Want to play an Xbox 360 TODAY??

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hetz

Want to play an Xbox 360 TODAY??

Post by Hetz »

Head out to your local Wal-Mart. Reports have been coming in all day that Wal-Mart has set out their XBox 360 demo units!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hello?

anyone home?

(shrugs shoulders and leaves room)
He won. Period.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

I checked my local Wal-Mart yesterday (Norwalk, CT). No joy.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Haven't had the chance to check my local Wal-Mart yet, hoping to do so soon.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Whats the point? They will end up being broken in 30 minutes anyway. They would be better served just giving them away for a publicity stunt.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

blkdog7

Post by blkdog7 »

I played the 360 for about 45 minutes at a Wal-Mart kiosk.

I posted my impressions here:

http://zerocommit.com/mb/thread.php?t=4813
My Podcast - Video Game Outsiders
Zero Commit - Mature Xbox Live Gaming Community
Currently Playing: Xbox 360: SC:DA, TW07, DS: Clubhouse Games
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

A bit of an aside, but I wish they would stop putting these things out in stores. I have never seen one played by someone who looks like they are evaluating an actual purchase. I have seen them played, seemingly for hours on end, by homeless people and street thugs who tend to glower at anyone who comes near the display case looking to buy an actual game while they are playing in front of it.
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

SlyFrog wrote:A bit of an aside, but I wish they would stop putting these things out in stores. I have never seen one played by someone who looks like they are evaluating an actual purchase. I have seen them played, seemingly for hours on end, by homeless people and street thugs who tend to glower at anyone who comes near the display case looking to buy an actual game while they are playing in front of it.
Where do you live that they allow homeless people into a place of business? In my town you wouldn't make it into the parking lot.
Ya srsly!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

SlyFrog wrote:A bit of an aside, but I wish they would stop putting these things out in stores. I have never seen one played by someone who looks like they are evaluating an actual purchase. I have seen them played, seemingly for hours on end, by homeless people and street thugs who tend to glower at anyone who comes near the display case looking to buy an actual game while they are playing in front of it.
Either that or 8-year-olds who are smacking the controller uncontrollably in an attempt to make the game "do something."

I remember when Donkey Kong Country came out. I played the demo system for about an hour one day. An employee had to tell me to let others play. Good times.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Eel Snave wrote:
Either that or 8-year-olds who are smacking the controller uncontrollably in an attempt to make the game "do something."

I remember when Donkey Kong Country came out. I played the demo system for about an hour one day. An employee had to tell me to let others play. Good times.
A whole hour??!!! The horrors Lee the horrors!! At the EB my workout partner manages kids come in there and play the display units sometimes for 4-6 hours until they physically make them leave the store. Some days they just turn them all off (which apparently they are not suppsoed to) to keep the crazy people out :)
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Ha! Good to know I'm not alone.

How could you play those for that long? Honestly! The demos aren't even that LONG.
Downwards Compatible
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

Just got back from Walmart and had a few minutes to play call of Duty 2 on the 360. The controller is very nice and I can't wait to get one for my pc. Thats my one positive comments. Beyond that... Well I found the graphics to be very underwhelming. Nothing that couldn't be done by a 2 year old pc. (and I mean top of the line 2 years ago, not budget two years ago) So yes, its better than any console now but it doesn't seem a generation above what consoles can do. However I must say the monitor connected to the 360 was pretty bad so it could be hiding some of the graphical wowness. Though the rather low frame rates at times weren't an artifact of the monitor. I couldn't really hear the game because it was rather noisey in the store.
Depward

Post by Depward »

Xbox 360 = next-gen v1.5
depward on the Playstation Network
Al

As in won't do HD

Post by Al »

I thought the problem was that they're not correctly set up?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Eel Snave wrote:Ha! Good to know I'm not alone.

How could you play those for that long? Honestly! The demos aren't even that LONG.
They foolishly put full games in their sometimes to get people to buy em.

Think Madden 06, etc.
Thin_J

Re: As in won't do HD

Post by Thin_J »

Al wrote:I thought the problem was that they're not correctly set up?
After seeing one in person, it's pretty freakin obvious it's running in 480i mode instead of the 720p it's supposed to run in.

It's a good possibility the monitors they have in the displays don't handle the interlaced signal all that well, and thusly they look like crap.

I mentioned it to the guy behind the Electronics counter, and he said he was pretty sure I was right but that he's not allowed to fiddle with it.
Battle.net: ThinJ.284
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I just saw one of these running Call of Duty in my local Walmart last night.

I'm a huge PC gamer...and big fan of military shooters. In other words -- I've played lots of them.

This thing looked better than any PC version of military shooter I have.... And I'm running an Alienware 3.4 ghz with 1 gig ram, and a top-end video card.

