[Rome: Total War]Post your game stories here!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SuperHiro

[Rome: Total War]Post your game stories here!

Post by SuperHiro »

HEY! Let's not forget about that OTHER Game of the Year candidate.

That said, I love reading AAR reports on this. So CHOP CHOP!
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Candidate my ass. It wipes the floor with HL2 (which is a very good game in its own right).

Good stories? Dunno. There are many but they have sort of bled together for me. The time I had to fight a bunch of Naked Fanatics across a bridge, and goaded them into charging me -- after which one of their units charged right over the riverbank and drowned! -- was pretty cool.

And if there is an experience in gaming more blissful than watching slow hoplites marching up a hill getting blasted by wave after wave of archer fire, I don't know what it is.

I had a great battle playing as Egyptians. A tough defensive battle where I was outnumbered. Turned into a bloodbath, my units routing all over the place, me desperately trying to hold some kind of infantry line. My general died making the battle much tougher. Finally it amounted to a couple units of Nile Spearmen pathetically holding the center. The opponent was equally depleted; he kept trying to charge my Spearmen with his heavy cav general. All hinged on this final melee -- spears vs. horses, I knew I had the edge.... but then one of my 2 Nile Spearmen units routed... I was worried... but then the enemy general is killed! Done deal.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

(paraphrase)

"Many of you will die! But those that live will drink to your memory!"

YEAAAAAAH!!!!!!! (much clanking of spear and sword against shields)

Bit a while since I finished my first campaign. I should fire it up again but there are so many games...so many games.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
me

Post by me »

Spartan Hoplites rock, but not when you face them.

It was supposed to be an easy battle. My Egyptian army full of archers, chariots, chariot archers and other assorted infantry vs. one enemy captain and his reinforcements of 2 groups of Spartan Hoplites.

The first time they destroyed me.

I made the mistake of sending my chariots and chariot archers to destroy the reinforcing Hoplites while I sent the rest of my force after the lone captain.

Unfortunately, the Hoplites skillfully decimated all my chariots and kept on marching through the hail of arrows. I lost the battle and my chariots to two groups of Hoplites and one captain of infantry. Humiliating.

You can call me a cheater and a spoiler of games, but I don't like to let things like this stand. A reload was in order.

This time I would do it right. All my forces vs. the damnable Spartans. All my archers lined up as close as they could get to where the Spartans would appear. Appear they did, and to my horror hails of arrows at close range made barely a dent in their lines. As the Spartans closed within range of my archers, one thought entered my mind.

Fire. Glorious flaming arrows entered the Spartan masses at point blank range. Now the Spartans were starting to take losses. Still, they were at close range and engaged my archers. My archers backed off a short distance and the Spartans made their critical error. They followed.

I immediately began moving the other archer units around the sides and the Spartans soon found themselves marching down the center of a giant U, with flaming arrors hitting them from all sides. It was too much for even Spartans to handle and they fled.

Victory has never tasted so good. :twisted: