Civillization IV Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Orgull

Civillization IV Impressions

Post by Orgull »

Just getting the thread started so we can get to page two and some real impressions tomorrow. :roll:
vizionblind

Post by vizionblind »

thought it's not out till Wednesday?
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I got an email from EBgames saying my pre-order is shipping the 24th (today), and it should be in tomorrow :D :D :D
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Man I can't wait. I totally should have pre-ordered but didn't. So hope EBGames has extra copies tomorrow.

IGN gave it a 94, so in real-life reviews that means it gets ~85. No mention of game killing bugs either. WOOT!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

35 posts til Page 2...

And I've heard scattered reports from different stores, some saying it will be in tomorrow, some saying Wednesday.

I know I'll be phoning all over the place tomorrow. :P

- Ash
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

jpinard wrote: IGN gave it a 94, so in real-life reviews that means it gets ~85.
No it doesn't. It just means IGN gave it a 94. Are you going to tell me that if IGN gives something a 100, that correlates to a 90 in real life? So, then, how will something get over 90 in real life?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yea, I'm not sure when it suppose to be in stores. Firaxis sites says it ships to stores tomorrow. Best Buy ad says it's available Wednesday. EB says tomorrow. I hope it's tomorrow. I'm ready to play.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Mithridates wrote:
jpinard wrote: IGN gave it a 94, so in real-life reviews that means it gets ~85.
No it doesn't. It just means IGN gave it a 94. Are you going to tell me that if IGN gives something a 100, that correlates to a 90 in real life? So, then, how will something get over 90 in real life?
This one goes to 111.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Mithridates wrote:
It's a joke. IGN has a history of over-rating games. Look at the long list of pc games that got 80+ scores recently http://pc.ign.com/reviews/

Many deserved good scores and many did not - all personal opinion of course.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'm not optimistic about tomorrow. I didn't get the recorded phone call that said, "Hi, this is Arys from Gamestop, calling to remind you that... Civilization 4... should be arriving in stores tomorrow."
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

EB seems to be the only ones getting this in tomorrow.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I preordered from EB. They charged my card Sunday, and their website says shipping today, but my order is still listed as "open" on their website. I have seen EB slow to update their site status in the past though, so who knows.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
tgb

Post by tgb »

Bringing us one step closer to Pg. 2 -

I have a pre-order in with the neighborhood b/m EBGames. Their word is SHOULD be tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you had to specify the CE, or do you just get it automatically if you perordered? The spiral-bound manual would be nice.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Right now I'm hoping for Wednesday. If it's tomorrow, I won't be able to pick up my pre-order as I'm on my way to NJ for an intense six-hour budget meeting, followed by a three hour drive home in rush hour traffic and rain.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Dogstar wrote:Right now I'm hoping for Wednesday. If it's tomorrow, I won't be able to pick up my pre-order as I'm on my way to NJ for an intense six-hour budget meeting, followed by a three hour drive home in rush hour traffic and rain.
And what do you plan to do after that? SLEEP? Wuss.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Captain Caveman wrote:And what do you plan to do after that? SLEEP? Wuss.
Sleep is for the weak.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

This blows. I pre-ordered from Amazon as they were offering it for 44.99 at one point, and as a Silver shopper, over-night is only 3.99, and they had the shipdate listed as the 24th. They changed the shipdate from the 24th to 2-3 days sometime this afternoon. I'm pissed.

It's the first time I've ever attempted to pre-order a game from Amazon.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Called the phone number on my EBgames order page and actually got a live voice. The live voice says that EB shipped the game to NO ONE.

I guess Wednesday is the best possible date. I think the preorder was bigger than they expected and they were rushing to try to cover the last minute shoppers. I know I ordered mine at 4:30 am 10/23/05.

There are some on CivFanatics saying Wal-Mart may have it.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

MY EB said they are definately getting it today. And damn I can't sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

malichai11 wrote:This blows. I pre-ordered from Amazon as they were offering it for 44.99 at one point, and as a Silver shopper, over-night is only 3.99, and they had the shipdate listed as the 24th. They changed the shipdate from the 24th to 2-3 days sometime this afternoon. I'm pissed.

