If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kelric

They can't make me go into Ravenholm!

Post by Kelric »

I refuse to! It's gonna be too scary! :cry:
Kagath

Post by Kagath »

I just finished that part before quitting. It was very atmospheric...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Smoove_B

Re: They can't make me go into Ravenholm!

Post by Smoove_B »

Kelric wrote:I refuse to! It's gonna be too scary! :cry:
Slap some headphones on, dim the lights and enjoy the ride.

Also, prepare to crap your bag.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I refuse to go in. That will have to wait until tomorrow night.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Incendiary Lemon

Re: They can't make me go into Ravenholm!

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Smoove_B wrote:Slap some headphones on

I have a decent set of earphones but I found my tape glue and gravity surround setup preferable. Perhaps its a bug or error on my part but I wasn't get the environmental audio that 5.1 produced (no wind in the trees...). My headphones were also giving me a very poor sense of sound position.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Honestly I didn't find it that scary. It's a tough level, action-wise, and interesting because of all the gravity-gun options. But (and I played it in the middle of the night with headphones on) it didn't freak me out like certain moments in Thief or AvP.

Maybe it didn't occur to me that it was supposed to be scary. The Half Life zombies are more like "old friends" to me, heh.
knob

Post by knob »

I don't know, I started Ravenholm yesterday and I can't say it ever freaked me out yet.

I really like the level, though. Throwing exploding barrels with the gravity gun, only to miss and have them blow up in your face is great.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
docvego

Post by docvego »

I just finished this area on hard last night. Lots of fun with the minimal ammo and fun using the gravity gun all the time. I think the 'advanced' Head-Crab Zombies were pretty scary to fight the first time I saw them. They take like 3 shotgun blasts to take out on hard. If you didn't hear them coming from the other side of the map they would have been a lot scarier. Their was one point when I put myself in a room and pushed some boxes infront of a door to buy myself some time from a few of the Fast Zombies, only to have them (after trying the door) bust in through some skylights. THAT was scary.

Their were also a few points when I was trying to figure out where I needed to go, but waves of Zombies just kept coming at me; It felt very "Survival Horror" :D
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I haven't been terribly scared by Ravenholm as yet (only partway through it), but it is definitely a creepy level. The bisecting corpse hung from the tree... the sparking skeleton... dropping cars on zombies. Wee! ;)

- Ash
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Ravenholm is a great sequence. A perfect showpiece for the grav gun and the physics engine. Also the sheer irony of a vision of hell with a priest running the show and helping you out. It does a great job of emphasizing the state of the planet since the Combine took over. Great area.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
disarm

Post by disarm »

after all the hype, i finally ventured into Ravenhold this afternoon. it's definitely the best part of the game so far and has some great sequences and scenery. i don't think it's all that 'scary' though...it's a bit eerie at times and the fast zombies make for some intense moments, but you can usually tell when those things are coming. in any case, it's a ton of fun...a perfect showcase for the gravity gun and physics engine. i made it a point to use as little ammo as possible and had a blast throwing stuff around 8)
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Creepy, creepy level...it was really cool, though. I enjoyed it. I'm a wuss though, so I'm pretty thankful I'm done with the level. Now I can play at night and not be all jumpy :D
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Just finished Ravenholm and got to the buggy. Very fun level! It freaked me out here and there, but it wasn't that scary..

I love efficiently managing gravity gun ammo so you always have a deadly object handy. For example, shooting a saw blade up into a room above you, then climbing a ladder after it. Or filling a lift with gas tanks and barrels before descending.

I spent a while trying to get the large saw blade propped up (with the help of a milk crate and a lamp post) so I could use it as a ramp to the ledge where I needed to be. I finally did it and as soon as I triumphantly set foot on top of the ledge, right around a corner I saw a stack of boxes that I was clearly "supposed to" use. D'oh!

The point of that story is not that I'm a moron, but rather, the game let me come up with another way!

HALF-LIFE 2 IS SO MUCH FUN!

Does anyone else think of Myst while playing? I'm not sure why, but I do. I guess it's the photorealism or the sense of wonder or something. Whoever said this game feels like it took 5 years to create was right on the money.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Does anyone else think of Myst while playing? I'm not sure why, but I do.
Yep. For me it's the graphics. They have the pre-rendered quality of the later Myst games, particularly the water. There are also a lot of levers and gears and valves and things, which reminds me of the puzzles in Myst.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote:
Does anyone else think of Myst while playing? I'm not sure why, but I do.
Yep. For me it's the graphics. They have the pre-rendered quality of the later Myst games, particularly the water. There are also a lot of levers and gears and valves and things, which reminds me of the puzzles in Myst.
Two things:

(1) Yellowking - your avatar freaks me out almost as much as if it were an Octopus.

(2) Yeah, it's pretty damn nifty how they integrated the physics into puzzle solving. I don' want to spoil it for those still milling about Ravenholm, but there are definately more physics-related puzzles.

Think....Tremors. ;
Maybe next year, maybe no go
raydude

Post by raydude »

I found myself approaching Ravenholm as if I was Ash in Army of Darkness. I was cutting up bodies on the ground, just to be sure they don't come back. Blade + gravity gun is a nice substitute for a chainsaw arm :).