No jaggies. No stutter. Everything was bright, extremely detailed, and extremely crisp.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Booner

Post by Booner »

So I'm gathering that unless I'm willing to plop down a chunk 'o' change for an HDTV...my PC will still look better than the XB360.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rincewind wrote:
Eel Snave wrote:

A whole hour??!!! The horrors Lee the horrors!! At the EB my workout partner manages kids come in there and play the display units sometimes for 4-6 hours until they physically make them leave the store. Some days they just turn them all off (which apparently they are not suppsoed to) to keep the crazy people out :)
I recall scripture from the Acts of Gord.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Al

PPUs will be what puts PCs ahead of consoles

Post by Al »

Booner wrote:So I'm gathering that unless I'm willing to plop down a chunk 'o' change for an HDTV...my PC will still look better than the XB360.
Keep in mind that come 2009 you're going to have to anyway but as long as your PC can do better than interlaced 640x480, yeah.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: PPUs will be what puts PCs ahead of consoles

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Al wrote:
Booner wrote:So I'm gathering that unless I'm willing to plop down a chunk 'o' change for an HDTV...my PC will still look better than the XB360.
Keep in mind that come 2009 you're going to have to anyway but as long as your PC can do better than interlaced 640x480, yeah.
Why? Anyone with cable will still be able to use a regular TV and digital receivers will be available that can convert to NTSC. Not that I don't recommend HDTV emphatically, but don't let marketing fool you into dumping your old set if you don't want to.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Booner

Post by Booner »

When there are enough broadcasts in HD, I'll get one. DirecTV (which is already digital :wink: ) offers a few, but not nearly enough to justify spending $3000 ducks to upgrade from the set I have now.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Booner wrote:When there are enough broadcasts in HD, I'll get one. DirecTV (which is already digital :wink: ) offers a few, but not nearly enough to justify spending $3000 ducks to upgrade from the set I have now.
Once you see football in HD, you will never go back...my 56" DP HDTV was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I can't wait to see the 360 on it!
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Not so fast.

Wal-Mart pulls plug on 360 kiosks

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... 36388.html
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Kobra wrote:Not so fast.

Wal-Mart pulls plug on 360 kiosks

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... 36388.html
Do you ever give up?

Before anyone thinks there is a link between this and Kobra's unfounded belief in Xbox hardware changes, here is the money shot:
The reason, according to Microsoft, is due to the console causing interference with Wal-Mart's wireless "hand scanner" inventory system. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem as being "minor" and says a software solution is in the works to correct it.
So if you have inventory management hand scanners in your home, you are stuck with the PS3!
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

It sounds like I anger you? Please tell me this is true.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Kobra wrote:It sounds like I anger you? Please tell me this is true.
No, you bore me. Anger is reserved for those who can put together and communicate coherent thoughts.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

The interference sounds like a great feature to me. Now my cordless phone won't ring while I play my 360. MS is an innovator.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

The Preacher wrote:
No, you bore me. Anger is reserved for those who can put together and communicate coherent thoughts.
Could have fooled me with all of this extra attention. Either way, i'm enamored by it, keep up the good work.

Let us know how your Xbox360 works in conjunction with your wireless devices when it arrives in a few weeks. :lol:
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Kobra wrote:
The Preacher wrote:
Could have fooled me with all of this extra attention. Either way, i'm enamored by it, keep up the good work.
The only thing that is more boring is my job. I work with what I got.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Okay, kids, I'm going to call your parents, and they're not going to be happy. Now behave yourselves or NO ICE CREAM.
Downwards Compatible
Al

If MS or Sony wins then the consumer looses

Post by Al »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:The interference sounds like a great feature to me. Now my cordless phone won't ring while I play my 360. MS is an innovator.
The problem is almost undoubtedly Wal-Mart's scanners that didn't have to go through any kind of QA cycle since they're not retail devices. Of course, the fact that the 2.4GHz end of the spectrum is pretty saturated doesn't help either. But that's the fault of the FCC, Congress and the NAB not Microsoft's.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: If MS or Sony wins then the consumer looses

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Al wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:The interference sounds like a great feature to me. Now my cordless phone won't ring while I play my 360. MS is an innovator.
The problem is almost undoubtedly Wal-Mart's scanners that didn't have to go through any kind of QA cycle since they're not retail devices. Of course, the fact that the 2.4GHz end of the spectrum is pretty saturated doesn't help either. But that's the fault of the FCC, Congress and the NAB not Microsoft's.
Actually the scanners, since they're not retail, have a different set of FCC regulations they have to adhere to. Surely they go through QA.

This isn't really a big deal except for the deep-end anti-MS conspiracy theorists.

MYT
jblank

Post by jblank »

Kobra wrote:
The Preacher wrote:

Let us know how your Xbox360 works in conjunction with your wireless devices when it arrives in a few weeks. :lol:
Why wouldnt it? I have probably no fewer than 3 wireless devices operating in the 2.4ghz range on the lower level of my house and none interfere with each other. Why on Earth would the 360 be any different?

Ya know, you would get a lot more respect here if you would just admit your bias towards the system and your fanboyness to the Playstation side of things. Making up stories and wildly exagerating news reports only confirms what all of us know about you, so why not just admit it? You hate the XBOX and anything associated with it and thats a fact.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
Caine

Post by Caine »

well, not to actually get back on topic or anything, but in the spirit of the earlier posts i once played halo co-op with a stranger for 4 hours in an ebgames. of course, this was before the launch. the clerks were pretty cool about the whole thing though. even giving hints and such. it does get tiring to stand up that long though.
WRecently WRisen from the gwave.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I walked by an XBox 360 kiosk in a best buy today. Something was clearly wrong with the display - it looked like it was getting interference. Horizotal rainbow lines would occasionally flicker accross and scroll up briefly. I don't have any idea what would have been causing it, but it didn't seem related to the game.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Kobra wrote:
The Preacher wrote:

Alright Kobra.... You really do sound like you are trolling with fanboism now.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.