So, how might HL2 run on this system...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daveman

So, how might HL2 run on this system...

Post by Daveman »

Upgrading in the near future is out of the question, so how might this system handle HL2? I know it's above the "minimum" requirements but you know how those go...

Athlon 1.4Ghz
896MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800Pro (128MB)
nothing fancy in the sound card department

I've always been a framerate-kind of guy and don't mind setting things down at all so long as the game is playable. I can play Far Cry at 800x600 without the fancy shadows and it plays well, so I'm somewhat hopeful.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I have a system that's a little faster than yours, but otherwise identical (vid card, etc). I was wondering the same thing. I don't mind playing it at 800x600 with Medium textures. If I can't get that then I'm not interested in playing the game. And as a lowly student in my last year of school, finding money to upgrade is out of the question until mid next year.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have the same system except I have a 1700XP and 1GB of RAM. Runs amazingly well with the default settings (1024x768 with most things turned to max). I have some sound stuttering (but then so do a lot of people), and things hiccup when I blow up barrels some times - which I suspect it's more sound related than anything else, but otherwise it runs great.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have an 2.0 GHz AMD with 1 GB of RAM and an ATI 9700 Pro (128 MB).

So...we're pretty close. I am running at 1024 x 768, with all details on high, except for sound (fixes stutter). Additionally, it's on trilinear filtering and 2XAA.

Runs fandamtastic. Before I turned on the AA, I was getting 86 fps in the CS: Source stress test.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

How might it run?
It might run better than any other game in history. Fuck, it may run so fast that the NSA confiscates your computer.
I don't think you should test your fate!
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

The game runs surprisingly well on my rig, and I've read similar stories from others with similarly ancient hardware.

Athlon XP 1700
512MB DDR333
Geforce4 ti4200 (overclocked to ti4400 speeds)
Soundblaster Live

1024x768, no FSAA, trilinear filtering, high shadows, and medium settings everywhere else. Rarely drops below 30fps. I'd say it runs about as well as Far Cry, and better than Doom3.

I had audio stutter until I turned down the audio settings from high to medium. Still sounds great.

I'm so happy with the performance on my 2-year old rig, I think I might tempt fate and bump the resolution up to 1152x864 tonight :)

Source is one kick-ass engine.

P.S. First post! Yay for me!
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I have a custom made AMD Athlon 1800+ with an Nvidia Ti 300 and 1.23 gig of ram and I am playing at 1600x1200 with everything turned to max but with antialysing turned off and it runs perfect, Fast, smooth, no mouse delays, and no sound problems.

I think I have the lowest system here, so I don't understand why the rest of you with your high powered machines are having problems. Unless its some type of hardware conflict.

I started off at 800x600 based on this thread, and then just started bumping up to see what effect it would have and finally quit at the above configuration.

I really wish all games would run this well. I wasn't quite as lucky with Doom 3, but it was still very playable but at much lower res.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Ripstar wrote:I have a custom made AMD Athlon 1800+ with an Nvidia Ti 300 and 1.23 gig of ram and I am playing at 1600x1200 with everything turned to max but with antialysing turned off and it runs perfect, Fast, smooth, no mouse delays, and no sound problems.
Hmm... is that Ti300 a Geforce3? I honestly can't imagine the game running perfectly on that card at 1600x1200 with everything maxed. Unless "perfectly" means 10fps! The card just doesn't have the bandwidth. Are you sure you're really running at 1600x1200?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Programmer wrote:
Ripstar wrote:I have a custom made AMD Athlon 1800+ with an Nvidia Ti 300 and 1.23 gig of ram and I am playing at 1600x1200 with everything turned to max but with antialysing turned off and it runs perfect, Fast, smooth, no mouse delays, and no sound problems.
Hmm... is that Ti300 a Geforce3? I honestly can't imagine the game running perfectly on that card at 1600x1200 with everything maxed. Unless "perfectly" means 10fps! The card just doesn't have the bandwidth. Are you sure you're really running at 1600x1200?
There would be no DX9 effects either. However, if it does indeed run perfectly on there, helloooo laptop!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gorky1

Post by gorky1 »

A defrag run completely cleared the sound stuttering problem for my AthlonXP 1800+, Radeon 9700 Pro, 512MB DDR, Audigy 2 ZS. I run everything on medium, except textures on high and sound on low. It's perfectly smooth.