Halflife 2 HAS been Cracked! Hahaha! Oh, and CS:S was TOO!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Ranulf wrote:
DocDarm wrote:Sorry...one last tidbit...

Imagine a world with no SAFEDISK. That's where we're heading. All games you ever bought are available to your email address or electronic signature. No CD ROM switching, no scratched DVDs. Sounds nice, don't it?

DocDarm
New York City
Well yes, in theory. Sadly thanks to Vivendi, there still is safedisc on the HL2 dvd/cd disks.
pwn3d.
All consumers in this situation were pwn3d in every way.
I'll buy Bloodlines, but not HL2.
Call me a jaded shit.

EDIT: Also, call me one who exhagerates. And spells badly,
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I certainly wasn't "pwn3d". I had HL2 waiting on my HD for a couple days and once Tuesday rolled around it took me about 15 minutes to unlock and start playing.

It was the most hassle-free experience I've ever had getting, and playing, a game. I recognize that others had problems, and I feel bad for them, but when it works, it works beautifully.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Eduardo wrote: Xpwn3d.
All consumers in this situation were pwn3d in every way.
I'll buy Bloodlines, but not HL2.
Call me a jaded shit.
I believe SecuROM is the copy protection on Bloodlines... I don't use CD drive emulators, and I don't know if SecuROM is as hated as SafeDisc, but there are already people screaming for a crack.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Where's the ownage? Doc said that with electronic distribution, we'd be going to a place without SafeDisc, not that we're already there. For those of us who preloaded, we don't have to worry about SafeDisc. For those that didn't, you're not yet at the stage where you don't have to worry about it. If electronic distribution takes over from the current model, however, we'll be without SafeDisc. (Although I'm sure they'll find something else fun for us. ;) )
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

I'm sure all the europeans who couldn't play their legit copies when the Steam authentification server went down think Steam is just great!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also really think HL2 is an absolute worst-case scenario. I can't imagine any game that anyone could release on Steam or any other system that would have the kind of day-one pressure that HL2 does. Quake 4, when it is released, might come close to being this kind of event, but that's the only one I can think of.

As Zaxxon said, it hasn't had any bandwidth issues. It has had a technical issue or two. That sucks, but what piece of software, even thoroughly tested, has ever been released to several million people at once without a few people digging up a new bug?

Like others have said - this has a lot of potential, needs a bit of 'perfecting', but there are tons of potential benefits once it is perfected - money for developers, steady prices, less piracy, lots of others. I think it is worth giving it a chance.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

DocDarm wrote:What's more, these people are complaining about steam as they try to d/l and activate one of the hottest games of all time, AT THE SAME TIME (IE Nov 16-17th). If you didn't pre-load it, yeah, I can imagine there'd be some lag as all 500,00 try to d/l and activate at once.

But as I pre-loaded about a week before it came out, I suffered no delays. What's more, I imagine that the people that buy it a week from now, when the crush is far less, will have little problem either.

Electrical distribution. Wave of the future, man. Hop on or drown. I agree with Alefroth, though..there will definately have to be some standardization in the future. Steam is just a step on the path.

DocDarm
New York City
Unfortunately the rate of broadband penetration is not as high as it should be. Thankfully I'm in an area where there are some options but I have friends that live out in areas where their only option is dial up that pretends it's even close to 56K (22K is more like it).
Yet another shameless plug..for something
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

godhugh wrote:It was the most hassle-free experience I've ever had getting, and playing, a game. I recognize that others had problems, and I feel bad for them, but when it works, it works beautifully.
Ditto. I bought it on Steam last Friday, pre-loaded it on my desktop and laptop on Friday night (took about 4.5 hours to pre-load to both PCs). I woke up at 7 am on Tuesday, logged into Steam and within 7 minutes, I was playing HL2. It would not be possible to be more painless.

I can see that if there were problems, I would be pissed off. But in all honesty, some people are being pissed off here for seemingly irrational reasons.

You have no problem playing the game, but you're irritated because it requires the use of a little utility to allegedly prevent piracy? Seriously?

People that can't authenticate the game they bought have a legitimate gripe in my estimation. But some of the whining in this thread seems a little odd.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

RM9,
I'm pissed off about it for 3 reasons:

-my fast machine doesn't even have a modem installed

-my slower machine does, but all I have is 56K

-it sets a potentially bad precedent for slimy publishers

And for what? All I want to do is play the SP version!
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

This has strayed from the piracy issue but it seems like the best place to comment on my problem with this method of distribution and activation. I don't mind the piracy protection this method has given them so far and as a self admited "try before I buy pirate" (anything I've spent more than an hour with has a retail box sitting on my shelf) I'd be happy with it if it does become the norm. In addition to my relatives problem below I also think this will be another reason people who aren't already PC gamers avoid gaming on a PC and stick to consoles which is a shame.

My sister and her husband recently had a baby and needed to cut back on some luxuries, while internet is a neccesity in my book it qualified as a luxury in their's. Her husband is an avid gamer and even if wanted HL2 and I got it for him for Xmas he wouldn't be able to play it as far as I understand. The only option would be to transport their PC to a house with internet for activation, seems like a pretty big hassle for some people who purchase a game at a B&M store and are only interested in SP gaming.

I guess I just think there should be some kind of over the phone activation for people in their boat although this would probably be a faster way to piracy for the crackers.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

So maybe you should join this century?

-my slower machine does, but all I have is 56K
Then you're done. You can play HL2 on your fast machine, as I understand it.

-it sets a potentially bad precedent for slimy publishers
*Everything* sets a potentially bad precedent for slimy publishers. This also sets a precedent for a game developer to build the financial justification for telling the slimy publisher to piss off.

And for what? All I want to do is play the SP version!
Maybe. For some people it just sounds like they want to complain.
Make up bags of change
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RunningMn9 wrote:
ah compassion, you are not a lost art...
He won. Period.
disarm

Post by disarm »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It's doing things I don't want it to do. I want to play 1 game, that I bought, that I have on disc. Just because I knew beforehand that I would be forced to register and install Steam doesn't mean it's not invasive. It is a client I don't want on my computer but I am forced to put on in order to use another piece of software. When I am not playing the game, it is still there.
Steam runs at startup by default, but that option is very easily turned off with a single checkbox in the settings menu (only takes 4 clicks). if you choose not to have it running in the background all the time, it will load and do its job automatically when you click your HL2 icon. once you're done playing the game and are back to the desktop, just right-click the Steam icon in your system tray, select Exit, and it's gone. Steam does not need to be running any time other than when you're playing the game unless you want it to auto-update your games keep a Friends list.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
I don't think it's a compassion issue - it's a gamer issue. As indicated elsewhere Valve didn't whip up the Steam model in isolation. The did their research. And the numbers must have shown that an overwhelming majority of their target audience had access to a 56K modem. Additionally, a large number must have had access to high speed connections. Otherwise, Steam wouldn't evolved.

It boils down to the needs of the many. Valve is re-shuffling the market and trying to carve out a new niche. Not just people with cars or credit cards that can drive to stores or make an online purchase from a B&M store.

Just look at DVD drives. How long have we had them at cheap prices? And yet publishers don't put games on them? Why? Because for some odd reason people don't buy them. I bet you 40 quadirllion dollars that if every publisher switched to the DVD format they would sell like hotcakes.

EQ2 comes on 10 CDS! 10! It's the year 2004, not 1994.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:
hepcat wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
I don't think it's a compassion issue - it's a gamer issue. As indicated elsewhere Valve didn't whip up the Steam model in isolation. The did their research. And the numbers must have shown that an overwhelming majority of their target audience had access to a 56K modem. Additionally, a large number must have had access to high speed connections. Otherwise, Steam wouldn't evolved.

It boils down to the needs of the many. Valve is re-shuffling the market and trying to carve out a new niche. Not just people with cars or credit cards that can drive to stores or make an online purchase from a B&M store.

Just look at DVD drives. How long have we had them at cheap prices? And yet publishers don't put games on them? Why? Because for some odd reason people don't buy them. I bet you 40 quadirllion dollars that if every publisher switched to the DVD format they would sell like hotcakes.

EQ2 comes on 10 CDS! 10! It's the year 2004, not 1994.
i was joking about the the delivery, not the message.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't think it's a compassion issue - it's a gamer issue.
It's not even that. It's simply a temporal issue. Or in this case - it's an issue of Valve understanding that there are enough people online that they can take this step to try and stop people from stealing from them.

The next step should be releasing games ONLY on DVD. Sure, you'll have some people in here typing "BLOWN SALE!", but no one cares about them. :)
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It could be worse. It could come on 4,862 floppy disks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: i was joking about the the delivery, not the message.
If you ever see a compassionate post from RunningMn9, someone has hijacked his account and he's probably duct-taped at the bottom of an abandoned well in someone's basement, putting lotion in a basket.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Heh, my 'fast' machine is so modern, it ONLY has a broadband adapter!

RM9, the only thing worse than people bitching about Steam, is people adamantly singing it's praises :P
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:It could be worse. It could come on 4,862 floppy disks.
Or 19,445 low-density 5 1/4" floppies.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Quick! Someone figure out how many punchcards that comes out to!! :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Biyobi wrote:Quick! Someone figure out how many punchcards that comes out to!! :lol:
I believe the exact number is 1.32 bajillion.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

The problem with mandatory online registration to me isn't just about "what about people without internet connections?"

I don't like the idea of some foreign server being a "gatekeeper" to whether I can play a game I shelled out for. 1) What if I want to install and the server is down? (as is apparently happening to some folks here). 2) What if I want to play the game in 10 years and the company went under? 3) What if I misplace my password and change my email address? Solvable, but with some annoying email tag with company admins/tech support. Maybe not solvable if, again, the company has gone under in the meantime, or has for whatever reason declined to continue supporting said game.

I suppose in the end "no registration cracks" will become as widespread as "no CD cracks" are now for gamers tired of the hassle.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Does the CD still need to be in the drive after you have registered the game in order to play it?

I'm wondering if this is anything like Widows XP, if I'm constantly changing parts in my machine and/or reformating will it stop me from registering at some point?

If not then I guess to hell with people like my sister's family and I'll accept this as the future of PC gaming.
Al

This doesn't relate to anything either.

Post by Al »

How many miles of tape would it take?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Zaxxon wrote:
For some reason I think zaxxon enjoys trying outnerd people out
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

naednek wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
For some reason I think zaxxon enjoys trying outnerd people out
:D
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Half Life 2 has been cracked. You should have kept the title as it was.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

DocDarm wrote:No problems whatsoever with Steam here.

You know, it seems this gamer's forum is full of crotchety old men. Everything is "The Good Old Days" and new ideas are credited as being "worthless", "waste of time", etc etc.

Steam is a brave foray into electrical distribution. Name ONE publisher you like (EA? VIVENDI? JOWOOD??). This is Valve's powerful move to sidestep them. This is an industry leader making a bold move.

Problems? Sure, a few. But I'd bet that the vast majority of users are like me, and glide through Steam like its butter (okay, bad analogy).

Congrats, Valve...on releasing a GREAT game, with a brand new distribution model that will make games CHEAPER for us (in the long run) and more PROFITABLE for you.

DocDarm
New York City
You mean their brave foray into the shareware model? ID Software sold Doom directly to customers back in the early 90's.

This is just another form of copy protection and a way of maximizing profits. This makes the cost to distrubite the game only the cost of bandwidth. IF (and that's a big IF) this makes games cheaper, I'm all for it. But I don't want to spend the same amount of money to download a game that I would to buy it. I think it is great that Valve is releasing the game this way but why should I spend my time burning it to a dvd or cd's and without a manual if I don't get anything extra for it and I don't get a price break?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

You do get something extra for it. DoD:Source and Valve's entire back catalogue. Plus, no CD check and you even get the reference card in electronic form. Oh, no sales tax either.

So, for 59.99 even, you get HL2, HL:Source, CS:Source, DoD: Source, and a whole bunch of other games. Plus you get to download and activate it very easily. Go to a B&M Store and for 59.99 plus tax you get a DVD of HL2 install files, CS:Source, a flimsy manual, and a crappy t-shirt.

I think you're getting something extra for the same price if you buy via Steam :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well count me in the "Steam sucks ass" crowd.

I'll even set aside the MAJOR install bug that causes a CD error 4/5 of the way through the installation if you choose not to install Counter-Strike (that little beauty cost me an hour of frustration).

It took me probably 10-15 minutes to "unlock" Half-Life 2. I'm sorry, I just sat through a half hour install (hour and a half for me, since I ran into that bug), and now I have to sit there for 15 more minutes while the damn thing unlocks the CD I just paid for? I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. Microsoft charges hundreds of dollars for their software, and their product activation takes about ten seconds AND can be done by phone. So no, I don't think Steam is all that and a bag of chips.

And at the end of the day, where are we? Oh yeah...the pirates still have the game and the legitimate consumers end up dealing with the frustration as usual.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

So, technically, you get a no-cd check. I can get HL2 for $49.99 shipped at newegg. Not 59.99. I have to admit that I probably don't have Valve's entire back catalog but that IS $10 more. For the 49.99 price (the same price I can buy the retail copy), you get HL2 and CS:S and the no-cd check.

What is in the back catalog of games? How does steam (or the dvd for that matter) deal with multiple computers (I have a laptop that I use for gaming, too).
Al

Do not remind me that I could install Steam at work!

Post by Al »

EvilHomer3k wrote:What is in the back catalog of games?
Half-Life 1
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Opposing Force
Counter Strike
CS: Condition Zero
CS: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes
Deathmatch Classic
Codename Gordon
Ricochet
How does steam (or the dvd for that matter) deal with multiple computers (I have a laptop that I use for gaming, too).
Install Steam, log in and download away. I'd guess the DVD works the same way once you set up a Steam account but I don't know for sure.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

bluefugue wrote: I don't like the idea of some foreign server being a "gatekeeper" to whether I can play a game I shelled out for. 1) What if I want to install and the server is down? (as is apparently happening to some folks here). 2) What if I want to play the game in 10 years and the company went under? 3) What if I misplace my password and change my email address? Solvable, but with some annoying email tag with company admins/tech support. Maybe not solvable if, again, the company has gone under in the meantime, or has for whatever reason declined to continue supporting said game.
This is a prime example of why paradigm shifts are so far and few between. VALVe has the nerve to stand up to consumers and force a new way of thinking. They may be resented by the vocal few in the short term, but ten years from now they will likely be the undeniable pioneers. I say, sorry bout the hassle but deal with it. Whether it seems like it to you or not, this is progress.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Jow

Post by Jow »

Progress? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day, dude.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zekester wrote:Heh, my 'fast' machine is so modern, it ONLY has a broadband adapter!

RM9, the only thing worse than people bitching about Steam, is people adamantly singing it's praises :P
No, the people who aren't having problems with Steam that are complaining about Steam are worse - especially when they assume that anyone that points out the ridiculousness of their complaints is "singing the praises" of Steam.

Steam working fantastically for me. So I don't complain about it. I don't care that it is using a precious 17MB of RAM while it sits idly on my machine at all times. I don't get what the big deal is. Any more than the people complaining about the Service Control Manager running while Windows XP is running.

And if your "fast" machine has a broadband adapter - hook it up and stop join this millenium. :)
Make up bags of change
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I don't mind Steam at all but it is a little absurd that the unlocking process takes 10-15 minutes. I thought that happened to me because I was signing on the very minute they launched the game. I'm surprised to hear it's still taking that long. Seems like it could/should be done in a flash.

Has anyone reported it taking less time to authenticate?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rrmorton wrote:I don't mind Steam at all but it is a little absurd that the unlocking process takes 10-15 minutes.
This really depends on how they're unlocking. For all we know the game could be calculating a hash on your 4+ GB HL2 file, for which 10-15 minutes ain't half bad.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

You mean their brave foray into the shareware model? ID Software sold Doom directly to customers back in the early 90's.
And people are still doing this very day - from Spiderweb to Illwinter to Stardock. Based on some readings (net-wide), some (admittedly, we're speaking of an minority) people seem to think that Valve has just revolutionized software distribution. The only difference between now and 5 or 10 years ago is the cost of bandwith has made it easier than ever to distribute large files (don't tell Blizzard that though, hehehe).

This is more about the big guys being late to the party, though it wasn't their fault the ride wasn't ready for so long.
This is just another form of copy protection and a way of maximizing profits. This makes the cost to distrubite the game only the cost of bandwidth. IF (and that's a big IF) this makes games cheaper, I'm all for it. But I don't want to spend the same amount of money to download a game that I would to buy it. I think it is great that Valve is releasing the game this way but why should I spend my time burning it to a dvd or cd's and without a manual if I don't get anything extra for it and I don't get a price break?
I tend to agree here. The copy protection thing is something the jury will be out on for some time I think, but that definately looks like a reason they did it. The cutting out of the publishers I applaud them for and I hope they get a bunch of Steam sales, and make boatloads of cash. But the little guys have been doing this, for precisely this reason (well, that and they couldn't get B&M shelf space to save their lives), for some time.

What else makes Steam different from Drengin.net I wonder? I don't recall any sort of validation or checking done with GalCiv (someone correct me if I am wrong; IIRC I purchased it in the store but installed the basic Drengin stuff so I could get updates easily). So theres the copy protection. Access to all that Half Life stuff is nice, but you can get some pretty swell stuff with a Drengin subscription right now as well (the full Disciples 2 and there are more games to come). You have to pay more for that priviledge, and IIRC that payment lasts you a fixed amount of time (a year?), but every game available on Drengin is suddenly yours (so you don't have to buy GalCiv + full Drengin subscription). So some of this is not something Valve has done first either (though neither was Stardock the firs to do it; we go back to the 80s to find that).

Really, the timing was right for a dev to do this with a big game (both in terms of "prestiege" and in terms of file size). I'd probably buy HL2 in the store if I was going to get it, but maybe I'd go the steam route. Smaller devs can easily allow someone to "backup" a downloaded game (it takes one file, post registration, for any of Spiderweb's games. And it's a tiny file). I find that preferrable to burning something as big as HL2 to DVD/CD(s).
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Zekester wrote:Heh, my 'fast' machine is so modern, it ONLY has a broadband adapter!

No, the people who aren't having problems with Steam that are complaining about Steam are worse - especially when they assume that anyone that points out the ridiculousness of their complaints is "singing the praises" of Steam.

Steam working fantastically for me. So I don't complain about it. I don't care that it is using a precious 17MB of RAM while it sits idly on my machine at all times. I don't get what the big deal is. Any more than the people complaining about the Service Control Manager running while Windows XP is running.

And if your "fast" machine has a broadband adapter - hook it up and stop join this millenium. :)
Dude, i'll gladly go back to broadband......as soon as I start receiving your monthly checks to pay for it.
Duh.

Oh, and I don't have Steam now, so i don't know where your first paragraph is coming from.

I'm glad Steam is working so well for you, really.
But it has kept me from spending my 'not-so-easy-to-come-by' cash on HL2 because I don't fit into Valve's perfect "model consumer"

And guess what i did then?
Went out and bought Doom3 to play instead.....and it's quite good :D