It's the first time I've ever attempted to pre-order a game from Amazon.
I've never pre ordered from amazon but almost everyone I've know who has, has not been too happy. They don't ususally seem to fast to get the game out.
tgb

Post by tgb »

EB changed from shipping 10/24 to shipping 10/25, so if you're counting on EB I'm now thinking tomorrow. Gamestop, OTOH, says currently shipping. I may blow off my pre-order if I can get it at Gamestop today.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
persself

Post by persself »

tgb wrote:Does anyone know if you had to specify the CE, or do you just get it automatically if you perordered? The spiral-bound manual would be nice.
I preordered from EB online, but chose pick up at store option, and there was a separate choice for CE.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
onnel

Post by onnel »

Hey mods, can we get this thread moved to Unreleased Games please.

And I'm only half joking. :)

Onnel
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Im going to be hit up Gamestop, Best Buy, Media Play, Wal-Mart and EB today. I think my best bet will be Wal-Mart or Media Play. They both put out PC games early if they have them. They seem to have no concept of a street date for a PC game....only console games.

Pre-order be damned....I need this game now! :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i pre-ordered yesterday at EB and was told that it would be in about noon today. but now it appears that it's not even shipping until today. very annoying. :evil:
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:i pre-ordered yesterday at EB and was told that it would be in about noon today. but now it appears that it's not even shipping until today. very annoying. :evil:
I did the same. I got the collectors edition but I have no idea what that means from a product standpoint. What the heck, I knew the guy was just telling me what the computer was telling him. Maybe I will actually get some work done today now :wink:
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

If you aren't preordering, I think best buy might be your best chance today.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Can I still pre-order for and get it today? Maybe I'll be checking the gamestops (gamespots?) around here for a late lunch today. I'll keep cheking back. I figure it's gotta release when hit page 2 right?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

LordMortis wrote:I figure it's gotta release when hit page 2 right?
If someone can confirm that that works, I'll break out all my old padding skills right now, damnit. ;)

- Ash
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Asharak wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I figure it's gotta release when hit page 2 right?
If someone can confirm that that works, I'll break out all my old padding skills right now, damnit. ;)

- Ash
You have padding skills? Prove it :) (see, now you have an excuse to pad)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Fry's ad yesterday said it would be in "by 4 PM today"

Subject to manufacturer's ship date

Too bad Fry's is so far away - I wonder if I need to buy something there for work today? :twisted:
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

So how's the page 2 thing going?

Has it happened yet?

Huh?

Has it?
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
storz

Post by storz »

My order from Amazon still not shipping yet. :cry:

Now, come on page 2...
tgb

Post by tgb »

baron calamity wrote:If you aren't preordering, I think best buy might be your best chance today.
Best Buy isn't showing availability til Thursday.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Bah. Both the EBs nearest me now are saying the 27th!!! :P

- Ash
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i think this is a scam on the part of fireaxis. normally i don't get terribly worked up over game releases, but having the date switched hours before the initial ship date on EB's site has driven me to a near frenzy of perturbed annoyance. i think i'm going to go get belligerent with my local EB guy for telling me today. smack him around a bit. show him who's boss...

...oh, who am i kiddin'...i'm just gonna go quietly stew at home after work.
He won. Period.
Peoux

Post by Peoux »

This is false advertising!

... calling it an Impressions thread, but nobody has any impressions of the game, cause it's not in the stores yet! Foul! I call foul!
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey
DCL

Post by DCL »

Don't know if it's a computer glich but gamestop says it's shipping.

http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=646074

If it is shipping from their warehouses, I wonder if their stores will have it today?
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."

— Frederick Douglass
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tick... Tick... I will wait until noon to start callng...
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

hepcat wrote:but having the date switched hours before the initial ship date on EB's site has driven me to a near frenzy of perturbed annoyance.
The weird thing is, EB website said 10/25/2005 until yesterday when it switched to the 24th. Now that it has switched pack, everyone is like "WTF?".