Sims2 Lighting Mod *Now with Drama* (56K Warning Not Needed)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chesspieceface

Sims2 Lighting Mod *Now with Drama* (56K Warning Not Needed)

Post by Chesspieceface »

Well in my 'spare' time I've been secretly indulging in the Sims2 and the expansions. I've maybe downloaded 4gigs or so of custom content and seen some really amazing stuff. But yesterday a guy called GunMod came out with a mod to the games lighting settings that is really very impressive. You can find it at MTS2 here: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t ... ge=1&pp=25

There has been some very impressive progress made in modding this game with very little help or support from Maxis. But as simple as this mod is (just a single text file) it really has a huge impact. It enables proper light bleeding, specular highlighting and proper light bounce and refraction from objects and really makes the game look great.

Check It.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I don't have the game, but I'd like to see comparison shots just for kicks.
I'm special!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Wow.

I have *zero* time to be playing Sims2...but I gotta check this out.

I'll post before/afters, too.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Crap, I can't download the rar file. :(
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

...and of course, Modthesims2.com is having the server issues that are typical of it.

Can't download the mod at all right now, the dl server is down at MTS. Oh well.

EDIT: nevermind. site is running slow, but I got it.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I think everyone and their granny is trying to get this mod. :)

Very exciting if it works out but I'm wondering how "realistic" lighting will look on the essentially cartoonish and brightly colored design. Can't wait to see it.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

It looks good, very good. I'm adam858 in that attached forum thread by the way. Also while its true that the default graphics are quite cartoony, when you have all custom skin tones, custom clothes, custom hair, custom furniture... It takes on quite a different appearance altogether. I've been really enjoying this venture in far more than I did back at release before anyone could mod at all.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The lighting mod does indeed look very good.

Unfortunately, I can only get thumbnail-sized screen shots, rather than larger ones that would really show this off. But get it going and then go take a walk around Mortimer Goth's little crash pad....very, very impressive work.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Why are you only getting tiny screenies? there is a setting for that in game options but even on small they are bigger than the thumbnails.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Ok I'm not doing 'before and after' because with 4 gigs of content the game take a long time to get running and I'm not really planning to uninstall this mod but here are some examples:

First just how not cartoony this starts looking with all this stuff going on:

Next, Look what happens when I add this lamp to the frame. Notice the occlusion of light how one side of a face can be lit and not the other:

With Lamp:

Next, See the light seeping up from downstairs?

And finally light and shadow at Night:

edit: Couldn't resist one more :) There is now sunset and sunrise:

So before you ask "Didnt it do that before?" No, no it didn't. Amazing change in the game engine for some careful tweaks to a text file. Very Cool.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

killer screenies!

I love playing with lighting in games so I can't wait to try this. Lighting my houses in MW was always my favorite part of the process.

Just for the record - I like the original cartoony look. Cartoony isn't a bad thing necessarily.

PS - that boy needs some chest hair. ;)

vizionblind

Post by vizionblind »

this mod probably just prevented another expansion for the sims "new lighting expansion!" heh
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

vizionblind wrote:this mod probably just prevented another expansion for the sims "new lighting expansion!" heh
Actually, both expansions for the game so far have made significant changes to the core game that, whether a player likes them or not, have created almost entirely new sub-game systems.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Yeah its most likely they left this stuff disabled for lack of testing resources or because it only works on vidcards that support pixel shaders and tehy didnt want to explain that to the lowest common denominator. They may have planned to never formally enable this.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

56k Warning? Those are tiny, low res pictures.
warning

Post by warning »

Kobra wrote:56k Warning? Those are tiny, low res pictures.

What a turdball.
Who exactly is the turdball you are referring to? Demosthenes?
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Kobra wrote:56k Warning? Those are tiny, low res pictures.

What a turdball.
Thank you for yet another dazzling contribution. Wouldn't it be a shame if you focused on the effort I made to bring this information to the community or the time I took to make and post those screenies?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel sorry for your children, I hope you're paying the psychiatrist bills.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Dude..."turdball"?
For posting a 56k warning?

:roll:

Thanks for the reports everyone...the play is under review.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think Kobra meant a tarball to compress and archive the pics. The Kobra I know would never complain or insult someone.

Nice pics. I've managed to avoid anything Sims related thus far but sure looks tempting.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kobra,

What's your problem here? So the pics didn't come through as expected and Demosthenes fixed it so they now appear quite nicely. There was no need to call him a turdball and I'm asking you to edit that out from your post.

Thank you,

$iljanus
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm confused. The pics look the same as they did yesterday. Did something happen to them earlier today? It was my understanding that the "turdball" insult was hurled for the pics as they currently appear.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

IceBear wrote:I'm confused. The pics look the same as they did yesterday. Did something happen to them earlier today?
No change.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I didn't think so. I just wanted to make sure $iljanus understood that it wasn't like Kobra came in and saw tiny pics that upset him or something like that.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Demosthenes wrote:
IceBear wrote:I'm confused. The pics look the same as they did yesterday. Did something happen to them earlier today?
No change.
I didn't see the pics yesterday. If they were the same as they are today then I don't see the problem with them at all and that turdball comment better come out sooner rather than later.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I don't see any point in having it removed, I've certainly been called far worse. Its not the turn of phrase thats at issue, its the attitude IMO.
warning

Post by warning »

Demosthenes wrote:I don't see any point in having it removed, I've certainly been called far worse. Its not the turn of phrase thats at issue, its the attitude IMO.
Maybe remove the offending poster and not his comment?
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

My problem is, Demosthenes has never used restraint in any of my threads, and in fact is downright insulting at times - a little of his own medince headed his way. The comment he posted;
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel sorry for your children, I hope you're paying the psychiatrist bills.
Sorry but that is *WAY* more offensive than "Turdball".
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

Huh. :roll:
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'm in agreeance on the insultive.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

IceBear wrote:I'm confused. The pics look the same as they did yesterday. Did something happen to them earlier today? It was my understanding that the "turdball" insult was hurled for the pics as they currently appear.
Well, they had and removed the Starforce copy protection from the pics, so Cobra was feeling particulary cranky.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Kobra wrote:My problem is, Demosthenes has never used restraint in any of my threads, and in fact is downright insulting at times - a little of his own medince headed his way. The comment he posted;
Charming that you play all innocent here and then send me an antagonizing PM. Very believable.

My statement is not namecalling nor a poorly thought out slur. It is my true sentiment regarding your daily behavior in this forum and the fact that you claim to be raising children. I've had my own share of mental health bills from overly critical and unsupportive parents and they both have a great deal more sense and generosity of spirit than you display.

I'd really like to find examples of my showing no restraint in 'your threads'. I find that notion highly unlikely, and tend to think that you do not see your own actions very clearly or understand the responses that you are eliciting from others. At the same time however there is a little part of me that thinks you are just playing dumb and are fully aware of the responses you are eliciting and somehow derive pleasure from it. Especially after the PM you sent in tandem with your above post.

Your PM has been sent to the forum moderators. I would not appreciate any private harrasment from you again. If you have anything else childish and antagonizing to say by all means show yourself.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Kobra wrote:My problem is, Demosthenes has never used restraint in any of my threads, and in fact is downright insulting at times - a little of his own medince headed his way. The comment he posted;
For someone who likes to dish it out, you're sure being a pussy about things.
mathfed

Post by mathfed »

Did no one else notice how funny Warnings' avatar is? I'm still chuckling.

Also, I downloaded the lighting mod last night and installed it. Haven't got to play with it much yet. The game seems to run slower than it did before, but that could just be my imagination. I really need to get the WoW monkey off my back so I can play some other games. FEAR and Sims Nightlife are newly installed on my machine, but I haven't played much of either of them.

I gotta get my warlock to 40 for her mount. She's 39 now. Must level....must level........level...........<collapse>.
Sonofa!
morlac

Post by morlac »

So you insulted him because you knew he was going to insult you later in the thread? Is that like the US nuclear policy?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Kobra is the Time Master, didn't you know that? He's done stuff like that a few times. Though I loved the response someone gave him in a Black & White 2 thread - let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it - it was Bullwinkle
Quote:
Why'd you bother buying it then? Just wait for the patch, and at the same time, pay less for it.

Hey, great idea, Eye-rollie McRollerson. Why don't you go back in time and post that message before I buy the game?
So I think he took Bullwinkle's suggestion literally and built himself a time machine. It might explain some stuff :)
warning

Post by warning »

Kobra is John Titor?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Oh god... don't bring him up again. People will updating their sigs to temporal impossibilities by the time we get to yesterday!

- Ash
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I just made a typo, but I will correct it one year from today.

Last edited by wonderpug on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Good job :)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

warning wrote:Kobra is John Titor?
Day-yum! That's a scary website!