Civillization IV Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Uh, question. When do Ebgames/Gamestop stores usually open?

9:00 or 10:00 am??

I'm guessing 10:00 am but if it's 9:00 im stopping at one to try and pre-order on my way to work.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I agree that it was pretty silly to move the thread one day before release. All that does is force discussions like this and completely kill the thread. Might as well just lock it.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zurai wrote:I agree that it was pretty silly to move the thread one day before release. All that does is force discussions like this and completely kill the thread. Might as well just lock it.
Anyone else find this post on page four lamenting the death of a thread just a wee bit ironic?

:P

I'm hoping Circuit City gets copies in tomorrow, but if not I already have an excuse ready for a trip to Fry's. 8)
revenantsoul

Post by revenantsoul »

Actually I always thought of the first 2 pages as very entertaining and informative as people would post who was going where to get what and at what price. I agree with the person who said it's like all of us standing in a line talking about something we all share as a real joy in our life. I can see the flip side to so maybe we should create a thread named "Shopping for XXX on release day post your experiences" or something like that.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Exodor wrote:
Zurai wrote:I agree that it was pretty silly to move the thread one day before release. All that does is force discussions like this and completely kill the thread. Might as well just lock it.
Anyone else find this post on page four lamenting the death of a thread just a wee bit ironic?
I didn't mean "kill" as in "no more posts", I meant "kill" as in "fatally derail".
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Since the thread was moved because it is about a game that hasn't been released... shouldn't we rename the thread since it's apparently not about the game? I waded through 4 pages of crap to try and find a single impression of Civ IV... unsuccessfully.
knob

Post by knob »

It does seem pretty silly to move the thread. It's probably the first impressions thread to get moved to Unreleased games (or Road to Gold) in the OO/GG history.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

too many negative vibes here.

LET THE POWER OF THE CRISTO BEGIN THE HEALING PROCESS!

He won. Period.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

hepcat wrote:too many negative vibes here.

LET THE POWER OF THE CRISTO BEGIN THE HEALING PROCESS!

I can feel it tingling!! :D
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Massena

Post by Massena »

Carefull, or I'll start posting the Monica Bellucci pics.
I gotcher healing process right here....
/insomniac
/shameless pad.
yossar

Post by yossar »

So how about those spearmen? I hear they can beat stealth bombers in this one.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Wee!

The beautiful words "In Transit" have now finally appeared on my package's tracking page. Now, to sleep! And to worry about the game again tomorrow. :P
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
onnel

Post by onnel »

revenantsoul wrote:Actually I always thought of the first 2 pages as very entertaining and informative as people would post who was going where to get what and at what price.
Actually, that all sounds exactly ON TOPIC for the Unreleased Games forum, doesn't it...at least until the game is released?

Onnel
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

knob wrote:It does seem pretty silly to move the thread. It's probably the first impressions thread to get moved to Unreleased games (or Road to Gold) in the OO/GG history.
Won't it be nice, though, when someone starts a PCGbT impressions thread and folks can read impressions on the first page?

Seems sillier to me to create an impressions thread a few days before a game is available.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
IkeVandergraaf

Post by IkeVandergraaf »

I always thought an elegant solution would be to title a thread where you don't have the game but want impressions, "Such-and-such-game Impressions?" and one where you have the game and are posting impressions "Such-and-such-game Impressions". This works for games that are brand spanking new as well as games that have been out for a while.

Also, there was always an exception to the rule of where to post for games that were on or past the ship date, but hadn't actually made it to stores as *somebody* almost always got the game a day earlier than everybody else through some fluke in the process.

Unfortunately, there will now have to be two "impressions" threads for this game, and a whole new page 2 to get to.
Compliment of the season to you!
Ike Vandergraaf
See An Inconvenient Truth.
XBox 360 Gamer Tag = IkeV
Lee

Post by Lee »

My only question would be then, why wasn't the Civ IGN review thread posted on Saturday also moved?

(I only ask because I am grumpy as hell today and waiting to go to work. :))
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
onnel

Post by onnel »

Should have been as well IMO. Though there seems to be a policy (unwritten?) that reviews of gold versions (as opposed to previews) go in the released games section. This leads to the inconsistency of there being posts on the same game in both forums. Annoying.

I personally find it even more annoying to come in to a 4 page thread entitled "impressions" and to not find a single impression or at least info on a truly released game. But this is all a matter of taste. :-)

Onnel
Lee wrote:My only question would be then, why wasn't the Civ IGN review thread posted on Saturday also moved?

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Unfortunately, there will now have to be two "impressions" threads for this game, and a whole new page 2 to get to.
Or, you just ignore threads that meander like that and go looking for the real meat. It'll be there, this I promise you.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Impressions:

The "In Transit" message my UPS tracking number unveils, while exciting, is a bit of a tease. I thought this was all Civ IV had up its sleeve at 9am, but it turns out that there's an easter egg of sorts: If I click 'View Package Progress,' it reveals that the installation disk has been as close/closer than 5 miles from my house for the past 3 hours.

Pros:
Civ IV is at most 5 miles away from me.
Man holding Civ IV knows where I live.
Civ IV happens to be the game I woke up wanting to play today.

Cons:
It isn't here.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Ugh. I can't believe EB used UPS to deliver this.

