Half-Life 2: Ravenholm (SPOILERS)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

godhugh
Forum Admin

Half-Life 2: Ravenholm (SPOILERS)

Post by godhugh »

I finally got through the Ravenholm area last night and I have to ask...Has anyone else ever played a level as scary as that one?

Everything about the place is just plain creepy. From the burning zombie monument, to the electrified body hanging on the fence, to the super fast werewolf-like headcrab guys. It's fantastic.

I got to one point where I was totally out of ammo except for my shotgun. I had about 5 zombies slowly coming at me. It was just me, my shotgun, and lots of bloody death. :twisted:

Of course, I eventually ran out of shells so it was just me, my gravity gun, flammable barrely, and lots of firey death ;).

Oh, and Father Gregory is the coolest character I've ever seen in a game!
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
RashG

Post by RashG »

I had to take breaks because I was scared shitless. The sound those fast zombies make is the creepiest I have ever heard. And then they come close to you and beat you with their arms like maniacs. Pure genious.

Doom 3 was nothing compared to this.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

The fast zombies were freaking insane. The 'lumberjack' zombies who have the backfull of the poison headcrabs and keep chucking them, also INSANE.

My favorite physics thing on the level so far is to carry around a rusty buzzsaw blade in the Physics Gun and use it as a projectile. It cuts zombies in HALF!!!!

This game is so sweet.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I dunno, I was a lot more scared by the Bonehoard back in Thief 1. Not sure why that is, maybe their groans just creeped me out more -- or the knowledge that, since it was a Thief game, I had no hope of actually fighting them.

But yeah, the fast zombies are creepy and very well animated.

Also it's the level that has the most replay potential so far, because there are a lot of different traps and physics objects you can use to deal with the zombies. I like how the low ammo forces you to be creative.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

BTW, anyone know how that "blood toxin" effect works? It takes me down to one hitpoint and then gradually my hitpoints go up by 10s. But I still seem able to survive damage even in my 1-hp state. Strange, I don't really understand the underlying mechanic.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

bluefugue wrote:BTW, anyone know how that "blood toxin" effect works? It takes me down to one hitpoint and then gradually my hitpoints go up by 10s. But I still seem able to survive damage even in my 1-hp state. Strange, I don't really understand the underlying mechanic.
You're probably just getting hit by those same mobs again. I dont think they actually do any damage(other than the neurotoxin thing, which is just fine by itself, thanks); but they rely on other mobs to knock that one HP off. PLus if you'll notice your suit recovers you pretty quickly. Next time you get hit, note where you started at HPs-wise, and where you come back to and you'll know if something else got you while you were poisoned, or if it was just the poison thingys.

Great level though. I too ran outta ammo and was resorting to firing off cans of paint(love how the zombies get covered in paint when you do that; nice touch), saw blades(reminded me of that ending scene in Twister: "Who lives here?!?!" :) ), and whatever else I could scrounge.

DIdnt touch AvP2 as far as scary goes...for me at least. But then Ive always held a special place in my diapers for ALiens. Saw the first one when I was like 8 or 9, and I spent the next 3 months sleeping on my parent's floor. Hard to overcome childhood trauma. :(

It's definitely my favorite level so far in the game, though.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I loved the graveyard at the end. You have a ton of shotgun ammo and a ton of slow moving zombies. If there's a heaven in video games, that's it ;).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
malchior

Post by malchior »

That level is fantastic. It's totally got that gothic horror vibe to it. This game is an instant classic from that level alone, but it managed to get even better later in my opinion. I'm totally digging it. And I've still got Vampire: Bloodlines ready to go too. It's a very good week for PC gaming. ;)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Forgot to mention one really neat thing that happened to me. Those fast monsters were chasing me and I closed a door behind me. I was thinking....finally some time to breathe and then the whole lot of them came crashing in through the skylight. I almost jumped out of my skin....wow.
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

malchior wrote:Forgot to mention one really neat thing that happened to me. Those fast monsters were chasing me and I closed a door behind me. I was thinking....finally some time to breathe and then the whole lot of them came crashing in through the skylight. I almost jumped out of my skin....wow.
Heh..I did that EXACT same thing.

