Pirates?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Vinda-Lou

Pirates?

Post by Vinda-Lou »

I haven't heard much about SM's Pirates lately. Are we expecting good things from this one? Any word on final version plays? In other words, should I pre-order this one?
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

I've pre-ordered, and there's plenty of previews around. My favourite is probably Gamespy's. Looks great!
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

If you pre-order, you get the cool DVD version with a few extras for the same price!
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Absolutely can't wait. First Day One purchase for me in a long, long while! :)
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Mithridates wrote:Absolutely can't wait. First Day Pne purchase for me in a long, long while! :)
Do you know when that first day will be? All their website says is "November", which is not terribly helpful.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition from Gamespot, and I received notice from them that the release date has changed from Nov. 16 to Nov. 22.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Yeah, it should be in stores on Tuesday the 23rd. I'm planning on a healthy dose of Pirates! and World of Warcraft over the long holiday weekend!!
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Now I'm drooling. This game looks excellent. I wonder how many more piggie banks to break open...
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

It got 80 odd % in the Uk Pc Zone, said it`s almost identical to the old version just with great graphics.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Reemul wrote:It got 80 odd % in the Uk Pc Zone, said it`s almost identical to the old version just with great graphics.
That's all it needs to be. Pirates! was the second best game I ever played, and the most addictive.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

This game would be a total must buy for me if it had some sort of "create a main character" instead of sticking everyone with the same guy.

I just have to make my Pirate King (ala Kevin Klein in "Pirates of the Penzance") I just have to.
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Tareeq wrote:
Reemul wrote:It got 80 odd % in the Uk Pc Zone, said it`s almost identical to the old version just with great graphics.
That's all it needs to be. Pirates! was the second best game I ever played, and the most addictive.
I'm curious, TQ, what's your first best game you ever played?

Oh, and something has me kinda niggled a bit about the Gamespy preview now that I've read it over again, where they say that there's no "tacking" against the winds anymore like in the original, that the ship now steers like a car, wind or no wind.

I'll admit that sailing on a mission West to the Indies or whatnot and then having to slowly tack back East was a bit annoying sometimes, but it was also a part of the strategy, and tacking back and forth to get every ounce of wind that blew by was kinda neat. I'll miss that a bit.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Maybe the wind can be "fixed" with a mod. Are Sid M games usually mod friendly?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I HATED the wind. It almost wrecked the game for me. Besides, I hardly think the average gamer either a) knows how to tack against the wind and b) has the patience to deal with it.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I don't know if I'll miss the wind in the normal move around mode. I do think I'd prefer it some how be factored into combat, though.
WPD

Post by WPD »

Eel Snave wrote:I HATED the wind. It almost wrecked the game for me. Besides, I hardly think the average gamer either a) knows how to tack against the wind and b) has the patience to deal with it.
If they get my hot sailing instructor from when I was in 8th grade to be in the game as the tacking instructor, I'll never complain.

She was hot.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I haven't been following the previews, but I'm expecting great things just because it's Sid.

And yeah, it'll be a Day One purchase for me. I'm actually more enthused about this than I am about Half-Life 2.

- Ash
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I actually pre-ordered this game and can't wait for it. Last game I pre-ordered was MOO3 and well needless to say I got burned and swore never to pre-order again. But this is Sid and I've never been dissapointed in his games. Plus, Pirates was my 2nd favorite game of all time also (XCOM #1) so just don't think I can go wrong here.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Mithridates wrote:Yeah, it should be in stores on Tuesday the 23rd. I'm planning on a healthy dose of Pirates! and World of Warcraft over the long holiday weekend!!
Great, thanks for the info (and to Grievous Angel as well).

I guess I'll be stopping by at the mall early next week. My wife is supposed to be working on her PhD thesis, too...

:D
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Ummagumma wrote:I'm curious, TQ, what's your first best game you ever played?
Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri.
Oh, and something has me kinda niggled a bit about the Gamespy preview now that I've read it over again, where they say that there's no "tacking" against the winds anymore like in the original, that the ship now steers like a car, wind or no wind.
That actually bothers me. I hated tacking into the wind on map, but in combat it's an element of strategery. The wind is your friend when you're using a sloop to hunt Royal Navy frigates.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Jeesh, when it rains it pours. This fall is turning out to be pretty insane for gaming, from RTW on up.
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Tareeq wrote: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri.
Good choice.
That actually bothers me. I hated tacking into the wind on map, but in combat it's an element of strategery. The wind is your friend when you're using a sloop to hunt Royal Navy frigates.
Well, as stated above there still might be a wind impact during the ship combat phase. Maybe taking it out of the world view is gonna be a design decision?
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I'm all for taking it out of the worldview but it does add a lot to combat. At least it did in 1987.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Its.....Goooooollllldddd!!!!
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Hmm, I played the original to death and back again. Even after 15 odd years, I doubt I'd get too much out of a "identical to old version with better graphics" game.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Since I never played the original, I'm sure I won't be bothered if this rendition just turns out to be more of the same.

However, I really doubt that the game will play identical to its previous incarnation. Certainly 15 years has been enough time for Sid to ruminate on some new concepts and improvements to his original design.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Hmm, I played the original to death and back again. Even after 15 odd years, I doubt I'd get too much out of a "identical to old version with better graphics" game.
I know that I've had tons of trouble getting the older versions to work, so the better graphics will really be a good incentive to play.
And I'm sure there will be a few more options added. I'm sure.
-AttAdude
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Where can one preorder the dvd version? That's tempting. Then again, all my time is going to CoH still.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Misguided wrote:Where can one preorder the dvd version? That's tempting. Then again, all my time is going to CoH still.
Gamestop, EBGames, but not GoGamer as far as I know.
-AttAdude
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

Gogamer has it. You just have to do a search for the Limited Edition.
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

IGN is blocked from where I work! BASTARDS!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

So a 9.2 from IGN means about what, a 7.8 from Gamespot?
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

The dancing game takes place in a variety of ornate ballrooms and you'll have to watch your dancing partner for cues. Each cue corresponds to a key on the number pad. Hit the key in time with the music and you'll perform a flourish and increase the lady's affection for you.
Dance Dance Pirates! Cool... :?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

bluefugue wrote:So a 9.2 from IGN means about what, a 7.8 from Gamespot?
I think Gamespot will give it a good score, 5.9.
-AttAdude
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

Ummagumma wrote:
Tareeq wrote: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri.
Good choice.
Well, as stated above there still might be a wind impact during the ship combat phase. Maybe taking it out of the world view is gonna be a design decision?
I was reading up on this on various Pirate forums. Wind is in both combat and the world overview. The difficulty level you select determines how much the wind affects your ship among other things.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I was reading up on this on various Pirate forums. Wind is in both combat and the world overview. The difficulty level you select determines how much the wind affects your ship among other things.
Excellent news.

Also, was this supposed to be in stores today, or was it just shipping preorders today?
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Usually Monday is shipping and Tuesday is in stores. Or Tuesday is shipping and Wednesday is in stores.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

I think today was just the shipping day. Should be in stores tomorrow.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I want the game. I want it now.
Where is the game? :cry: