Halflife 2 HAS been Cracked! Hahaha! Oh, and CS:S was TOO!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

woober

Halflife 2 HAS been Cracked! Hahaha! Oh, and CS:S was TOO!

Post by woober »

Steam has always annoyed me to no end, but I gave in and preordered Bronze to play CS:S about a month ago. Steam has since prevented me from playing the original Halflife and any of its mods, giving an obscure error that nobody has a solution for in the Steam forums. Now Steam authentication servers have gone down in Europe, and people can't play the game they hold in their hands AFTER the release date.

Whenever people start bitching about Steam, the one common reply seems to be that it puts the money in the developer's hands, where it should be, and it prevents piracy through its thoroughly lame authentication crap.

(edit) Well Halflife 2 apparently has not been cracked yet, though I doubt it will be long...considering CS:Source HAS been cracked, and is playable ONLINE...where you supposedly would be unable to escape steam. So my rant stands. (edit) Oh, and CS:S is already full of cheaters, due to the open availability of hacks and absolutely no cheat protection.

In closing, I would like to say two words:
Fuck steam.

(edit) Eco-logic, you better be right this time. The thread title no longer allows me to be incorrect.
knob

Post by knob »

That's fine.

My time with Steam has been great thus far. Everything has worke flawlessly and because of it, I'm now running on 2 hours of slep from me staying up all night to play HL2.

Valve is putting in cheat protection for CS:S, it just hasn't gotten there yet.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd probably do it again. it was quite painless for me. plus, it was actually pretty cool to see it unlock at 2am and then start playing 15 minutes later.

so far a good experience.
Covfefe!
CSL

Post by CSL »

Wow that was quick
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Pwnage. Of Steam, that is. And all the poor folks who still can't play their legit copies.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

I agree with you Hep Cat. Steam was completely painless and worked perfectly for me. I was also up at 2 activating it. Bummer about it getting cracked allready though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Greg Wak wrote:I agree with you Hep Cat. Steam was completely painless and worked perfectly for me. I was also up at 2 activating it. Bummer about it getting cracked allready though.
well, don't count them out yet. a lot times crackers SAY they successfully cracked something, only to see the release crap out during the game or not work for others.

having spent 60 bucks of my hard earned money on this, i honestly hope that it works for the pirates...for about 20 to 30 minutes. then when they're hooked, they drop to desktop or get corrupted gameplay. they then have had a taste and will have to either buy it, wait for a better crack, or simply do without.
Covfefe!
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

hepcat wrote:
Greg Wak wrote:I agree with you Hep Cat. Steam was completely painless and worked perfectly for me. I was also up at 2 activating it. Bummer about it getting cracked allready though.
well, don't count them out yet. a lot times crackers SAY they successfully cracked something, only to see the release crap out during the game or not work for others.

having spent 60 bucks of my hard earned money on this, i honestly hope that it works for the pirates...for about 20 to 30 minutes. then when they're hooked, they drop to desktop or get corrupted gameplay. they then have had a taste and will have to either buy it, wait for a better crack, or simply do without.
Heh. Are you psychic? :wink: The cracked release that came out earlier has been "nuked", as it apparently crashes mid game.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

The smart thing for Valve to done done is release the game with a crippling bug. And then when the cracks rolled out, issue a steam patch fixing it.
I <3 :ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ranulf wrote:
hepcat wrote:

Heh. Are you psychic? :wink: The cracked release that came out earlier has been "nuked", as it apparently crashes mid game.
just wishful thinking...that for once appears to have worked!
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Crowley wrote:The smart thing for Valve to done done is release the game with a crippling bug. And then when the cracks rolled out, issue a steam patch fixing it.
The problem remains - as long as it is moved onto the player's PC at some point, it can be copied. Pirates can always just trash the CD and bundle up their patched, installed version for their mateys. The only way to make something entirely uncrackable is to ensure that players never get their hands on it, the way MMORPGs do, or to make it check online for authentication in such a way that the check can't be 'turned off'.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

2 warez versions appeared so far. One was a repacked Call of duty the other a repacked Medal of Honor.

Personally i can`t see this being cracked super quick like Bloodlines.

As to the servers and steam not coping, no surprise there really. A few sites are just not coping with the demands needed.

I still have to stay this is the best £30 i have spent in a long long time. One great game.

Iain
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

Crowley wrote:The smart thing for Valve to done done is release the game with a crippling bug.
They did - it is called Steam. It has crippeled my abilty to play.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
Maxarian

Post by Maxarian »

My wife just yelled up to me "Honey are you having fun with that game? Is it as good as you thought?"

I said "I can't play it because I can't register it online!"

She said "that doesn't make any sense??!?!"

How right she is. :cry:
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

No problems whatsoever with Steam here.

You know, it seems this gamer's forum is full of crotchety old men. Everything is "The Good Old Days" and new ideas are credited as being "worthless", "waste of time", etc etc.

Steam is a brave foray into electrical distribution. Name ONE publisher you like (EA? VIVENDI? JOWOOD??). This is Valve's powerful move to sidestep them. This is an industry leader making a bold move.

Problems? Sure, a few. But I'd bet that the vast majority of users are like me, and glide through Steam like its butter (okay, bad analogy).

Congrats, Valve...on releasing a GREAT game, with a brand new distribution model that will make games CHEAPER for us (in the long run) and more PROFITABLE for you.

DocDarm
New York City
warning

Post by warning »

DocDarm wrote:No problems whatsoever with Steam here.

You know, it seems this gamer's forum is full of crotchety old men. Everything is "The Good Old Days" and new ideas are credited as being "worthless", "waste of time", etc etc.

Steam is a brave foray into electrical distribution. Name ONE publisher you like (EA? VIVENDI? JOWOOD??). This is Valve's powerful move to sidestep them. This is an industry leader making a bold move.

Problems? Sure, a few. But I'd bet that the vast majority of users are like me, and glide through Steam like its butter (okay, bad analogy).

Congrats, Valve...on releasing a GREAT game, with a brand new distribution model that will make games CHEAPER for us (in the long run) and more PROFITABLE for you.

DocDarm
New York City
I'm good with everything in your post until the CHEAPER part. I'm not sure prices will lower because of Steam.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DocDarm wrote:

Seriously. I jsut got an e-mail from good friend about Steam. He's had HL2 on his computer since last Friday, but decides *today* he wants it.

He e-mailed me something about his "fradulent checking acccounts" making me think he tried paying for it like a Mac withdrawl. Is that even possible?

Remember when we had to type: Load "*",8,1 as well as AT A 555-5555

Oh! The humanity!

This too shall pass.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

DocDarm
New York City
Bioware is trying this too. Those premium modules for NWN is just Bioware testing the waters of electronic distribution. If all goes well, I suspect they'll be trying this more too
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

warning wrote:
I'm good with everything in your post until the CHEAPER part. I'm not sure prices will lower because of Steam.
Cutting out the middle-man will make this cheaper. Or at least, prices may not move upward as quickly because of it.

DocDarm
New York City
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

DocDarm wrote: Cutting out the middle-man will make this cheaper. Or at least, prices may not move upward as quickly because of it.

DocDarm
New York City

I am willing to bet you it won't. Already HL2 was $49.99 on-line which is more than most games. So our only example proves it doesn't, unless you want to say that HL2 was unique in some way and other on-line released games will be cheaper.

Actually that isn't even true - look at Shrapnel games. Their games are not cheaper, and they publish themselves....

Nothing about this market leads to your conclusion except what we are told by the same people who are raising the prices.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

HL2 was co-published by Vivendi. I'd more than bet that there was a clause preventing them from undercutting Vivendi's pricing.

Even if prices don't go down, at least the money will go somewhere else. Perhaps we'll see less international corporations pocketing the cash while the developers who devoted all the sweat go under so fast that you can't keep track of them anymore.

