed flat water possible causing out-of-sync.
- Fixed out-of-sync when one player fails to retrieve official map list.
- Updated GDIPlus.dll
- Improved Random Hero trigger to give faction-specific heroes.
- Player stats are updated more frequently.
- Decal toggle now appears under Video Options, helps framerate around cities.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Having some problems with the following error after installing and patching:

ERROR: Broken art 'data.rwdBuildings/LairsMonster/ScorpionNest/ScorpionNest.nif', FIX IMMEDIATELY.

Looks like something that slipped through QC.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zarathud wrote:Having some problems with the following error after installing and patching:

ERROR: Broken art 'data.rwdBuildings/LairsMonster/ScorpionNest/ScorpionNest.nif', FIX IMMEDIATELY.

Looks like something that slipped through QC.
I have encountered several Scorpion Nests since the patch with no issues. Odd.

IceBear
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

After a reinstall, I am having issues with the artic.nif. The patches seem to focus on balancing fixes, rather than bugfixes, and I am attempting to return this game.

After reading the Limited Warranty, it says that I can return the game to EB Games. Fat chance, since EB Games will not give refunds. I'll try my luck when I go to pick up HL2. Maybe I'll get a refund just to get me out of the store, but I'm not holding my breath.... It's only a matter of time before the PC game industry gets hit with a nice, large class action lawsuit over this "no return" nonsense.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I believe EB can do a trade though, so you'll get another copy of Kohan II, or you can just get in store credit... But I almost never buy new from EB, so I don't know jack.

There once was a time when a timegate employee would show up to bug fix this. Alas, those days are gone... but if you ask on the timegate forums they are really good about responding.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Zarathud, as you know the Uniform Commercial Code, Sales, has this to say:
Article 2, Section 316 (2) Subject to subsection (3), to exclude or modify the implied warranty of merchantability or any part of it the language must mention merchantability and in case of a writing must be conspicuous, and to exclude or modify any implied warranty of fitness the exclusion must be by a writing and conspicuous. Language to exclude all implied warranties of fitness is sufficient if it states, for example, that "There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof."

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2)

(a) unless the circumstances indicate otherwise, all implied warranties are excluded by expressions like "as is," "with all faults" or other language which in common understanding calls the buyer's attention to the exclusion of warranties and makes plain that there is no implied warranty; and

(b) when the buyer before entering into the contract has examined the goods or the sample or model as fully as he desired or has refused to examine the goods there is no implied warranty with regard to defects which an examination ought in the circumstances to have revealed to him; and

(c) an implied warranty can also be excluded or modified by course of dealing or course of performance or usage of trade.

(4) Remedies for breach of warranty can be limited in accordance with the provisions of this article on liquidation or limitation of damages and on contractual modification of remedy.
I've never seen a game box that prominently displayed a disclaimer of the implied warranty of merchantability.

Think we've got a class action in there? Or has it been tried?
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

IIRC, EB/Gamestop started this policy in reaction to ANOTHER class action suit they got (I think it was related to their console games). Usually people will buy a game from them, beat it in 8 hours, and then return it for full credit. They'll grab another game, marathon it, and return it for in store credit. So EB gets stuck with all these technically 'used' games that frankly aren't that used. So they sold them as new. In a more benign case, they opened the case, took out the disc, stored the disc in a secure location, and kept the empty cases out on the floor. Customers (i.e. high school kids), got pissed because they wanted a factory sealed copy.

With PC games it was worse because customers would burn a copy, and then return it. The Penny Arcade forums are absolutely stuffed with Game store employees, this issue was beaten to death over there.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Well, that's nice, but the law is the law, and game boxes do not comply with the UCC's requirement of a prominent warranty disclaimer.

I'm sueing.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Suing the game companies?

Well as long as you leave Blizzard, Bioware, Relic, and Timegate I guess I'd be okay with that.

Just take EA out.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The suit will have to be against EB and Gamestop. They're the merchants. Now all I need is plaintiffs.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And the kicker is EB Games double billed me for the game on top of it. The store manager referred me to the EB 800 number (after calling his superior, another ludicrious emasculation of point of sale customer rights/service). Needless to say, I'm really pissed now and will look to state and local consumer protection options (as well as challenging the charges) if I don't receive satisfaction tomorrow. But at least EB calls back to leave messages while I'm on the phone (even though their "issue" was the exact same issue the customer rep and I discussed resolving). If a copy of Half-Life 2 wasn't waiting for me....damn their souls.

I don't feel responsible for a company that cheats under 13/16 year olds as a business practice, let alone those who try to cheat ME. When faced with a "no-return store policy," the little suckers fold or throw a tantrum without any effect -- because they don't know the contracts are voidable by their parents. Why is EB suprised that the little tykes try to cheat them on console games?

As for the PC game customer who returns games after burning a copy, current customer tracking databases can identify these habitual scammers at the point of sale. When my father started to try that trick in the Commodore 64 days (at first because he didn't understand the packaging, then because he realized copy-returns were easy), the store warned him that any future return within a 3 month period (we went bi-weekly) would cause the store to reject any future returns. My father straightened out his act real quickly. For a while, places accepted returns but reserved the right to charge a "restock fee." Rumor is that Best Buy has already started tracking customers to actively weed out their "bad seeds." For better or worse, I can understand taking these measures (or even charging a "return fee") -- but a flat-out prohibition on returns reeks of consumer abuse.

If the game industry trumpets that its sales rival the Hollywood movie industry, the "protect innovation in a new industry" argument no longer applies. If I can walk out of a movie to demand a refund/credit from the cinema, or return a defective DVD to Target, why can't I do the same for a PC game?