Civillization IV Walkthrough by Sulla

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Orgull

Civillization IV Walkthrough by Sulla

Post by Orgull »

To help us pass the time until we actually get the game and start playing it, here is a VERY detailed walkthrough of the first few turns of Sulla's first game, with screenshots!

http://www.kalikokottage.com/civ3/sulll ... alk_1.html
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

That's it! You have to research certain techs to be able to trade techs or trade gold with other civs.
Tentatively, I like that mucho.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Reading those hints it also looks liek when you change from building a building to another thing you don`t lose the shields you used they stay specific to that building, i assume like a half built building you can go back and finish, if so thats a great idea.

I definitely want this game.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Reading those hints it also looks liek when you change from building a building to another thing you don`t lose the shields you used they stay specific to that building, i assume like a half built building you can go back and finish, if so thats a great idea.
I know it works like that going from improvement to unit to wonder. I wasn't sure if it worked like that for individual items. I do think that it's a good solution to a problem the serious had previously.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

*cough* That's series peacedog. ;)

And yeah, I agree, as much as I used that loophole, I could do without it. It also means more strategizing in multiplayer since people can't immediately switch to whatever they need at the moment.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Cool. It says that Civ3 shipped with a total of three random map scripts but Civ4 has twenty-one! One of the advanced maps is called "Fantasy Realm". Interesting...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Egads a typo. You never see those on the net.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

All the game options will make for some interesting variations in MP games.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Peacedog wrote:Egads a typo. You never see those on the net.
I don't. Otherwise I'd see how horrible my typing is and hide my head in shame.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Anyone know how the one city challenge works? Everyone just has one city and must use workers to link up resources and such? Seems like a fun way to play, although the lack of large borders could be a problem.

Frankly, I still want to start a Huge Terra map, throw a bunch of OOers on it and start making deals.

Of course, I see that there's only about 8 or so slots for single player.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Turtle wrote:Anyone know how the one city challenge works? Everyone just has one city and must use workers to link up resources and such?
From the mouseover text in the walkthrough's screenshot, it sounds like it's just the human player that is limited to one city.

- Ash
Rip

Post by Rip »

Turtle wrote:Anyone know how the one city challenge works? Everyone just has one city and must use workers to link up resources and such? Seems like a fun way to play, although the lack of large borders could be a problem.

Frankly, I still want to start a Huge Terra map, throw a bunch of OOers on it and start making deals.

Maybe a nice slow play by E-mail? I'm in!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Anyone know how the one city challenge works? Everyone just has one city and must use workers to link up resources and such? Seems like a fun way to play, although the lack of large borders could be a problem.

To the best of my knowledge, it's a player-initiated challenge from previous games. You start an empire. You, and only you (assuming you vs the CPU) limit yourself to one city. Good luck trying to win. ;)

I don't know what the other rules of play are. I assume you are allowed to take over another empire's city via conquest, but perhaps that's not the case and you really are trying to win with just the 1 city (I don't see how that woudl be possible except on the smallest maps).

I applaud Civ IV for implementing the idea as a startup option. Lots of startup options is good in a game like this. It's cool, the same way Fonzie was cool. And it gives people lots of variety (and it's also fun when you're making the score versus enhanced startup choice).
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

This AAR (such as it is) hints at some interesting things. For example, we were discussing tech paths on the tech tree just recently. It was wondered by the group what the implications would be with regards to 1 path being quicker to writing than another. The "quick" path was hunting, animal husbandry, writing I believe. The long path was the mysticism route (long because it had an additional tech on it).

We now know that different techs in the same column have varying costs. Also, look at the implications of taking the "long" (by number of techs" path. You get a shot at founding your own religion. Which looks to give some pretty significant benefits. No anarchy, culture boost, ability to build certain city improvements, chance for religious great people, and the ability to build a shrine (which gives you incentive to preach to the unwashed heathens).

I think the varying tech cost (hunting cheaper than agriculture being the specific site; hunting allows you to work 2 tiles but I assume that
agriculture will allow the irrigation equivalent which is super important for any empire), combined with techs often now having a more significant impact (possibly depending on context; I'm assuming whatever allows you to build a cathedral, for example, is less relevant if you decide to go aethist from the get go), should be interesting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awww, man - you mean I will have to choose RAGING HORDES or NO barbarians? Crap...I realize now how set in my Civ ways I really am! I have played with the "balanced" barbarian setting ever since it's been an option (I can't remember how Civ 1 handled it).

Ah well...

OTOH, suggested settlement spots? Great! Love the fact that selecting a settler shows you the resources and shield/grain effects. Very very nice touch imo.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'm excited about the changes and eager to try this puppy out. It's just such a phenomenally great concept and system.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Awww, man - you mean I will have to choose RAGING HORDES or NO barbarians? Crap...I realize now how set in my Civ ways I really am! I have played with the "balanced" barbarian setting ever since it's been an option (I can't remember how Civ 1 handled it).
The default barbarians are still there but just don't show as an option. That would be redundant. :P

Raging Barbs and No Barbs are merely additional options!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, this about knocked me off my fence-sitting. As mentioned before I've never got into any of the other Civ games, so I'm going into this as a total newbie. The interface looks very slick, though, and a lot more accessible than my brief experience with Civ 2.

Count me in. This could be just the deep, replyable shot in the arm I needed after a couple of months playing mindless shooters and MMOs.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oh MAN, I am finally really psyched about this after reading that walkthrough. RPG elements (via promotions) in Civ?!? Good LORD are they trying to give me a heart attack?!

This is also great: "Borders mean a lot more in this game than they did in Civ3."

Should cut down a lot on the frustration caused by Settler + Warrior combos trying to "sneak in".

