Shattered Union impressions?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Turtle

Shattered Union impressions?

Post by Turtle »

Anyone getting this on release day? I've been looking for a good turn based game for a while now and this could be it.

Anyone know if there's play by email for multi?
abr

Post by abr »

I'd also be interested in some impressions. Play is shipping the game since yesterday, but without a review, I'm not quite willing to take the plunge.

So please step forward, honored guinea pigs! ;)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

There's PBEM if I've read everything correctly.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Let's push this to page two so we can get some actual impressions...
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I preordered this one. I like PopTop, Panzer General, and Advance Wars plus the American civil war setting sounded pretty cool. I hope it's fun.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Is this really due out this week? Day-am. This is a game I have been pining for. Count me in for some PBEM.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hmm yeah, this snuck under my radar, but it looks pretty interesting. EB has it listed on their website as available, but does anyone know if it's in stores yet?

s
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like the setting. Ever wanted to bomb Texas? Well now you can! (eagerly waiting for impressions too!)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

plus the American civil war setting sounded pretty cool.
I'm assuming your lack of capital letters was intentional, rmorton, but just in case someone pops in without knowing about the game, it's not the American Civil War, it's a modern civil war in America (or really slightly in our future).
abr

Post by abr »

Sepiche wrote:Hmm yeah, this snuck under my radar, but it looks pretty interesting. EB has it listed on their website as available, but does anyone know if it's in stores yet?

s
At least for the UK, it apparently is ...
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

My copy is in transit for an afternoon delivery to my house, so I'm going to assume it will be in stores today. I order online now since EB and Gamestop have been very fickle about B&M PC game deliveries lately.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Bullwinkle wrote:
plus the American civil war setting sounded pretty cool.
I'm assuming your lack of capital letters was intentional, rmorton, but just in case someone pops in without knowing about the game, it's not the American Civil War, it's a modern civil war in America (or really slightly in our future).
Yeah, that was misleading of me. Thanks.

This ain't the Civil War:

Gizah

Post by Gizah »

Wow. Tanks are a lot bigger in the near future.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Gizah wrote:Wow. Tanks are a lot bigger in the near future.
They know Godzooky is getting older.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The Wargamer wrote a preview posted yesterday if anyone wants some background on the game
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

I got it at lunch, but it sits in my car unopened for now.

I will give some quick impressions after playing tonight.

I can tell you that the box was on the light side and the cost was 29 buck-a-roos for the pc version. (xbox version was 39 I think).

LD
Patiently waiting for Homeworld 3
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Picked it up at the local EB over lunch. Kind of surprised me, but the price tag on this one is only $30. If you're on the fence I'd say go for it based on price alone.

Game has 2 discs and a thin manual. Nothing special there, but I wasn't expecting much. I'll give some more impressions tomorrow most likely.

Manual doesn't have anything in it about PBEM, but I'll know for sure tonight.

s
dfs

Post by dfs »

If you're on the fence I'd say go for it based on price alone.
You think the price will go up?

You think at some unspecified time in the future they will patch the game to make it worse than it is now?

Seriously...Why buy now? I mean...I like Phil and all that. He seems like a good guy, but he isn't there anymore and the games they've made are games that I feel I should have liked, but I've never found them really engaging. I don't mean to pee in anybodies cheerios or anything, but...Why buy now?

Because it looks a lot like Panzer General? ....Funny thing about that is that ...after the first one I didn't really like those games either. They never were able to catch that lightning in a bottle feel the first one had.

I hope it's a great game, and that sometime in the next 12 months I pick it up and love every minute of it, but....I'll let somebody else do the reviewing/debugging.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

dfs wrote:
If you're on the fence I'd say go for it based on price alone.
You think the price will go up?

You think at some unspecified time in the future they will patch the game to make it worse than it is now?

Seriously...Why buy now? I mean...I like Phil and all that. He seems like a good guy, but he isn't there anymore and the games they've made are games that I feel I should have liked, but I've never found them really engaging. I don't mean to pee in anybodies cheerios or anything, but...Why buy now?

Because it looks a lot like Panzer General? ....Funny thing about that is that ...after the first one I didn't really like those games either. They never were able to catch that lightning in a bottle feel the first one had.

I hope it's a great game, and that sometime in the next 12 months I pick it up and love every minute of it, but....I'll let somebody else do the reviewing/debugging.
Umm.... because I like the idea of companies releasing games at lower price points and purchasing said games is a way of showing support?

Get up on the wrong side of the bed there chief? :?

s
dfs

Post by dfs »

Get up on the wrong side of the bed there chief?
Yeah...It sounds like it doesn't it?

Me back hurts. Too much to do. Hey, you kids ! Get off my lawn.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

dfs wrote:
Get up on the wrong side of the bed there chief?
Yeah...It sounds like it doesn't it?

Me back hurts. Too much to do. Hey, you kids ! Get off my lawn.
No worries mate. Back pain gives you a free pass in my book.

;)

s
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Sepiche wrote:Umm.... because I like the idea of companies releasing games at lower price points and purchasing said games is a way of showing support?

s
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'll admit, I'm always confused at people who express a desire to "support" the game industry, as if it is some warm and fuzzy creature just dying to be loved.

It's a corporation, out to make cash. The sole question should be whether it is worth $30, or whether it makes more sense to wait for it to drop in price. The latter statement is dependent in part about how quickly you think it will drop, etc. His statement seemed perfectly reasonable.

Whenever I buy something for $50 (or $30) that does not turn out to be popular, such that the price drops to $10 in a couple of months, I never think, "Oh, I'm so happy, I supported the gaming industry." I think I'm an idiot for not having some patience and getting a better deal.

Your milage may very, I just don't think that other people expressing the same opinion means they are grumpy.
Velvet Elvis

Post by Velvet Elvis »

In this case I would look at it as supporting the part of the game industry that takes a gamble by releasing a turn-based game.

If enough people buy it, somebody might make another one.
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Velvet Elvis wrote:In this case I would look at it as supporting the part of the game industry that takes a gamble by releasing a turn-based game.

If enough people buy it, somebody might make another one.
I agree with that to an extent, but only to the extent that I am genuinely interested in that turn based game (which by extension means that I think it is probably worth $30). But I assume that if the game is good enough, it will hold its price point for awhile, and I will not be able to pick it up cheaply, and will buy it early. If the game does not look that interesting, I will not buy it just because it is turned based and I hope they will hit the target next time.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

SlyFrog wrote:
Sepiche wrote:Umm.... because I like the idea of companies releasing games at lower price points and purchasing said games is a way of showing support?

s
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'll admit, I'm always confused at people who express a desire to "support" the game industry, as if it is some warm and fuzzy creature just dying to be loved.

It's a corporation, out to make cash. The sole question should be whether it is worth $30, or whether it makes more sense to wait for it to drop in price. The latter statement is dependent in part about how quickly you think it will drop, etc. His statement seemed perfectly reasonable.

Whenever I buy something for $50 (or $30) that does not turn out to be popular, such that the price drops to $10 in a couple of months, I never think, "Oh, I'm so happy, I supported the gaming industry." I think I'm an idiot for not having some patience and getting a better deal.

Your milage may very, I just don't think that other people expressing the same opinion means they are grumpy.
Well if that's your take on it, that's fine. Personally, I use the only voice I have when companies do things I like or don't like, and that's by purchasing or not purchasing their products. Admitedly it's not much of a voice by itself, but it has worked well for generations past, and thus far our economy is still running.

If I sounded dismissive in my post it's only because I made what I felt was an off handed comment indicating my delight that a new game was being released at $30 instead of the usual $50 and was greeted with what I viewed was an unwarrented attack. I responded to it, as I have your post, but I would prefer to not derail this thread any further.

s
Queequeg

Post by Queequeg »

Just an FYI for those thinking that Phil Steinmeyer was involved in this game - Phil left Poptop almost a year ago.

Edit : Bah! Nevermind - I see somebody mentioned this above.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Eagerly awaiting the impressions on this one. I hit a local EBgames today looking for it and didn't see it on the shelf, so decided, instead of impulse shopping, to actually wait for some positive buzz before I pick it up.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Please to be having impressions.
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

Very brief:

1) Multiplayer options listed are LAN, Internet, Hot Seat.

2) No support for my native resolution of 1280x1024, which really bites. But there is one widescreen support (I think) res. supported. It was some wierd number.

3) Three tutorials that are more like instruction videos. Campaign, Unit Stats, and Beginning Combat (or something like that). Pretty basic, but they convey enough information to play.

4) Units are divided into classes, then within the classes you get a few choices. One example is Infantry Class with choices of Engineer, Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Commandos, etc...

5) Unit Costs seem to be well balanced. Heavy Armor > Medium Armor > Light Armor > Infantry. Etc, etc...

6) Units have quite a few stats. Attack rating vs. Infantry, Armor, Air. Range. Spot distance. Defense, etc...

7) Skirmish setup is pretty basic. Choose sides (2 only), choose map, choose starting money to pick your units, choose attacker/defender, choose AI difficulty (5 levels I think). I was expecting more here, but it's functional.

8) If you free the camera, you can zoom in and out alot, as well as change the pitch from top-down to almost horizontal. Maps are real-US locations. Objectives on the Colorado map are places like Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, etc...

9) Political Reputation is a very cool concept. Depending on where you fall in the "scale" will depend on your special powers you can call in during the encounter. If you are a more "defensive" player, your scale will slide that way, and you will be given powers that tend to be more defensive in nature. Same goes the other way, regarding offensive powers.

10) Graphics are fine. Animations are fine. Sounds are fine. Could be worse, could be better.

