The Next Best Thing To Playing Civ IV

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Post by tgb »

is reading the outraged posts on Civfanatics from those who were convinced they would have it today.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

True, dat.

Although I thought you were going to say you'd started a game of Civ III. ;)

- Ash
Stomach Contents

Post by Stomach Contents »

Yeah that place is crazy right now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait until Oblivion is released. Or they announce system requirements for the PC. Or they announce it'll ship for Xbox first.

We'll make the CivFanatics look like a Kindergarden picnic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Oh lord, I just visited their forums. It's freaking hilarious. I can't read the posts without picturing people in sweatpants and sweatshirts, in some damp basement with only the glow of a computer monitor, angrily typing away in rage at the release delay while tearing at their hair and garments.

Quotes like, "I would gladly pay an extra $20 to have the game 3 hours earlier!"

Oh, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Well... I can understand some frustration. I bet a lot of people cashed in a sick day or vacation day to be home when it came in.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

SuperHiro wrote:Well... I can understand some frustration. I bet a lot of people cashed in a sick day or vacation day to be home when it came in.
Which is in itself such a brilliant idea, yes? ;)

I haven't ruled out doing something like that after I get the game - if it truly is as addictive as I hope it will be, I'd like to devote some serious time to it before the end of the stretch of eight consecutive work days I have coming up - but doing it before I have the game, knowing full well the vagueries of game release schedules?

That's just plain asking fate to bite you in the ass.

- Ash
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

SlyFrog wrote:Oh lord, I just visited their forums. It's freaking hilarious. I can't read the posts without picturing people in sweatpants and sweatshirts, in some damp basement with only the glow of a computer monitor, angrily typing away in rage at the release delay while tearing at their hair and garments.

Quotes like, "I would gladly pay an extra $20 to have the game 3 hours earlier!"

Hehe, I've been visiting daily for the past couple of weeks and the threads are just hilarious. "How many hours will your first Civ4 session be!?!" inquired one poll. Another one was "Will the forums get busier after release or will they slow down?" asked another. "WHat settings should my first game be?!" wondered one would-be Civ4 player!

The scariest part is that these threads go on for DAYS with dozens of serious replies.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"There are consequences for lying. The release date was today. And Sid Myers will reap what he has sown."

That's a quote, and I am pretty sure the poster was not joking. :D
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Hmm, noe it looks like Civfanatics is overloaded, I can't get their page to come up, I get database errors and such. Last time I checked they had over 900 people browsing the forums lol.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

SuperHiro wrote:Well... I can understand some frustration. I bet a lot of people cashed in a sick day or vacation day to be home when it came in.
I did, and as I have to plan my vacation ahead of time, I had to guess. (I don't have much sick leave to use right now). If you look in the other thread, you'll see what I'm going to do to get mine as soon as possible. I would not however, pay anything more, as it's killing me not to have gotten the game at Fry's with their $37.99 price. I really wanted the special edition tho (and I get a 10% discount at Ebgames.com cuz of Gamespot) so I went for it.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Lorini wrote:
I did, and as I have to plan my vacation ahead of time, I had to guess. (I don't have much sick leave to use right now). If you look in the other thread, you'll see what I'm going to do to get mine as soon as possible. I would not however, pay anything more, as it's killing me not to have gotten the game at Fry's with their $37.99 price. I really wanted the special edition tho (and I get a 10% discount at Ebgames.com cuz of Gamespot) so I went for it.

Lorini
Heh. I ordered mine from overseas (from a big U.K. entity, not pirate-ware) for about $30.00 total U.S. shipped. It ships November 4, and will take (according to them) 7-10 days to get here, but I've got plenty of things to play.

It's amazing how you hear people talk about their huge backlogs in the same breath that they say they must get a new game on the day it comes out, as though they would have nothing to play if they had to wait 2-3 weeks.

I'm coming across a little harsh here, I know. I understand the sentiment and excitement. I am a gamer too, and I'd love, for unknown but primal reasons, to have the game the day it comes out. The reason center of my brain, however, says that is not worth $20+ when I have plenty of things to play that I gripe about not getting around to.

In the end, I just think that people need to dial it back a little and gain some perspective.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Care to give us some linkage for your UK source? And are you sure it's legit? You get a manual and everything?

I would be willing to wait a week to save $20...will make me feel better about the fact that I have a huge ass backlog of games sitting on my shelf. :D
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Care to give us some linkage for your UK source? And are you sure it's legit? You get a manual and everything?

I would be willing to wait a week to save $20...will make me feel better about the fact that I have a huge ass backlog of games sitting on my shelf. :D
Well, I've never ordered from them before, but they have a very professional website and good reviews online. I'm pretty comfortable they are not a fly-by-night.

Unfortunately, the price has gone up to 25.99 pounds in the last day or so (I got it for 17.99 pounds, after an easily available 2 pounds off e-coupon from the 19.99 pounds price).

So I do not think it will help you anymore, but the site is: www.cd-wow.com
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

SlyFrog wrote:Oh lord, I just visited their forums. It's freaking hilarious. I can't read the posts without picturing people in sweatpants and sweatshirts, in some damp basement with only the glow of a computer monitor, angrily typing away in rage at the release delay while tearing at their hair and garments.

Hahaha, yeah. People devoted to only a single game like that are such losers. I just know they're all smelly, lonely, anti-social, basement-dwellers who must rely on their parents' goodwill to survive.

Those of us at a forum talking about multiple different games are just so superior to those mouth breathers. Just being able to look down and ridicule aothers farther down the food chain within our hobby makes me feel awesome. Us > Civfantatics > Furries > Crackwhores. Go US!
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

malichai11 wrote:Hahaha, yeah. People devoted to only a single game like that are such losers. I just know they're all smelly, lonely, anti-social, basement-dwellers who must rely on their parents' goodwill to survive.
I am NOT smelly. :cry:
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Actually Mal, you're right. We are better than them. Thanks for pointing that out. :)
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

malichai11 wrote:

Hahaha, yeah. People devoted to only a single game like that are such losers. I just know they're all smelly, lonely, anti-social, basement-dwellers who must rely on their parents' goodwill to survive.

Those of us at a forum talking about multiple different games are just so superior to those mouth breathers. Just being able to look down and ridicule aothers farther down the food chain within our hobby makes me feel awesome. Us > Civfantatics > Furries > Crackwhores. Go US!
I'd put Furries below Crackwhores, but that might just be me.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm neither smelly nor a loser in any way shape or form, I think that's nearly an insulting statement for those of us who are passionate about Civ.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

malichai11 wrote:

Yes, people who are devoted to a single game such that they are whining and ranting as though the world will end because it is coming out a day late are losers.

Clearly I was insulting them because they liked a single game, rather than multiple games. Yeah, that's it.
edosan

Post by edosan »

malichai11 wrote:

Man, you're right. We totally rock!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Lorini wrote:I'm neither smelly nor a loser in any way shape or form, I think that's nearly an insulting statement for those of us who are passionate about Civ.

Lorini
malichai11 is on your side, he was sarcastically scolding SlyFrog.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

wonderpug wrote:
Lorini wrote:I'm neither smelly nor a loser in any way shape or form, I think that's nearly an insulting statement for those of us who are passionate about Civ.

Lorini
Thanks for not missing my sarcasm Mr. Pug.
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

malichai11 wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

Lorini
Thanks for not missing my sarcasm Mr. Pug.
Yeah, it was hard to miss. I'm not sure how you missed the point of mine, however.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

I'd be more concerned with getting, you know, actual civilization in New Orleans first.
Classic quote to a "When will we get it in New Orleans?" question
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think the ranting on Civfanatics has reached enough of a fervored pitch to be well beyond fair game for mocking imo.