Hell, prices go down? I have six year old PC magazines with ads for Half-Life - $49.99. Six years later - everything else costs fifteen percent more, but Half-Life 2 costs, guess what, $49.99. HL2 cost how many millions more to make than HL1? The only real question is why prices haven't gone up yet. Fifty bucks for a new game is a discount. That price is locked in so tight that the companies that make them have their costs go up, but don't make a single penny more because prices aren't going up. If Steam can keep prices right where they are at without bankrupting the company, then that is enough of a benefit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

farley2k wrote: Already HL2 was $49.99 on-line which is more than most games. So our only example proves it doesn't, unless you want to say that HL2 was unique in some way and other on-line released games will be cheaper.
I wouldn't be surprised if VU forced Valve to offer the game via steam at the same price as retail B&M.

We just have to wait and see what happens next - once they're free.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Austin

Post by Austin »

I don't have it and probably won't bother until it comes way down in price or qp tires of it... which would be never. I have a pet peeve though and I hope it doesn't show up here.

It's when someone has a problem (with Steam or whatever) and can't get the game to run and people chime in with, "no problems here! It's great!"

I'm happy that it's working for you but for the person who just spent $50.00+ of their hard earned money and it doesn't work, it isn't great... it sucks hard. Very hard.

Not to say that it isn't valuable input to know that it works for some people but often times it is presented as, 'it works for me so you must be doing something wrong' or, 'well too bad so sad you're SOL, but because it works for me it's the greatest idea ever!' I guess I am flashing back to the develper boards for Sacred and their crappy-ass copy protection.
evt

Post by evt »

well i have to say that steam truly sucks big time.....i have been sitting here for he past hour and a half trying to install this piece of crap....the server is down right now to register so it says it will temporarily unlock my game files and it has been doing that so slowly that it's taken around 45 minutes so far and is only half way done....i love steam, thanks for wasting my evening with this frustrating experience
geezer

Post by geezer »

Ranulf wrote:
hepcat wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

hehe.

oh.. and what's more:

HAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too bad it couldn't nuke some hard drives while it was at it, but I guess that's too much to hope for.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Austin wrote:I don't have it and probably won't bother until it comes way down in price or qp tires of it... which would be never. I have a pet peeve though and I hope it doesn't show up here.

It's when someone has a problem (with Steam or whatever) and can't get the game to run and people chime in with, "no problems here! It's great!"

I'm happy that it's working for you but for the person who just spent $50.00+ of their hard earned money and it doesn't work, it isn't great... it sucks hard. Very hard.

Not to say that it isn't valuable input to know that it works for some people but often times it is presented as, 'it works for me so you must be doing something wrong' or, 'well too bad so sad you're SOL, but because it works for me it's the greatest idea ever!' I guess I am flashing back to the develper boards for Sacred and their crappy-ass copy protection.
Yeah I have that same pet peeve and to be honest I'm both surprised and not surprised by the problems. You're going to have issues with so many people trying to log on, download, authenticate etc. with pretty much any "new" system but the fact that valve was apparently not prepared to handle just the authentication load from retail/pre loads is pretty sad. Its not like this is a mmorpg game with constant server/client interaction here either.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

DocDarm
New York City
It's a bold move, but I'm not sure the future is so rosy if every developer comes out with a Steam. Hopefully there can be some standardization.

Ale
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Getting Vampire: Bloodlines first. Screw Steam. Invasive POS.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Getting Vampire: Bloodlines first. Screw Steam. Invasive POS.
I agree.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Prices will only go down as competition dictates. I'm not sure that entertainment is a strictly competitive model. People want what they want. They have a tough time choosing Doom 3 at $35 vs. HL2 at $49.

What you'll probably see is increased discounts after the game has been out for a while. Out of the Park, for example, was released at $39, but 4 months later was $19. The distributor is looking for incremental (free to them) sales, where as a retailer is just trying to maximize profit per sale.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It might be annoying, but it isn't invasive. It sits there on top of your system and doesn't dig itself in at all.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:It might be annoying, but it isn't invasive. It sits there on top of your system and doesn't dig itself in at all.
Tell that to my CPU and Zone Alarm. :x
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:It might be annoying, but it isn't invasive. It sits there on top of your system and doesn't dig itself in at all.
Those would qualify as annoying, not invasive--it's doing nothing that you didn't specifically know it would.