11) Repair units between encounters is a cool option. Much cheaper than buying new ones. Units can gain experience during battles, although I haven't seen it yet. Ups the stats apparently.

12) Feels like a tactical type board game to me. I like it so far. Remember the game M.A.X. ? - Sort of reminds me of that, although I haven't played that game in a loooonnnnggggg time. It's certainly future, but very near future, so you will reckognize nearly all units.

I haven't played very much at all, so the chances of me answering questions are slim, but feel free to ask.

LD
tgb

Post by tgb »

Looks like People's General to me. Am I wrong? For $30, I'll pick it up eventually, but Diplomacy will hold me until Civ IV next week, and between that and The Movies I can't see myself devoting any time to it right now. Maybe after the first, during the "down" season.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

I would say an updated People's General isn't too far of a stretch.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Lockdown wrote:I would say an updated People's General isn't too far of a stretch.
And that wouldn't be a bad game at all if true - I loved People's General - it was a very underrated game.
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

Played a bit more. I'm not too sure just how "deep" the game is. I need to dig some more, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear people say it is not really different enough from anything out there already (minus the pretty animations and the special powers thing). One of the things I really liked about M.A.X. and Fantasy General was the ability to "upgrade" units before an encounter. I'm not seeing any of that in this game... not that I should have expected to see it mind you... but once you taste that customization thing, it kind of sucks not having it. How sad am I that every time I play a game like this, I think about Missionforce Cyberstorm and remember what was a truly great Turn-Based-Strategy (Tactical) game... :? Oh well. I'll dig in deeper later in the week.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Would comparing this to Advanced Wars be far off the mark? At least the tactical decision-making aspect?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lockdown wrote:I think about Missionforce Cyberstorm and remember what was a truly great Turn-Based-Strategy (Tactical) game... :?
god, i loved that game. lost many, many hours to it....
He won. Period.
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

No plans for a Demo?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Incendiary Lemon wrote:No plans for a Demo?
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

hepcat wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I think about Missionforce Cyberstorm and remember what was a truly great Turn-Based-Strategy (Tactical) game... :?
god, i loved that game. lost many, many hours to it....
Indeed, MF:C is one of those games that always has a place on my hard drive. I even enjoyed the sequel. :)
abr

Post by abr »

A "few" questions:

1. How is the strategic part of the game, i.e. what kind of decisions can you make?

2. Are you only moving troops around or can you also improve your territories?

3. How do you aquire new units? Do you simply buy them or do you need certain resources?

4. Does the strategic part do a good job of joining the battles together?

5. I understand that in the tactical battles, your goal is to capture a number of cities. What happens if you fail to capture all of them within the set turn limit? Does the attack fail as a whole or can you continue the attack from the current situation in the next (strategic) turn?

6. Are there any other goals besides capturing cities and destroying enemy units in the tactical battles?

7. Is there diplomacy?

8. How good is the AI at handling strategic decisions/tactical battles/diplomacy?

9. Finally, is the game fun? :) Is there something you don't like?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to take a shot at answering these questions! :)
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

abroctopus wrote:A "few" questions:

1. How is the strategic part of the game, i.e. what kind of decisions can you make? Not many from what I remember. Start turn. Watch AI try to attack different "states". Either it changes color or it doesn't, letting you know if the attacker or defender won. Then you pick a "state" and attack it. Goes into tactical mode. Pretty damn basic from the little I played.

2. Are you only moving troops around or can you also improve your territories? You aren't really moving units around at all from what I can tell on the strategic map. It's not like Risk. You have a standing army and you choose which pieces to bring into an encounter/skirmish.

3. How do you aquire new units? Do you simply buy them or do you need certain resources? You simply buy them. Or you aquire them from the tactical map in certain situations.

4. Does the strategic part do a good job of joining the battles together? I am not deep enough in to answer this yet. Sorry.

5. I understand that in the tactical battles, your goal is to capture a number of cities. What happens if you fail to capture all of them within the set turn limit? Does the attack fail as a whole or can you continue the attack from the current situation in the next (strategic) turn? I don't know. My guess is the attack is considered a failure and you have to try again from scratch. But that is a guess only.

6. Are there any other goals besides capturing cities and destroying enemy units in the tactical battles? Not significantly. There are special tiles in specific areas that do grant overall bonuses. Think of RoN. If an area has an airfield and you take that "state" - the cost of your air units will go down. Stuff like that.

7. Is there diplomacy? No idea. I don't remember seeing it though.

8. How good is the AI at handling strategic decisions/tactical battles/diplomacy? Haven't played near long enough to make any type of determination on this, sorry.

9. Finally, is the game fun? :) Is there something you don't like? There is alot I don't like. But the game is fun for what it seems to be. Too early to make any type of concrete decisions yet. It really reminds me of a tactical boardgame type thing with a superficial campaign thrown in to string some objectives together. But it could be much more than that, and I just haven't gotten near far along enough into it to tell.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to take a shot at answering these questions! :)

You are welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.