WoW - Beta is Over Screenshot Extravaganza [56k beware]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

fancydirt

WoW - Beta is Over Screenshot Extravaganza [56k beware]

Post by fancydirt »

And to end it off they went nuts with sending mobs at us. All the major cities on all the servers were getting uber mobs spawned and let loose. In some cases they were being controlled by Blizz emplyees. Everything from the rulers of the horde and alliance to instance bosses to high level raid bosses to chickens that could kill lvl 60 people in two hits and enlarged killer squirrels and chickens (the uber chickens were the normal small size). It made for an insane last few hours.

Once I sort through the screenshots I'll post them here.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Rats.

I was busy and missed the last few hours of that. I just tried to log in and got the message that the beta is over. I was kinda hoping that the beta would last through this weekend.

So, who's going to buy this as soon as it's out? I really haven't decided for sure. If I get it it will give me something to do over my 4 day Thanksgiving break.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

I'm going to buy the CE on release but am not going to play right away. Probably wait until near xmas. I mostly just want the art book and stuff it comes with, and the special pets for my characters if/when I start playing. With all the time I spent playing the beta I'll be paying about 12 cents per hour for the time I've already spent in the game.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

I managed to get on Test 1 last night after they got the Eastern servers up and running and didn't see anything happening in Undercity, Orgrimmar, or Thunder Bluff. I was looking forward to fighting some of the big bosses, but no one ever showed up (I waited about an hour) so I logged off.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Temporary thread hijack:

We're off to outer space,
We're leaving Mother Earth
To save the Human race.
Our Star Blazers!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Curse you, Gedd :shock:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I assume that I won't need to erase the beta download (which took many, many hours) if I plan on playing the game? I still don't know if I'm going to buy it, but it might be worth saving the game on my hard-drive just in case.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I assume that I won't need to erase the beta download (which took many, many hours) if I plan on playing the game? I still don't know if I'm going to buy it, but it might be worth saving the game on my hard-drive just in case.
Correct. The final open beta install is the version that people who buy the game and install off CDs with have to get a patch to be at.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

THere was a post on the now-defunct official forums stating the beta client would work at release - assuming one has purchased a copy of the game and enters the CD-key.

Not that I have any idea how to enter a CD-key into the client - and bringing up the client now merely gives a "we're down - see you on the 23rd!" message. :cry:
Doctor Hillbilly

Post by Doctor Hillbilly »

Correct. You can play at launch with your beta client and a CD key.

I was on the original PvP server last night, and it was a riot. The entrance to IF was littered with corpses, with a huge infernal killing everyone that came through the door and high level mobs riding around the city.

In Stormwind, the GMs lured everyone into the cathedral and then spawned a flood of El Pollo Grandes. It was pretty fun, in a "your puny hunter has no chance of even injuring these monsters" kinda way. It was suprisingly playable, given that there were probably 200 or so toons in the cathedral fighting the mobs.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

And now for some screenshots.

This is the first wave of spawns and was what most of us saw when coming to Org. There's more stuff elsewhere in the city, but these were the main ones and it took us awhile to organize a high level raid group and kill them.

Here's me getting killed by an uber chicken.

El Pollo Grande - The Black Chicken of Death. They were easy to kill but made for a funny mob to fight.

After we killed one, they sent two more of these...

This was before the real fighting on our part took place and we were just trying to get around and take screenshots. I almost escaped this guy and only died because I took a small fall when jumping down from a ledge.

We kept asking for it, and they finally gave it to us. Onyxia herself. In Org.

Spawned briefly, if only to tease us, was Ragnaros. The raid boss of raid bosses. This was the only (non-silly) thing they sent us that I hadn't seen in the real game.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Here are a few of the mobs that were in org that I didn't get screenshots of...

The Beast is a mini boss from Upper Blackrock Spire. This is another one that they sent two of after we killed one.

General Drakkisath is the main boss of Upper Blackrock Spire. A quick note, UBRS was the hardest istance in the game for beta to gain access to and was the hardest one to be completed (excluding Onyxia, who no one ever came close to killing). It's the only instance that was not doable with a five person party. Yet. :)

For some context on Onyxia, here she is at home.

Coming to kill us..

And here's the group that she destroyed in minutes:

Guess you can't always win with numbers. :)
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

You may note a yellow number in the lower mid section of my display on some of the sreens above. That's the frame rate I was getting during much of the event. Rough going.
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Those screenshots are absolutely awesome! Thanks for posting them. Can't wait for retail!
CSL

Post by CSL »

Images aren't working.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

CSL wrote:Images aren't working.
ditto.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yes, they are.

Ale
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I sees 'em. :idea:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Obviously not for everyone.

I have a SP2 XP home install and the most recent IE (Version 6 I think).

Why would I not be able to see them?
monkyskunk

Post by monkyskunk »

here's the reason why we aint seeing 'em:

"Sorry, the site you requested is temporarily unavailable.

Due to high volume of traffic, this site is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"

:(
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Exodor wrote:THere was a post on the now-defunct official forums stating the beta client would work at release - assuming one has purchased a copy of the game and enters the CD-key.

Not that I have any idea how to enter a CD-key into the client - and bringing up the client now merely gives a "we're down - see you on the 23rd!" message. :cry:
If it's like other games, you'll enter the key to register your account with Blizzard; once that's done, you can use that account to log into the game.

Did they decide to let people keep beta characters?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I can't see them! *SOB*

I want giant chickens!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Ned Flanders

Post by Ned Flanders »

Someone had the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch but we couldn't find the Holy Book of Armaments to figure out how to use it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Faldarian wrote:

Did they decide to let people keep beta characters?
They decided to not let people keep them.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

I think Homestead only allows like 100 MB transfer a day or something. 1 MB of screenshots times however many people tried to view the thread = not everyone getting to see them today. They'll be back tomorrow. No biggie.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Infernal fight

A shot I took of the minor infernals that showed up during a last minute raid against the horde. I managed to survive one hit, then quickly died. :lol:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can see them today.