Rumble Box!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordGek

Rumble Box!

Post by LordGek »

Hey Gang,

This game is too cute and stupid to be missed! You play as some strange cell shaded stick figurey like guy fighting other stick figures (actually more like block figures) in a sealed areana. The controls are as basic as could be, direction keys, spacebar (for attack), and Alt (for grabbing and throwing baddies). Each time you knock out a baddy he falls apart into his composite blocks and your eventual goal is to let these dead baddy blocks eventually pile up so high in some part of the arena that you can climb out of the arena. You make your points via smacking the guys down, more if you can smack several down in rapid succession. Some of the baddies you're fighting have bombs for heads so that as soon as you knock them down you need to clear out of their immediate area or get blasted (or work it so they take out a bunch of their cohorts for a nice bonus)! There are also a variety of clever little bonus stages between each level (which bonus game you get depends on how well you did on the level via the time left and combo bonuses). Good FREE FUN (I believe its some student project)!

http://phackett.com/rumblebox/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

now THAT'S an original concept! i'm gonna have to give this one a try.
He won. Period.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

That's pretty fun.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Pretty fun. I use the hold then attack mostly (to swing an opponent in a circle and let him go). The dash attacks are okay, but I haven't quite got the hang of them.

Anyone have other working combinations?

Also, I haven't quite worked out the scoring yet. How do you get chains and combos? I see them pop up every once in awhile, but I can't quite tell how I get them.

My high score is 1.6 million so far...
LordGek

You!

Post by LordGek »

Nice work Josh!

I don't think I have anywhere near your scores but I get the scoring, at least. Any attacks made in rapid succession count as "combos". So if you do stuff like maybe hold off attacking until the room has a bunch of folk that you take all out in rapid succession you'll get some huge combos. The different dudes are worth different base points so if you could somehow, for example, hit the big stone guy at the end of your combo his 250 points x3 is better than 100 x3 that you'd get for one of the standard grunts as the third guy in a combo.

So what does the game have in store for those later stages? I have yet to get past Stage 3 myself.
Effidian

Re: You!

Post by Effidian »

LordGek wrote:So what does the game have in store for those later stages? I have yet to get past Stage 3 myself.
Heck if I know, I haven't been past 3 either. I keep starting over rather than continuing, so that I can try out different moves in a less hectic environment.

Are those combos or chains you are talking about? It sounds like chains, but as I said I haven't quite figured them out yet.

The hold then attack spinning opponent thing can get you some nice bonuses. Whirlwind, Strike! and Bomber are the three I remember. Those are worth hefty points.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

Nice!

I've gotten the Mad Bomber when I luckily manage to take a bunch of folk out with a bomb, but never the Whirlwind, I'll need to work on my Holding techniques some more.

Sorry if I misunderstood you earlier but, I could be wrong here, I beleive combos and chains are interconnected. If you noticed with the combos they max out at x8 and, only a theory here, I beleive the chains are combos you get while your combo meter is already maxed out at x8. So the individuals you take out will never give you more than their base points x 8 BUT getting multiple combos beyond this will score you chain bonuses (1,000 x chain) up to x25 where you'll then get the series automatically reset and a nice 25,000 point bonus! While I'm not super sure on this, the base points for the baddies or maybe even how many combos are needed to start the chains might go up to higher thresholds as you go to later stages.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Well, I just got 2.9 million. After stage 3 you start on Challenge mode. I got to stage 2 challenge. It adds falling bombs at some interval, but I haven't hit new enemies since stage 3 of normal. However, since those brown/green guys didn't show up in stage 1 or 2 of challenge, I imagine there are some new guys waiting further down the challenge track.

Edit: Another thing, you can grab 2 oppenents and then spin both of them around. Just grab one, then grab another and do what you will with them. This takes more time, so I don't use it much, but it is doubly effective...
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

So after stage 3 challenge you start over on challenge stage 1. I got 6 million something.