Red Faction II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Red Faction II

Post by hitbyambulance »

this game sorta sucks. that's too bad...
KingB

Post by KingB »

I hope you didnt pay more than $10 for it. :shock:
Currently thinking of something clever.........
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I thought it had some fun aspects to it. Multiplayer with the rail gun is a lot of fun. You can see through walls and kill people without them even knowing it. It's quite fun for lan parties, actually. They're running around with no one in sight and all of the sudden, they're dead. It's always fun to hear someone yell out, "Damn rail gun. I hate thos f&*&$n things," right after you hit them.

Otherwise, the game is pretty, meh.
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

The first Red Faction was much better.

If you are looking for a good futuristic, cheap shooter, look at Devastation. It's only about 5 bucks but a pretty decent game on all fronts.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

The game would have been a whole lot better if there was a quicksave, even difficulty, and skippable cutscenes. The ending is horrible in this regard. The last boss is very tough which is a huge leap in difficulty over the rest of the game. What is worse is that there is a long 4 minute or so cutscene before you fight him with no save after the scene. So if you die (which will be more than likely multiple times), you have to watch the scene over and over.
Riker's Beard

Post by Riker's Beard »

I thought Red Faction was a tremendously fun FPS that I look back on with great fondness.

I got Red Faction 2 THE DAY it was released for PC.

I brought it back the next day.

When you look up "crappy console port" in the dictionary, there is a picture of Red Faction 2.

YMMV.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

luckily i got it as a PayItForward freebie... the first one had some pretty fun moments - this one, not so much so. consolitis is *all over this title, to the point where you wonder why they even ported this.

it doesn't really play or feel like like a PC FPS... levels are really linear, there's not much room to maneuver around and all on-screen stuff is 'console-sized" (read: huge). the menu interface SUCKS (and is buggy) and there's no quicksave or multi-player (which even the PS2 version had - here you can only play against AI bots). the voice-acting is mostly not good, the plot is boring, cut-scenes are unskippable, and it's not even much fun.

hard to believe the team that came up with Freespace spewed this product out. luckily, i read that it's only about 4-7 hours in length, so i'm going to try to finish this quickly. not looking forward to that final boss battle, now!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Red Faction was originally intended to be Descent 4, but Interplay's shenanigans with Summoner led to a buy-out deal with THQ. The shift in Red Faction towards a console FPS came from the THQ relationship, after some success with getting Summoner out as the early PS2 RPG.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon