Interesting Article on HL2 Development

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Bertran

Interesting Article on HL2 Development

Post by Bertran »

Since the game is apparently being sold at Best Buy, I figured that this forum was now appropriate for discussions about the game.

Anyhow, Gamespot just posted a long, interesting article about the development of Half Life 2, focusing on many of the bumps along the road. Have a look:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/611288 ... slot_click
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Great article, a must-read IMO.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Great read, thanks for posting. I always take release dates with a major grain of salt and didn't care much that HL2 slipped, but I still wonder why Valve kept up the charade of the 9/30/03 release date as long as they did, even after they knew it was impossible.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Geoff Keighley's articles have always been my favorites regarding this industry. Fascinating reading. Even when he was writing about games I thought I had no interest in, they were still riveting. The games industry's most substantive reporter.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

$40 million?!?

Shit, I remember when PC Gamer did an April fool's joke about the imminent release of Wing Commander 4, saying outrageous things like it had a $12 million budget because they were actually sending a rocket into orbit so they'd have better physics in the game or something. The details are hazy (I'd look it up if I felt like digging through my piles of magazines from back then), but I think The $12 million figure was part of the joke since NO game had anywheres near that kind of budget back then. I think even a million dollar budget was very rare in those days.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

Concerning the article's author, isn't he on "Electronic Playground" on G4? If I'm thinking of the same guy, isn't his tagline "and introducing..." in the opening credits? I always thought that was kind of hokey, but I'd definitely be interested in checking out some of his other articles if they're as good as you say. Do you know where any of them could be found?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Geoff's site is GameSlice.
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

Great, thanks! That site should keep me occupied at work for a while. :D