Everquest Hardware Requirements

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kael

Everquest Hardware Requirements

Post by Kael »

Im getting a lot of slowness when I play and I have the grapgics set 2 steps below "Balanced" to be able to get a decent framerate. My computer is:

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
1 GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional
Latest drivers, directX, etc
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra with 128 MB of RAM (4x AGP)

Is this machine just to slow for the game? Or is their a slow component dragging me down?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Odd. You have my system, with a slightly slower processor, and I'm running the graphics on high with decent framerates.

Must be the shoes.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Are you running on High Performance? Thats what I was, thinking I was on "High" too but that is actually a step below "Balanced".

If so switch up to "Balanced", notice how cool it looks and then come PC shopping with me.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

I cranked it past balanced to very high quality. Nice graphics!
Kael

Post by Kael »

Yeah but is it stuttering in busy areas now?
tals

Post by tals »

I posted a thread here

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2182

Which I had hoped we'd get some good comparisons. I think unless you run something like Fraps its all very subjective. One persons acceptance may not be true for someone else.

My own thoughts after testing this out over the last few days is set the performance to extreme high performance (yep you heard right :) ). Then face a building from a little way and turn up complex shader distance till you see it make a difference. You'll notice quite low down it kicks in and then makes no further difference. I would set textures to medium. I'd have the full works for water as they are only around when you can see them so worth the hit. Flora for those of us working on fps are overrated. As I understand it shadows is a total no no at the moment. You'd be surprised that really a few tweaks and you can increase your performance with very little eye candy trade off.

Other items:
Particle level detail bias in the middle
Max particle size in the middle
spell particles close to me in the middle
light quality high
max player torchs 2
low detail characters I have at about 40
high detail characters at around 3. If I see more then i'll move this one up but generally you focus on one or two people.

In all of this I would be running fraps in a populated town, do some turns see the effect. I get around 20 fps, hitting a populated area moves it down to 10 out of a populated area and it moves up. In my room for example i'm seeing plus 40.

Tals