Best game out in quite a while, I think. People that won't buy it because of Steam are, well, wierd. :P

DocDarm
New York City
Kagath

Post by Kagath »

I was forced to make liberal use of the crowbar on that level. Those dang poisonous crabs scared me the first time. Yeah I'm not afraid to admit it...

Is the preacher supposed to die in the graveyard at the end? I ran through the gate and then had to shoot some of the barrels. The guy disappeared and I don't know where he went.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DocDarm wrote:
malchior wrote:Forgot to mention one really neat thing that happened to me. Those fast monsters were chasing me and I closed a door behind me. I was thinking....finally some time to breathe and then the whole lot of them came crashing in through the skylight. I almost jumped out of my skin....wow.
Heh..I did that EXACT same thing.

Best game out in quite a while, I think. People that won't buy it because of Steam are, well, wierd. :P

DocDarm
New York City
Got me too. It's good to see that a designer can impart fear and tension without making the maps pitch black. Ravenholm is damn amazing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

The poison head crabs suck. The only thing worse than that is the bastards the TOSS those bastards at you. A few hairy moments, didn't find it as tension filled as AvP2's Marine campaign, mostly because I've done a good job of anticipating when I'll get attacked thus far. I tell you what though, this game fills me with a bloodlust to give a little payback to every bastard that gives me grief at some point. From the Combine to the fast moving zombies.

It gave me great pleasure when waiting for the trolley to get to the cemetary, to see which pipe they were climbing up, running to the edge and giving them a face full of shotgun before they could get on the roof.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Yeah, you see the pipe rattling, get your shotgun ready, and BLAM! in the face. Very satisfying...
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Ronin wrote: I tell you what though, this game fills me with a bloodlust to give a little payback to every bastard that gives me grief at some point. From the Combine to the fast moving zombies.
No shit. I'm constantly cursing while playing this game. Every time one of those bastards startles me, it's the trusty old shotgun and me shouting "DIE DIE DIE BITCH" and other words I won't repeat here ;)

Anyway, I'm now in the buggy level, so I've finished Ravenholm, and I have to say: AWESOME level. I especially liked tossing bricks, saws and everything else I could get my hands on at the oncoming zombies with the gravgun in the cemetary. :)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
warning

Post by warning »

I found it tense but not very scary. It was like a great big playground. I loved using the gravity gun on everything. I think I only used the shotgun 3-4 times and nothing else. My main grav gun weapon was The Radiator of Death!!!

One of the best levels ever in any game. I want to play it again. And Father Grigory rocks!
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

GungHo wrote:
bluefugue wrote:BTW, anyone know how that "blood toxin" effect works? It takes me down to one hitpoint and then gradually my hitpoints go up by 10s. But I still seem able to survive damage even in my 1-hp state. Strange, I don't really understand the underlying mechanic.
You're probably just getting hit by those same mobs again. I dont think they actually do any damage(other than the neurotoxin thing, which is just fine by itself, thanks); but they rely on other mobs to knock that one HP off. PLus if you'll notice your suit recovers you pretty quickly. Next time you get hit, note where you started at HPs-wise, and where you come back to and you'll know if something else got you while you were poisoned, or if it was just the poison thingys.
If you get hit enough, you start not being able to move either. Eventually, all you can do is shoot at things.

I didn't think the level was that scary. Especially since I made sure I kept the sawblade and the fanblade handy. Just line up 3 or 4 zombies and blast them all in half. With the fan-blade that falls off the machine by the gondola, you can take out 5 or 6 at a time.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

I liked it but I have to admit I thought it was a bit ...forced....there were just all these points where luckily there were either saw blades, flamable barrels, or those air take things right before enemies!

I felt like they came up with the gravity gun and then built a level to show it off.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

That's pretty much exactly what they did, but I didn't mind. :)
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I liked it but I have to admit I thought it was a bit ...forced....there were just all these points where luckily there were either saw blades, flamable barrels, or those air take things right before enemies!
Farther Grigory left all sorts of traps around town, and probably other objects to keep him safe. Granted those also were very useful by the gravity gun :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Repentant

Post by Repentant »

How does one get beyond the electrified fence just after seeing Gregory for the first time?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Repentant wrote:How does one get beyond the electrified fence just after seeing Gregory for the first time?
Go back to where all the burning bodies were. There's a valve shut off switch (and a zombie). Turn off the valve and then enter the building behind where the bodies were burning. On the top floor there's a switch to turn off the power to the fence.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I thought Father Gregory was going end up turning on me in the end, so I was always prepared to send him packing when we were together.

I also think they could have played up the rattleing gutters a bit more too. Either have both rattling at once or have a 2nd one come at you from some other direction. At the right time I am sure it would have sacred me poop-less.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I've just finished Ravenholm... it was definitely one of the better levels so far, though not as scary as it could have been. The nursery in Thief 3 was creepier.

- Ash
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I'm glad it wasn't any scarier. I don't do well playing really scary games (Fatal Frame, System Shock etc.) by myself at my new apartment. Ravenholm was scary enough for me :)
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I really liked Ravenholm. It wasn't as scary as Doom 3 (Call me a wuss but I can't play that game for more than 1 hour at a time) but it was pretty scary. I was able to keep going for a few hours straight before I made it through. I really loved it. It would have been my favorite level of the game but each level kept getting better as the game went on!
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
msurby

Post by msurby »

I'm kinda stuck in Ravenholm. The shotgun guy just talked to me about his flock and I went down into an alley between two buildings where there were a ton of zombies and headcrabs. It seems like I should be down there as there was a kind of secret area that could be accessed by blowing up a barrel, but I can't find a way out. There is a car down there that I have shot all over the place trying to find someplace to climb out - is this the key? There is also a lower grated area with a fire inside - can I get in there?

I really haven't seen too many people get stuck in this part so I'm sure I'm being stupid. (This is past the car elevator - which I did figure out myself)
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

msurby wrote:I'm kinda stuck in Ravenholm. The shotgun guy just talked to me about his flock and I went down into an alley between two buildings where there were a ton of zombies and headcrabs. It seems like I should be down there as there was a kind of secret area that could be accessed by blowing up a barrel, but I can't find a way out. There is a car down there that I have shot all over the place trying to find someplace to climb out - is this the key? There is also a lower grated area with a fire inside - can I get in there?
If you're where I think you are (SPOILERS), at one end of the alley (the far end from the grated fire)there's a ladder you can climb to get up onto a plank/catwalk thing... once you're up there, you're back on the level's rail, and shouldn't have a problem.

- Ash
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I was stumped there for a while too. I posted about it in the other Ravenholm thread.

(Man, you know a game is good when it's supporting two active threads about a single level within the game!)

Reprinted now, with the author's permission.
I spent a while trying to get the large saw blade propped up (with the help of a milk crate and a lamp post) so I could use it as a ramp to the ledge where I needed to be. I finally did it and as soon as I triumphantly set foot on top of the ledge, right around a corner I saw a stack of boxes that I was clearly "supposed to" use. D'oh!

The point of that story is not that I'm a moron, but rather, the game let me come up with another way!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I just met up with Father Grigory at the church and agree it's a great level. My first stab at the initial parts of the level I burned through almost all my ammo and then realized all the ammo-free ways there are to kill things. I restarted and have barely touched my guns, except for the area right before you reach the church. You do have to be careful though. A few times I laid out oil barrels as traps, only to see a zombie pick them up and toss them at me before I could detonate them. There was also a hacksaw trap or two that would break after a few seconds...

The smaller oxygen-tank like objects are my favorite Grav-gun "ammo". Fire em at something and whoosh... up in flames! They're small enough that they don't obscure your vision too much while carrying them. I found them particularly useful against those poison crab... zombie... things? since one hit kills them.

While waiting for Father Grigory to send the lift across to me I saw the "advanced" zombies come up two different downspouts, although on a reload they only came up one. Suffice to say... it was easier when they just came up the one. The .357 magnum works just as well as the shotgun for taking their heads off as they reach the top :wink:

I simply love the voice talent for the Father too... he cracks me up!

"Of course you've already met my... congregation! Bwah hahahaha!"

If he comes to an untimely end I'll be very upset. Here's hoping an expansion pack or mod is devoted to him :wink:
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I'm kinda stuck in Ravenholm. The shotgun guy just talked to me about his flock and I went down into an alley between two buildings where there were a ton of zombies and headcrabs. It seems like I should be down there as there was a kind of secret area that could be accessed by blowing up a barrel, but I can't find a way out. There is a car down there that I have shot all over the place trying to find someplace to climb out - is this the key? There is also a lower grated area with a fire inside - can I get in there?
I think there is a ladder for you to climb out, if the part you are in is the part I think it is. It took me a bit to find the ladder and i slapped myself for missing it afterwards.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jonsauce wrote:
I think there is a ladder for you to climb out, if the part you are in is the part I think it is. It took me a bit to find the ladder and i slapped myself for missing it afterwards.
Yep. Go all the way down into the dark, bottom part of the alley and look for the ladder.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

farley2k wrote:I liked it but I have to admit I thought it was a bit ...forced....there were just all these points where luckily there were either saw blades, flamable barrels, or those air take things right before enemies!

I felt like they came up with the gravity gun and then built a level to show it off.
The whole game feels that way so far to me :?

I'm almost through with Ravenholm, and just never got creeped out by it or anything. The game is fun when it's run and gun, but this level just hasn't done it for me at all... it doesn't do suspense well at all in my opinion.

I am enjoying the game though, even though I didn't care for HL1 at all. The game of catch was worth playing the game for by itself :D
msurby

Post by msurby »

Thanks for all the help guys. I can't believe I didn't see that ladder - it was very brightly lit and obvious. Finally got the shotgun and met up with a few fast zombies. The whole mood created with their howls and the shaking gutters is just fantastic.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

msurby wrote:Finally got the shotgun and met up with a few fast zombies. The whole mood created with their howls and the shaking gutters is just fantastic.
I managed to kill one of those guys in mid-air as it was jumping across a very large open courtyard. Watching him splat-land was probably the best physics-engine moment I've had so far.

- Ash
disarm

Post by disarm »

Asharak wrote:I managed to kill one of those guys in mid-air as it was jumping across a very large open courtyard. Watching him splat-land was probably the best physics-engine moment I've had so far.
if you thought that was cool, you need to catch one in mid-air with a sawblade. i had a fast zombie jumping toward me from a high rooftop and caught it with the blade...sliced it in half and both pieces landed right at my feet. definitely one of my coolest moments in Ravenholm 8)
CSL

Post by CSL »

Asharak wrote:
msurby wrote:Finally got the shotgun and met up with a few fast zombies. The whole mood created with their howls and the shaking gutters is just fantastic.
I managed to kill one of those guys in mid-air as it was jumping across a very large open courtyard. Watching him splat-land was probably the best physics-engine moment I've had so far.

- Ash
SPOILERS
I thought the best physics moment so far was on the Dune Buggy Level when you reach the area with the crane you pick up your buggy with. As soon as you do several Combine troops come out of the far side. Being the shifty individual that I am I picked up the shipping crates smashed two of them off the dock into the waiting arms of some Ant Lions. The final one I smashed to death with a large steel bar. :twisted:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

CSL wrote:
Asharak wrote:

- Ash
SPOILERS
I thought the best physics moment so far was on the Dune Buggy Level when you reach the area with the crane you pick up your buggy with. As soon as you do several Combine troops come out of the far side. Being the shifty individual that I am I picked up the shipping crates smashed two of them off the dock into the waiting arms of some Ant Lions. The final one I smashed to death with a large steel bar. :twisted:
More Spoilers
That's pretty cool. I dropped the crates on top of them. Combine go squish!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I only just started the dune buggy level, so I haven't had the chance to try that yet - but I'm sure as heck going to! :D

- Ash
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Heh. I also thought that I was being so smart closing that door thinking "Take that you freaks!" They schooled me... :shock:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?