I can't believe I will actually be buying a game on day one. This is a first for me. My justification is that Civ games historically do not drop much in price like almost all other games that are released. Might as well bite the bullet and enjoy the game from day one!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Awww, man - you mean I will have to choose RAGING HORDES or NO barbarians?
Not the impression I got from those screenshots. It's not apparent that you have to click either of those options. Which I assume means that, if you click neither, you get the default number of barbarians.

But I am guessing, since I don't have the game yet.

- Ash
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Asharak wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Awww, man - you mean I will have to choose RAGING HORDES or NO barbarians?
Not the impression I got from those screenshots. It's not apparent that you have to click either of those options. Which I assume means that, if you click neither, you get the default number of barbarians.
I wonder what happens if you click both? Do you get raging hordes of nonexistant barbarians? :ninja:
JodoKast

Post by JodoKast »

Does anyone know anything more about this "Fantasy Realm" option? All I can think of is something like Master of Magic, but I assume that is just too much to ask for.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

JodoKast wrote:Does anyone know anything more about this "Fantasy Realm" option? All I can think of is something like Master of Magic, but I assume that is just too much to ask for.
I think it's just a map-generation script, not a full mod or anything. So maybe some of the map elements are renamed or somesuch....??
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It probably creates a world that doesn't follow more realistic world generation rules. So, you might find a snowy plain at the equator, or a massive mountain ridge completely enclosing some volcanic wasteland.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It probably creates a world that doesn't follow more realistic world generation rules. So, you might find a snowy plain at the equator, or a massive mountain ridge completely enclosing some volcanic wasteland.
That's my guess.
dfs

Post by dfs »

My justification is that Civ games historically do not drop much in price like almost all other games that are released. Might as well bite the bullet and enjoy the game from day one!
While this is true, other than AC all of the civ games have had pretty major coding problems on first release and all of the civ games have been significantly improved via patches and expansion packs.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

dfs wrote:
My justification is that Civ games historically do not drop much in price like almost all other games that are released. Might as well bite the bullet and enjoy the game from day one!
While this is true, other than AC all of the civ games have had pretty major coding problems on first release and all of the civ games have been significantly improved via patches and expansion packs.
But a lot of time the need for the patches isn't discovered until extensive game play. I might as well be part of the extensive game play :)

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
MT

Post by MT »

Tentatively, I like that mucho.
No kidding! This sounds like the fix for the AI trading tech between itself and getting an advantage.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

No kidding! This sounds like the fix for the AI trading tech between itself and getting an advantage.

Yep, plus I like in game mechanics that dictate your potential actions. You can ally with someone, yes, but you can't ally and just start overwhelming people. You both will need to researcg certain techs to be able to better benefit each other. And it will benefit you both to do so - but it's a cost you hve to factor in.

I think it's a good idea to prevent tech whoring early in the game. Another time, I might argue that you don't necessarily want quick and easy tech trade at all (Stars! had a brutal mechanism for tech trading that actually produced interesting results). I like attaching costs to things.

Sulla has apparently already completed a large walkthrough (with pics). But only 2 pages a day are getting posted until monday. And won't post it all now. Seems kind of silly, but it's Sulla's choice.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Peacedog wrote:Sulla has apparently already completed a large walkthrough (with pics). But only 2 pages a day are getting posted until monday. And won't post it all now. Seems kind of silly, but it's Sulla's choice.
Well I won't need no stinking walkthrough by next Monday, so forget him. :)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Well I won't need no stinking walkthrough by next Monday, so forget him.
That;s what I think is odd about it. If it were in process, and one section a night was being done, that makes sense. This likely all started as notes. It takes time to get from notes to nicely formatted webpage.

If the game were coming out next week, and this was coinciding with release, well that would make sense too.

But everyone is going to be playing it tomorrow (allegedly?!?). I see no point in holding back now. But like I said - his call not mine.
revenantsoul

Post by revenantsoul »

But a lot of time the need for the patches isn't discovered until extensive game play. I might as well be part of the extensive game play :)

Lorini
Couldn't have said it better myself :D
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I'd be up for a play by email game or two. That might work best for those of us that are on differing schedules.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
abr

Post by abr »

Lee

Post by Lee »

abroctopus wrote:Part two is up.
Thanks for the heads up.

I am finding it very amusing that that his upgraded warrior is getting it's ass kicked by lions. He mentions unusual results. Is it that or is the engine screwed and spearmen will be taking out tanks left and right. :twisted:
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

His two upgrades were hardly world beaters. Yes, one uppeed his forest defense, but the other just upped forest move. He had a +50% defensive bonus. I'd have expected to do better as well (other things being equal), but there were times in civ where I might have a 4hp unit on mountains fight a 2hp barbarian and win but get left with 1 hp. I'm not sure it's unreasonable.

But it would be funny as shit if there was something wrong with the RNG.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

I like that you can move units onto a tile with units from other civs. Will come in handy for helping an ally in a battle.
abr

Post by abr »

To my great surprise, I just found out that Civ4 is on store shelves here in Germany, while the UK based dealer I've preordered from won't have it until 11/04/05.

So I'm now faced with the decision to

a) either wait until 11/08/05 (11/04/05 plus shipping time) and get the game for 27 EUR
b) or get the game tomorrow for 48 EUR

How cruel life can be ...
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

@ abroctopus... no question, get it now! :D

I'd get it today if I could but it doesn't seem to be in Canada yet. :(
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

At least you have that choice. I'm stuck waiting until the 4th (and that's if I want to pay pound sterling...if I want to pay USD, I have to wait until sometime in mid-to-late November for it to show up in our base exchange). :?