Revolution Controller Revealed - FOR REAL!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kaigen

Revolution Controller Revealed - FOR REAL!

Post by Kaigen »

It's a TV remote!

I have to give Nintendo kudos for going in a direction I'm sure no one expected. It'll be interesting to actually try it.
End of line.
Kagath

Post by Kagath »

But is it really something that kids will really want to play with other than to beat thier siblings? I can't really see that they will be able to use it effectively.
Playing: BF3 360 | Chrono Trigger DS | Assassin's Creed 360 | - WINGS!
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Strom

Post by Strom »

Hate it
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I'm not sure what I think of this. It's got an optional joybuzzer. Image
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Bob

Post by Bob »

A glossy section of the top of the controller houses a transmitter--much like any remote would have--that was used extensively in the demos we saw. The signal from the unit is picked up by sensors you'll place near your television, which will then reflect your actions on the screen. Based on the responsiveness of the demos that we tried, this feature has the potential to turn the entire base controller unit into a new kind of pointing device. It also has great potential applications for sports games, such as laser-pointer-style play calling.
That's cool.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

While it sure looks lame, the demo descriptions make it sound intriguing. At the very least, Nintendo is trying to innovate.
knob

Post by knob »

It looks neat, but I wonder how easy it'll be to use. You have to use two hands to hit the A and B buttons, and it's so skinny that I can't see that being comfortable.

Edit: Apparently, you can tilt it sideways and use it like an NES controller. Sounds neat.

Edit 2: I read you can use Gamecube controllers with it if you don't like the Revolution's controllers.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

The first thing I thought of, when I saw this controller, was where do you put the two D batteries.

I also don't see them trying to innovate a thing. They just took a normal controller and split it in two, all praise Nintendo.
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Right, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Just like a real one, exactly.
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Andrew Wonser wrote:I also don't see them trying to innovate a thing. They just took a normal controller and split it in two, all praise Nintendo.
Did you not read the articles that go along with these pictures? Advanced motion tracking is the main aspect of this controller.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Both exciting and a little scary.
I'm special!
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Wow, I think it looks destined to fail...but at least Nintendo has balls and are trying to inovate.

Honestly though, I think the general public is going to take one look at that thing and laugh.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Got this from over at Gaming Age, where the Nintendo Fanboys are NOT happy about the controller...and you know you have problems when the Nintendo fanboys don't even like it.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hetz wrote:Wow, I think it looks destined to fail...but at least Nintendo has balls and are trying to inovate.

Honestly though, I think the general public is going to take one look at that thing and laugh.
On looks alone, I think you're right. Nintendo has to get people to see the motion tracking aspect clearly. The thing isn't a TV remote, it's a control wand.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Xoanon

Post by Xoanon »

There is a poor quality teaser trailer for the new controller on this site: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html
qp

Post by qp »

Well I'm sure the pure fan boys will be creaming themselves and running out in the streets trying to convince everyone how awesome this new cutting edge design is, but might I be the first to say:

"The emperor has no clothes"
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

This sucks ass.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Not necesarily. I don't think we're the target audiance. My wife loves the DS because of it's easer of use, so this could be aimed at her. It is a bit of a let down. Reminds me of Ginger.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I like when companies try to do things differently. I will give this a chance. I play wario twisted on the GBA and the tilt stuff works great. Fun. If you don't like the new controller, just use the normal wavebird ones. No big deal. At least nintendo is trying something original.

Why slam it when you haven't tried it yet?
warning

Post by warning »

Torfish wrote:I like when companies try to do things differently. I will give this a chance. I play wario twisted on the GBA and the tilt stuff works great. Fun. If you don't like the new controller, just use the normal wavebird ones. No big deal. At least nintendo is trying something original.

Because it's Nintendo. Microsoft could release the exact same thing (not that they would) and people would wet themselves with anticipation and rattle on all day long about what a bold new step it is.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

warning wrote:
Torfish wrote:I like when companies try to do things differently. I will give this a chance. I play wario twisted on the GBA and the tilt stuff works great. Fun. If you don't like the new controller, just use the normal wavebird ones. No big deal. At least nintendo is trying something original.

Because it's Nintendo. Microsoft could release the exact same thing (not that they would) and people would wet themselves with anticipation and rattle on all day long about what a bold new step it is.
Actually, people would hate it if MS released it, too. People on the Internet hate everything. Now me personally, I love the idea. I of course would have to see how it feels in teh hands, but based on what I read, I think Nintendo has yet again come up with something cool, just like they did the DS. People ragged on the DS and now they own one.

My only concern is that this will make getting third-party multi-system ports onto the Revolution and therefore Nintendo will be doomed to be 3rd again, just like with the Gamecube. However, Nintendo's strength is first party titles and third-party exclusives and I think they will excel again with this. So, count me as an Internet person who thinks it is probably going to be great.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

warning wrote:

Uhh...no.

If Mircosoft released something like this I would think they had lost their minds and would say what a horrible move it is.
msurby

Post by msurby »

Looks like shit, but sounds awesome. The whole 'looks like shit' thing could really hurt them though.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

Xoanon wrote:There is a poor quality teaser trailer for the new controller on this site: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html
That certainly helped me understand it better. Looks interesting...
kathode

Post by kathode »

Kind of cool technology. From the looks of the video you can tell they're trying to hit up the casual game market pretty hard - lots of old people, groups of girls, etc. Lots of shots of weird rhythm games and people obviously playing some sort of Warioware and Mario Party style games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that stuff like that doesn't get me in particular excited at all. I'm sure they'll be successful and make a ton of money that way, but I'm going to have to wait for some sort of killer app. Good old wacky Nintendo.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Not sure this will be all that easy to use, not if you now have to coordinate body movements while pressing buttons and moving analog sticks. While innovation is great, the video of it in action makes me hate it. If I want to flail my arms like a mad man and get exercise while playing games then I will fire up DDR.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

LOL! What a freaking joke.