When people start calling for Sid Meyers (sic) head on a plate, almost threatening the man, because a game ships ONE day later (AND EARLIER I MIGHT ADD THAN THE ORIGINAL SHIP DATE), then those people need a virtual noogie.

If I ever said some of the silly things I have read there, I would expect, nay DEMAND to be mocked as well. Might bring me back to earth for some perspective.

I take nothing back. And I might add, I have read those forums over the years and gotten some great insight into how to play the GAME...let's remember that. A GAME. I just think some people are taking this a little too seriously (and need a good mocking :D).
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Yeah, I can agree with all that. Long ago I got used to the fact that computer games were never going to show up in the store on the day of release, like they do with movies and the like. Just a fact of life.

As it is I've been told that I have to be at work on Saturday, so I won't be able to stay up all nigh gaming. Rats.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

I'm naturally allergic to mocking folks who share my hobbies. It usually comes off as macho elitist bullshit. Using the black-t-shirt-fattie-living-in-their-parent's-basement stereotype to crap on these folks further bugs me coming from someone who also shares the hobby. "They're really a geek, but I'm sure as hell not."

All that being said, the level of anger and hate generated over there certainly deserves some mocking.

I apologize to SlyFrog for my snarkiness. I'm hyper/overly sensitive to crap like this.
jpinard

Re: The Next Best Thing To Playing Civ IV

Post by jpinard »

tgb wrote:is reading the outraged posts on Civfanatics from those who were convinced they would have it today.
Oh man TGB. Thanks for the huge laugh! :lol: I gotta go there and see the carnage :ninja:
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

malichai11 wrote:I'm naturally allergic to mocking folks who share my hobbies. It usually comes off as macho elitist bullshit. Using the black-t-shirt-fattie-living-in-their-parent's-basement stereotype to crap on these folks further bugs me coming from someone who also shares the hobby. "They're really a geek, but I'm sure as hell not."

All that being said, the level of anger and hate generated over there certainly deserves some mocking.

I apologize to SlyFrog for my snarkiness. I'm hyper/overly sensitive to crap like this.
Loser :o ... Basement boy :D ...Snarky Geek Boy :lol:
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

SlapBone wrote:
malichai11 wrote:I'm naturally allergic to mocking folks who share my hobbies. It usually comes off as macho elitist bullshit. Using the black-t-shirt-fattie-living-in-their-parent's-basement stereotype to crap on these folks further bugs me coming from someone who also shares the hobby. "They're really a geek, but I'm sure as hell not."

Loser :o ... Basement boy :D ...Snarky Geek Boy :lol:
:cry:
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

I would say 'comedy gold' but that would get this site shut down.
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Oh, I'm a geek. I roam about in the sweats on the weekends, have you no doubt. I just don't rip off my shirt in rage and anger because Civ IV didn't arrive in the two hour window I had apportioned for it.

I get your point, mine was not an attempt to attack all geek kind, it was an attempt to attack the hyper-whiny impatient subset only.

I give big hugs to all here. :D

P.S. But I do find the stereotype funny, even if occassionally, on a bright sunny Saturday, when I emerge from my secluded lair after a 12 hour Everquest-a-thon, it is shockingly applicable to me. :lol:
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Lorini
I think you're cute as a button. Just FYI.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
DireAussie

Post by DireAussie »

Yes, that's really what I've been playing this past week. Civ 4 isnt coming out until next week in Aus.

The game above is in a stagnant position - all the civs are angry at me and I can't get a foothold anywhere because they keep on sending their bloody invincible battleships after me and I've had the most incredible bad luck against them.

And it didnt help that I lost 2 submarines to sail(!!) units.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The game above is in a stagnant position
Perhaps if you back your words with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!!
DireAussie

Post by DireAussie »

I didnt have to in the end; my luck changed for the better and I steamrolled them all with diplomats :lol: