HALO2 for PC, when?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JSHAW

HALO2 for PC, when?

Post by JSHAW »

I haven't been keeping up with any news on this or with Bungie's plans for HALO2 for PC. Anybody know WHEN or IF it's going to be released on PC format? Thanks!
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I believe there has been no announcement yet. No official indication of even IF there will be a PC version. But of course there will be. My guess is a year from now though, based soley on prior Halo and GTA PC releases.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Gearbox is already working on it. They have to find a way to remove co-op, some multiplayer modes and then tweak the graphics engine so that it can humble a 6800/X800 without anything to show for it.

But seriously, get ready for a wait. The first one took two years. I wouldn't expect any miracles with Halo 2.
warning

Post by warning »

Windows98 wrote:Gearbox is already working on it. They have to find a way to remove co-op, some multiplayer modes and then tweak the graphics engine so that it can humble a 6800/X800 without anything to show for it.

But seriously, get ready for a wait. The first one took two years. I wouldn't expect any miracles with Halo 2.
Don't forget locking the game at 30 frames per second.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

warning wrote:
Windows98 wrote:Gearbox is already working on it. They have to find a way to remove co-op, some multiplayer modes and then tweak the graphics engine so that it can humble a 6800/X800 without anything to show for it.

Don't forget locking the game at 30 frames per second.
And keeping the game incredibly boring.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I've never played it. Is it really that boring, or is that kind of a joke?

Like, if I compared Halo 1 to Half-Life, how would the comparison hold? I'm talking HL without the mods, mind you. SP to SP and MP to MP. Is is another case of people flocking to the game because they've never played a better FPS?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

IMHO Halo 1 was a bit overrated. The PC version was abortionized. As mentioned above, top video cards were brought to their knees for no damn reason whatsoever. BAD coding.

Half Life 1 was heads and tails overall over Halo 1.
me3000

Post by me3000 »

It was ok. Kept my attention for a few weeks and my kids for a few months. It's gathered dust ever since. Half Life was far superior.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

My take on Halo 1 was that it had a great first act followed by a lousy finish. At the start you had some nice outdoor levels, fun vehicles and cool fights with the AI. Then suddenly you get put in these mamoth indoor levels, that repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...sorry, they repeat and then instead of decent AI you have a new enemy that just swarms you. I'd compare the first half to Far Cry and the second to (a very lame) Serious Sam. I'm sure it was pretty darn cool at the time on the Xbox, especially the multiplayer, but the PC port was about two years two late with missing features and horrid performance.

I'm playing Halo 2 on the XBox now and so far (of course it's only the first half) it's much better then the first, but I'm not excited by a PC port. What really has me jumping is Grand Theft Auto. There's a game that meets the hype and will have a quality port to match.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Like WIndows 98, I didn't like the PC version of Halo at all, but I am enjoying Halo 2 on the XBox. While I have no idea why it's getting 98% in most reviews, it's still a fun game with a great soundtrack. The cut-scenes are amazing, reminding me a lot of Wing Commander, and the story is interesting. Bear in mind that I'm only playing the single player, as I'm sure multi-player is great fun. With the amount of copys Halo has sold on PC, I'm pretty sure that there will be a PC version of Halo 2.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

JayG wrote:Like WIndows 98, I didn't like the PC version of Halo at all, but I am enjoying Halo 2 on the XBox. While I have no idea why it's getting 98% in most reviews, it's still a fun game with a great soundtrack.
Probably because FPS games on the XBox generally sucked worse than Halo? I played on PC and XBox (for a week) and was underwhelmed. The crappy controls were less noticable on the XBox than the PC.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

whereas i think that Halo is one of the best multiplayer games on PC - and i've hardly played the Xbox version (i hate the gamepad)...

i also played it just fine with a Geforce 2 video card; no problems whatsoever. does have much more shiny things and filters going on with a Radeon 9700, tho.
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I've not heard any word on a PC release of Halo 2 and I wouldn't hold your breath. If it comes it'll be a ways off I'm sure.

It's getting 90%+ reviews because of the outstanding multiplayer modes and Live integration. The single-player portion, while still a solid B experience, was cut in places due to time constraints (3 years? no time? don't ask me). Halo 1/2 are every bit as good as Half-Life 1 to me due to strong story lines, oustanding AI, smooth controls and overall polish. Sure Halo 1 had a monotonous portion, but are we forgetting the abysmal Xen levels of Half-Life 1? :) Of course I played it on the X-Box so I got the intended experience, not the smarted-up PC-ized version. ;)

This year has been one of the best in a long time for me as I prefer FPS games with strong sci-fi stories: Far Cry, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, schwing! I'll be moseying dog-faced to the banana patch to pick up HL2 on my lunch break.