Blades of Avernum

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

freelunch

Blades of Avernum

Post by freelunch »

I've fooled a little with Spiderweb's Avernum games but never played them seriously, now I'm considering picking up Blades of Avenum largely for the editor.

the only RPG creating I've ever done has been for pen and paper systems and I have absolutley no coding experience or aptitude - if anyone here has used the Blades of Avernum editor I'd appreciate your thoughts on how idiot-friendly it is. ideally I'd like to be able to create a town and a basic dungeon in a couple of hours - if that's not going to be possible I'll never have enough time to make something bigger.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

the only RPG creating I've ever done has been for pen and paper systems and I have absolutley no coding experience or aptitude - if anyone here has used the Blades of Avernum editor I'd appreciate your thoughts on how idiot-friendly it is. ideally I'd like to be able to create a town and a basic dungeon in a couple of hours - if that's not going to be possible I'll never have enough time to make something bigger.
Doing the layouts is fairly easy. You could create a decent sized town and dungeon in that time.

However, to give things "life" will take longer. Monster & treasure placement is a snap. giving your towns people, or putting in special encounters, takes effort and does require using AvernumScript, the custom scripting language Vogel created. AvernumScript isn't difficult to comprehend, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do what you want with BoA.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I'm scared of "scripting" - maybe it isn't for me.
DireAussie

Post by DireAussie »

From my very brief look at scripting, it looks as though if you know how to program in C then it will be very straightforward. So it probably isnt for you :D
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Yeah, it's very much C based, syntactically speaking. There isn't any thing like NN's "conversation editor" (though I don't mind saying I wasn't crazy about the interface there) - everything must be done in script, and hand coded.

Andy, you could still populate a dungeon with treasure, monsters, etc. I believe there is a generic town you can load up, but AFAIK you can't even do any shoping without some basic scripting. So you'd have nothing to do with all of your hard earned loot.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Try Morrowind's construction set. You don't need scripting for that (although it's there if you want it.)

Here's a site with whole collection of MW tutorials. Scroll down until you get to the "Editor" section and start with Dragonsong's "My First Room" guide. It's got a brief section on skinning and scripting at the end but you can just skim that part.

Regarding NPC's and quests and dialog, try Scott Fisher's tuts in the "NPC" section.

For a better guide to skinning, you'll want Srikandi's guideand also Dave Humphrey's NIF texture tool. (There's a link in the guide.) Also at Sri's there's an Index to every item in the construction set. It will save you mucho time.

It will probably take a few days to get comfortable with all that but once you are it's very simple.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I spent several hours of slack-jawed stupor in front of the Morrowind editor when it was first released and couldn't make any sense of it. then my PC died so I grabbed the GOTY X-BOX version and gave away my PC Tribunal. I could probably get it running now though...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It will probably take a few days to get comfortable with all that but once you are it's very simple.
Yes, but it has that one unfortunate issue, namely that it makes things for morrowind. ;)
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I like Morrowind, though I'd prefer to build for a game with turn-based combat and a party of PCs.
Gizah

Post by Gizah »

How cool would a Temple of Elemental Evil game editor have been?

Damn.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Will they be making another game with the TOEE engine?
Gizah

Post by Gizah »

I hope so, but I haven't heard any buzz on that.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Didn't Arcanum have an editor? I seem to recall it was rather painful ...
Yes, but it has that one unfortunate issue, namely that it makes things for morrowind. :wink:

Oh hush your mouth - it's a whole other game these days, you know. You haven't lived until a naked, anatomically correct, orc comes tearing at you.

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Didn't Arcanum have an editor? I seem to recall it was rather painful ...
I don't recall, though the game did get modded. Maybe they released certain tools.
Oh hush your mouth - it's a whole other game these days, you know. You haven't lived until a naked, anatomically correct, orc comes tearing at you.
Who I can then slice and dice with that crappy combat system. ;)

And honestly, what makes an orc anatomically correct? Who makes that decision? I reject any such mod on the grounds that it implies orcs that are not like its own orcs are inferior. Those orcs are just as good as the mod's Uber-Orcs.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I was being facetious but ... *cough* anatomically correct orcs and their friends. NSFW, mostly because you wouldn't want to have to try and explain it.

The Better Bodies team decided that when they were going to redo things, they were going to do it right and do it like adults.

You didn't ask, but Orcs in TES are actually elves. They were followers of Trinimac, a mythic champion of the first race of elves who slew Lorkhan, the trickster spirit who convinced the immortal priaml spirits to create the mortal world, thus severing themselves from their divine and immortal connection. Trinimac ripped out Lorkhan's heart and the last games have revolved around finding the heart, an artifact of world shattering power. (The elves want to end the world although they don't discuss this much and hopefully return to their divine path. Theoretically, they'd say.) Anyway, the original elves were arguing over how they should live in the new mortal world and a movment had started to follow the Prophet Veloth who thought the elves were becoming weepy and mopey. Trinimac and the other elves (the Aldmeri) opposed Veloth's teachings. (Veloth was prompted by the daedra lords.) The Daedra Prince Boethiah ate Trinimac, and while he was being digested, his followers were changed into the shape they have now. Boethiah eventually ..., er, relieved himself, of Trinimac and the, er, remains became the Daedra god Malacath (god of the scorned and oppressed.) Trinimac's followers who had been twisted by his suffering became known as the Orsimer and still rever Malacath. All of this understandably took the heart out of the Aldmeri opposition and Veloth and his followers hoofed it. They became the Chimer until they were cursed by Azura and changed into the Dunmer, were the events in MW pick up the tale.

Look for the Heart of Lorkhan to feature in Oblivion, set in part int he Daedra realms. I love this series. :)

So that's what an anatomically correct TES Orc is all about. Didn't Tolkien make up the word?

Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Peacedog wrote:And honestly, what makes an orc anatomically correct? Who makes that decision?
Internet "subject matter experts."