The cube controller sucked bad enough, now this...
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Here's the sequence of thoughts I had this morning while reading http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782 :

Is that a remote?
WTF?
One handed? Too bad it's Nintendo...
No, really, WTF?
OK. That explains the gyroscope patent rumors.
OK, I have been wanting a cool lightsaber fighting game?
Uh... OK
Huh, that might not actually be dumb.
OK. Maybe I'll buy one of these if they're cheap.
Wait - what am I doing? Don't believe the hype!
Boy, people are going to hate this.
Wait - I've hated every non-SNES Nintendo controller I've ever used.
Bet this will be an interesting thread at OO.
Maybe I'll buy one for when I have people over - you can drink and play at the same time.
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

Looks: WHat the hell.
Concept: Pretty damn cool.

Rating: EH.

Now do something about the craziness of the look, and you got me. Maybe its something that appeals to a certain niche crowd, but when you release a console, I dont think you want to appeal to a niche.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

You know... if you turn that sideways it's an oversized, wireless NES controller. :P

s
gellar

Post by gellar »

msurby wrote:Looks like shit, but sounds awesome. The whole 'looks like shit' thing could really hurt them though.
Pretty much. I'd like to say I won't buy this product, but I'm sure Nintendo will release 1 or 2 must haves that make me purchase the fuckin' thing. Just like the Gamecube, really.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Hetz wrote:
warning wrote:

Uhh...no.

If Mircosoft released something like this I would think they had lost their minds and would say what a horrible move it is.
If Apple released something like this, OTOH, people would soil themselves. At least the mac addicts would.

Microsoft would get mocked to high heaven and back. No question.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ChrisGwinn wrote:Wait - I've hated every non-SNES Nintendo controller I've ever used.
So it isn't just me either? I had to endure a lot of mocking from all of my friends who were genisis owners. But I thought the SNES controller was superior ro the Genisis. And they mocked the shoulder buttons, only everyone owned a genesis controller with shoulder buttons in the end.

My SNES, and it's controllers, were the most durable console/console controllers I've ever had. Sigh.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Peacedog wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:Wait - I've hated every non-SNES Nintendo controller I've ever used.
So it isn't just me either? I had to endure a lot of mocking from all of my friends who were genisis owners. But I thought the SNES controller was superior ro the Genisis. And they mocked the shoulder buttons, only everyone owned a genesis controller with shoulder buttons in the end.

My SNES, and it's controllers, were the most durable console/console controllers I've ever had. Sigh.
I think it is just you. I liked the Genesis controller better, I just failed to hate the SNES one. The NES/Nintendo 64/Gamecube ones confused and befuddled me. Although I expect the problems with the NES controllers were more due to my complete lack of hand/eye co-ordination at the time.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

My friend's genesis controllers all seemed to break down at rates similar tothe NES, but not myu SNES controllers. Ovber time, they received as much abuse as those genesis controllers in their spans. And kept on ticking. Maybe I just got lucky.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

To start this out I will admit that I am a Nintendo fanboy. I liked the N64 better than the PS, I like the Gamecube better than the PS2 and Xbox, I have every gameboy design ever released.

I can honestly say that this is the worst looking controller I have ever seen from a first party. The thing is a gimmick that will not work with 99.9% of the games that are being made today.

Anyone remember the Nintendo power Glove? It promised game control by moving your arm around, look how well that went. Can you say FLOP?

I really can't see how it will be enjoyable to control an entire game with your right hand in this day and age.

Nintendo better know what they are doing with this or they are in serious trouble.
FTE
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Uh-oh Nintnedo....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916/ap_ ... _game_show

Check out the name of the story.
Nintendo produces new remote control
That is the lead headline on the AP article.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you say Virtual Boy Part Deux?
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

Why is it everything Nintendo does dooms them? DS? OMG DOOM! Yeah and look how well that's selling.

I have my reservation about this, but the first sword fighting game that comes out that allows you to completely control the movement of the sword with no prescripted button moves will = sold. Yeah it's been done on the pc, but not with a 3 dimensional moving controller.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Here's a good pic that shows it form all angles. Note the big B button is on the underside of the control. So you can turn it sideways and have a fairly typical control or you can really use it one-handed, your thumb on top hitting the big A and you're finger underneath hitting the big B.

I'm not sure that I'd enjoy using it that way. I do like the pic I posted above - having a separate controller for the left hand. Instead of having one big piece that anchors your hands in the middle the separate pieces would be more ergonomic.

And yes, the Apple influence is clear. It looks, gorgeous, imo. Anyway -
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Ramoz wrote:Why is it everything Nintendo does dooms them? DS? OMG DOOM! Yeah and look how well that's selling.

I have my reservation about this, but the first sword fighting game that comes out that allows you to completely control the movement of the sword with no prescripted button moves will = sold. Yeah it's been done on the pc, but not with a 3 dimensional moving controller.
Until the first sword fighting game comes out and you realise you will never finish the game because you are not coordinated enough to actually make accurate sword strike motions and you beg for prescripted sword attacks assigned to a button.
shaggydoug

Post by shaggydoug »

Hmmmm......needs to be a TiVo Peanut if you ask me.

- shaggy