FedEx? They'll just drop the package at the front door. Woot!

UPS? They act like they're delivering enriched uranium. No signature, no dropoff. They'll *sometimes* leave a package with a neighbor. Sometimes. But not always.

So. My copy is on the truck, too. I'm leaving for work in a half hour. If I put a little post-it note on the door with my signature and written permission to just leave the package there, you think they will?
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Lee wrote:My only question would be then, why wasn't the Civ IGN review thread posted on Saturday also moved?

Fifteen minutes had gone by without Meal moderating anything. Since no one was engaging in monkeyshines and tomfoolery elsewhere, his itchy mod-finger turned it's wrath on this thread.

Some of us get cravings for pizza or beer; Meal gets cravings to mod stuff. I don't get it either.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Because I didn't see it until today. And now that it's release day, there really is no reason to move it.

~Neal
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

triggercut wrote: If I put a little post-it note on the door with my signature and written permission to just leave the package there, you think they will?
They won't. They need the lawyer-created form of their signed waiving them of any responsibility were someone else to appropriate your package before you get home.

~Neal
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The Meal wrote:
triggercut wrote: If I put a little post-it note on the door with my signature and written permission to just leave the package there, you think they will?
They won't. They need the lawyer-created form of their signed waiving them of any responsibility were someone else to appropriate your package before you get home.

~Neal
Good lord! It probably needs to be notarized, too!

(mumbles grumpy stuff about bureaucracies, UPS, and conspiracies in a Milton-esque voice whilst preparing to leave for work...)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You could get lucky with a cool/slacker driver who doesn't care about UPS's responsibility, however. It's probably worth trying.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

triggercut wrote:Some of us get cravings for pizza or beer; Meal gets cravings to mod stuff. I don't get it either.
It's not for you to understand my son. God created OO to test the faithful.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

triggercut wrote:
The Meal wrote:

~Neal
Good lord! It probably needs to be notarized, too!

(mumbles grumpy stuff about bureaucracies, UPS, and conspiracies in a Milton-esque voice whilst preparing to leave for work...)
I cry whenever I get a package via UPS. I always have to wait for their little post-it on my door, go to the website to request pickup, and then go to their facility the next day to wait with the other damned souls to pick up my package in person. At least the facility is somewhat between my home and office.

On the other hand, FedEx will leave the package for me if I leave a signed note on my door for them. I know you can do a blanket signature waiver for them, but there are times that I may not want a package left so I just leave a note or go pickup at their facility as needed (which is a lot farther away than the UPS one, grumble).
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The Meal wrote:You could get lucky with a cool/slacker driver who doesn't care about UPS's responsibility, however. It's probably worth trying.

~Neal
No one in NoVA is that slackerish or cool. The whole area is populated by Stepford-esque automatons who perform the most menial of tasks with the surly, tight-lipped, letter-of-the-law ruthlessness of the bus driver in Quick Change. Drives me crazy.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

At least UPS delivers the packages. My local FedEx guy has this habit of saying, "Screw it, I'm tired," and marking something "attempted delivery, nobody home" instead of, you know, actually ringing my doorbell.
JodoKast

Post by JodoKast »

Well I stopped by my local Fry's (Arlington, TX) on the way to work this morning and they didn't have it :x Will have to try again after work.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Fry's is supposed to have the "collector's edition", which I'm assuming is the pre-order edition in stock by 4:00 this afternoon (PDT). It's also only going to be $37.99, which means I'll be returning my Egames.com one. Here I am, a victim of marketing sleight of hand :(. Oh well, as long as I have it today, all's well that ends well.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Amazon is about to enter the dragon of my shit list.
Kael

Post by Kael »

I got mine! Impressions in the PC Games by title htread. Im installing now!
Creator of the Civ4 Fall from Heaven II fantasy mod for Civilization IV
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think someone that STARTS a post titled GAME X IMPRESSIONS and doesn't actually write any...should be mercilessly mocked.

mock mock mock mock
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I've cancled my order from order. I've also just dispatched a cadre of high mages to deal with Amazon's corporate HQ. Bastards.

Looks like I'll have to pickup lunch on the way back to work.
tgb

Post by tgb »

90 minutes until the stores here open. Maybe I can get SOME work done today.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

I still don't have my game, but that sandwich pic made me real hungry. Think I'll go eat and take a nap
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I went to six places over lunch today, and am still unCivilized. There is all of one game store in my town, so when EB Games was out, then I was burning up the gas. Best Buy hadn't received it as yet. Game Force expected delivery this afternoon. Comp USA in Boulder laughed when I asked if they had it (admittedly, I was getting desperate), the other EB Games told me they sold their 10 non-preorder copies within the first hour (should've gone there first :( ) and the dude actually suggested Target as a possibility. Worse yet, I was so desperate that I actually checked in the Boulder Target, but of course they had nothing.

I should call Game Spot back and let them know to hold on to a copy for me...

~Neal
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Ran in my local EB over lunch and got a copy. I couldn't have timed it any better. I was already running late getting back for lunch, but right as I walked up to the store the UPS guy was just leaving and the manager I knew was there, saw me, and started ringing it up. :)

s
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I got mine from EB, but I no longer have the presell edition (which I had preordered from teh evil Amazon).