(WoW) Are Druids any fun to play?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kadoth Nodens

(WoW) Are Druids any fun to play?

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Any of the beta crew have an opinion on druids?

I've been playing an Orc Warrior in the open beta, but have been thinking about a Tauren Druid for retail.

I'm mostly looking for a class that's fun to play. On paper, the whole shape shifting/back up healer thing sounds groovy, but if anyone has any practical experience or impressions, I'd love to hear 'em.

I don't plan on power-leveling, so if they're not that great near the endgame (which seems to be the consensus on the official WoW forums), I'm not too worried.

Thanks.
Koz

Post by Koz »

OMIGAWDZ druidz only have 43.567897 DPS and orc warror has 43.58909 DPS... u r so dumb, warrors r teh haxxors.

Sorry, been reading too much of the WoW forums.

I haven't played one but I know I've been jealous when they speed by me in wolf form. They definitely look fun to play though I'm not sure how effective they are.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Haven't played a druid at all, but as far as fun classes to play go I've had the most fun with rogues. You can do enough damage that you can fight your way through groups/dungeons with little downtime (thanks to first aid) or can stealth your way through things to assassinate the named mob you need and then vanish to stealth back out. Questing (and PvP :)) with multiple rogues can be a ton of fun as well for similar reasons. It's just so refreshing to have a variety of ways to approach most situations and also have a needed and distinct role in group situations. Hardly spend much time on my 60 warrior since I started my rogue.

Mages were also fun, but have been very underpowered in comparison to everyone else for some time. While they're new, hunters can be cool too even though they tend to be pretty weak when compared to other classes until they get to level 50+.

If you want a class that can do damage and heal (and shape shift) I'd look at being a shaman first. As a high level player, I can tell you that groups will almost always choose a Shaman over a Druid for a backup healer on instance runs. They're also probably one of the best balanced classes in the game, or one of the only balanced classes depending on how you look at it.

Edit: On end-game content... Blizzard has stated that they're putting most of the content focus on end game scenarios, meaning that while all the questing and exploring is fun they have a lot more in mind. That's why you can level so quickly. Even without "powerleveling" I've gotten a rogue to level 40 in a couple weeks and could have him to 60 in two or three more if beta weren't ending. You can get to 60 in a week or two if you powerlevel. So while end game content may not seem like much, keep in mind that it's all that you'll have to do before too long, aside from starting a new character :).
Kael

Post by Kael »

As a solo only player I love my rogue. Sneaking into a fort, killing the main guy my quest sent me for and then sneaking back out is awesome. I slip right by parties battleing it out at the front gate trying to get to the main guy I have already killed.
Jow

Post by Jow »

60 in a week or two? I don't even wanna imagine how much time would have to be invested to accomplish that.
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

I just started a Tauren druid yesterday and I've been having a little fun with him. I'm just a hair away from hitting level 10, and I think that's where you get the transformation ability, so I'll let you know how it goes once I get that. So far I've been soloing and doing pretty well with his combination of spells, melee and buffs/healing stuff.

But really, you still have time to try it out, so why not spend a day or two on a new character type and see if you like it? It's free, it's fun, and there's a lot more stuff to see.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Jow wrote:60 in a week or two? I don't even wanna imagine how much time would have to be invested to accomplish that.
I have a friend that got a character to 32 in three days without the help of higher level players or having previous experience with WoW. He didn't sleep much.
none

Post by none »

i've got a night elf druid up to level 13, in darkshores, and have had a lot of fun. but, to be honest, i've not really spent much time in my animal form, attained at level 10. i've only played this character with my girlfriend and her roommate and it just worked out that i'm the only healer in this group. so, it's been more practical for me to play in my human form. but i've had a good time healing and casting offensive and entaglement spells. plus, i just picked up a pretty good staff and am now able to deal out some decent melee damage as well.

the time i have spent in animal form (bear) has been interesting. there are a variety of skills to train in to spice things up rather than just, you know, growling and mauling stuff but i haven't really explored any of this yet.

give it a shot!
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Thanks everyone!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Koz wrote: I haven't played one but I know I've been jealous when they speed by me in wolf form. They definitely look fun to play though I'm not sure how effective they are.
Actually, that would be a shaman. Druids have a cat-like travel form.

I played a druid up to about lvl 36, and it was OK, but not exceptional. Since then they've both improved and nerfed things I liked about them, so I'd say they're probably still meh, but I don't know for certain.

Sith
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

I spent some time in closed beta playing one when they first came out and had fun with it up until about 15, when I switched over to try out Warriors. My wife is playing a druid now (we're up to 11), and she seems to enjoy it. I don't know if it's won her over like the Warlock did, but we'll see...
Rabid moth

Post by Rabid moth »

As level 22 druid who has spoekn to a lot of higher level druids:

Just play a shaman, they are basically just better, and by level 30 (when you really need to start grouping) you will be utterly gimped.

Just my observations.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Rabid moth wrote:
Just play a shaman, they are basically just better, and by level 30 (when you really need to start grouping) you will be utterly gimped.

Just my observations.
You never "really need to start grouping" in WoW. Well at least that is my experience at 52nd level and I still have lots of quests that I can do solo fairly easily and I am one of the weaker soloing classes now (warrior).

Sure if you want to get those good elite quest rewards early on, you definately want to group up and hit those instances while they are orange/yellow, but those rewards are by no means needed to continue soloing well.
Doctor Hillbilly

Post by Doctor Hillbilly »

Druids are a blast, but you'll be counting on Blizzard to fix the major problems that exist if you want to be mighty and powerful at the higher (say, 40/45+ levels.)

The WOW forums look like they're nuked for good, but there was significant discussion of the needs druids have at higher levels to remain viable.

Whether that matters kinda depends on your playstyle. Maybe you're not a powerleveler, and so by the time you hit the high levels Druids will be all shiny and fixed. Maybe you want to solo and explore, or just love the concept of the druid as implemented. All reasonable goals that would make the druid a fun class to play. I certainly enjoyed mine (although I only got to 16 before I fell in love with hunting.) But if you're looking ahead at all, keep the fall-off in power and enjoyment that the high level druids have reported throughout the beta.

edit: for the typo.