I think the people piling on steam for 'not being ready' are a little off; this is a new concept, which worked remarkably well. Few (in the grand scheme of things) people had issues, the Steam servers were never overloaded from a bandwidth perspective (the issue was one with the program itself, not network saturation), and it was quickly remedied. Given the massive benefit that the gaming industry will reap from the success of this new model of distribution, a few short headaches on release day are quite acceptable, IMO.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woob--you might want to rethink your misleading title in an edit, since the game has not yet been successfully hacked. ;)
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

What's more, these people are complaining about steam as they try to d/l and activate one of the hottest games of all time, AT THE SAME TIME (IE Nov 16-17th). If you didn't pre-load it, yeah, I can imagine there'd be some lag as all 500,00 try to d/l and activate at once.

But as I pre-loaded about a week before it came out, I suffered no delays. What's more, I imagine that the people that buy it a week from now, when the crush is far less, will have little problem either.

Electrical distribution. Wave of the future, man. Hop on or drown. I agree with Alefroth, though..there will definately have to be some standardization in the future. Steam is just a step on the path.

DocDarm
New York City
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

Sorry...one last tidbit...

Imagine a world with no SAFEDISK. That's where we're heading. All games you ever bought are available to your email address or electronic signature. No CD ROM switching, no scratched DVDs. Sounds nice, don't it?

DocDarm
New York City
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Those would qualify as annoying, not invasive--it's doing nothing that you didn't specifically know it would.

I think the people piling on steam for 'not being ready' are a little off; this is a new concept, which worked remarkably well. Few (in the grand scheme of things) people had issues, the Steam servers were never overloaded from a bandwidth perspective (the issue was one with the program itself, not network saturation), and it was quickly remedied. Given the massive benefit that the gaming industry will reap from the success of this new model of distribution, a few short headaches on release day are quite acceptable, IMO.
It's doing things I don't want it to do. I want to play 1 game, that I bought, that I have on disc. Just because I knew beforehand that I would be forced to register and install Steam doesn't mean it's not invasive. It is a client I don't want on my computer but I am forced to put on in order to use another piece of software. When I am not playing the game, it is still there.

I'm all for a new and innovative distribution system. I've always liked the online model. But when I buy the game in a store, it's not a distribution thing, it's a control and copy protection thing. Which, as always, won't stop those who wish to hack, cheat, and pirate.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DocDarm wrote:Sorry...one last tidbit...

Imagine a world with no SAFEDISK. That's where we're heading. All games you ever bought are available to your email address or electronic signature. No CD ROM switching, no scratched DVDs. Sounds nice, don't it?

DocDarm
New York City
Have you ever tried to re-register an ebook? Ever been at the mercy of .NET passport authentication? It's all great in theory. Once you try to use it in a way not strictly prepared for, it doesn't work. Or 3 years down the road, when the vendor/distributor doesn't care to waste server space and bandwidth on a discontinued product, you can't get it.

What happens when email addresses go up for sale? Say I bought HL2 B&M, created a hotmail account and registered steam to that account. I play it, then ebay the game along with my email account info. Does Steam start authenticating IPs?

You guys beta for a few years and I'll embrace it when it's ready. I've already done my time with Steam.

PS, I'm still going to buy and play HL2. Which means I know full well I'm going to be using Steam in the next month or so. I'm just not happy about it and I'll probably sit down to a marathon session, finish the game and uninstall Steam.

MYT
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

You got me there, Beefaroni. I tend to embrace new, innovative ideas a bit too willingly, and before the kinks are all ironed out. (I'm what's known to marketers as "an early embracer"). I once bought a REELMAGIC board for my 486 that would allow video quality playback...as far as I know, only two games ever came out for it...Dragon's Lair and Zork (whichever Zork was full motion video). Threw $400 of student loads at that back in the late 80's.

But, I'll embrace it, work out the kinks, and if it succeeds we'll all be better of. If it fails, well, then...I think it was worth a shot.

DocDarm
New York City
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

DocDarm wrote:Sorry...one last tidbit...

DocDarm
New York City
Well yes, in theory. Sadly thanks to Vivendi, there still is safedisc on the HL2 dvd/cd disks.