Civillization IV Walkthrough by Sulla

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

abr

Post by abr »

The more instinctive and emotional parts of my brain are screaming 'Fool! What are you waiting for? Go ... run to the store and pay whatever it costs!', but currently sanity and budgeting still manage to keep them in check. ;)
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I sort of ignored this one, since I have a huge backlog and don't actually play these sorts of games that often. But everything I'm reading about #4 sounds great to me - these walkthroughs are great. Maybe I'll try to pick it up.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I like that units can now share the same tile, although it's going to change some of my strategies.

Then again, if other civs actually have to respect my borders, i won't have to create my "line of units" to keep 'em out! :P
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I sort of ignored this one, since I have a huge backlog and don't actually play these sorts of games that often. But everything I'm reading about #4 sounds great to me - these walkthroughs are great. Maybe I'll try to pick it up.
Weird, I had you pegged as a big 4x guy (or is it just the Civ games in particular)?

Possibly just because I've often mistaken your posts in these types of things for my own.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Peacedog wrote:
Weird, I had you pegged as a big 4x guy (or is it just the Civ games in particular)?

Possibly just because I've often mistaken your posts in these types of things for my own.
I like them when I play them, but it's been a long time since I've played them. I don't think I've fired up Civ3 in a couple of years. Other than PBEM, I've played very little SMAC in the last couple of years. I bought MOO3 and set it aside fairly quickly. And that's it for the last several years.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

And that's it for the last several years.
Hell, there hasn't been much else. Moo3 was a disaster. I find Dominions I & II far too inacessible (really, that interface. . .*shudders*). Space Empires IV was years ago, early this decade wasn't it? I wasn't even ever into that series. It's been dry time for the genre IMO.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Day 2 was an even better read. I'm dying to start playing.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The Preacher wrote:Day 2 was an even better read. I'm dying to start playing.
Agreed. I can't say how happy I am about the production queue changes. Post Moo, the best production system I've seen was in Stars!. Where you had a pool of resources, and you could build as much as you wanted on a planet limited only by available minerals + resource output. Leftover resources could be dumped into tech research (or, you could just leave the queue empty). The stars! economy was simple: people modestly generate reosurces by being alived on your planet. Build factories to generate resources (cost: some resources, some minerals). Build mines to extract minerals (cost: resources).

And yet you could get rather complex with it. You could queue up any number of things: terraforming, ships, space stations, a few planetary improvements (defenses or a planetary scanner). By not limiting to 1 type fo thing per turn, it really opened the game up.

Here, w're still dealing with 1 thing at a tiome. However, production is no longer some sort of "all you get is what you have this turn" deal. It makes more sense ot have it save. Ditto research (worked that way in stars to, and it's very nice).

Also, I'm thinking the maintenance changes will be a positive. No longer will we fret over individual cities quite the same way. Which is good. It still costs time to make something, but we no longer have to follow certain build orders in certain periods just to keep the empire afloat & keep a city from being useless. Now, buildings are generally just about creating positives, not staving off negatives (civ buildings did both). Or so it sounds.

It sounds promising.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Peacedog wrote:
And that's it for the last several years.
Hell, there hasn't been much else. Moo3 was a disaster. I find Dominions I & II far too inacessible (really, that interface. . .*shudders*). Space Empires IV was years ago, early this decade wasn't it? I wasn't even ever into that series. It's been dry time for the genre IMO.
That's a good point. Maybe it's not me. I should at least try to finish something first.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ChrisGwinn wrote:I should at least try to finish something first.
Or maybe somebody should make us a game that doesn't suck? It's always the other person. Always.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Peacedog wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:I should at least try to finish something first.
Or maybe somebody should make us a game that doesn't suck? It's always the other person. Always.
I just got a GoGamer order that contained Darwinia, Space Rangers 2 and the new Serious Sam. I'm not allowed to complain for a while.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well, I have to say, reading these daily walkthroughs is driving me crazy.

On the one hand, I absolutely love the style and the content - better than any preview imo (IF you are a previous Civver - because you can really see "what's different and how" better), but otoh, he has ruined my plans to get just one more Civ 3 game in before I buy Civ 4.

Hell, I was going to fire up Conquests the other night before I read this accursed write up.

Also ruined my latest plan to hold off buying this until the inevitable and $34.99 sale at Best Buy since I have such a backlog (can you say System Shock II?).

How can I go back now? I have seen things that the new Civ does (or doesn't do) that I will not now be able to accept in Civ 3 DAMMIT. Half of the stuff, I was not even really aware of, or it did not bother me enough to ever stop playing.

But now, with the "new baby" in the family, Civ 3 is EVIL - EVIL I TELL YA!! damn, dude...and I never even got to play a "Conquest" from the expansion. I SAY DAMN YOU SIR.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Well, I have to say, reading these daily walkthroughs is driving me crazy.

On the one hand, I absolutely love the style and the content - better than any preview imo (IF you are a previous Civver - because you can really see "what's different and how" better), but otoh, he has ruined my plans to get just one more Civ 3 game in before I buy Civ 4.

Hell, I was going to fire up Conquests the other night before I read this accursed write up.

Also ruined my latest plan to hold off buying this until the inevitable and $34.99 sale at Best Buy since I have such a backlog (can you say System Shock II?).

How can I go back now? I have seen things that the new Civ does (or doesn't do) that I will not now be able to accept in Civ 3 DAMMIT. Half of the stuff, I was not even really aware of, or it did not bother me enough to ever stop playing.

But now, with the "new baby" in the family, Civ 3 is EVIL - EVIL I TELL YA!! damn, dude...and I never even got to play a "Conquest" from the expansion. I SAY DAMN YOU SIR.
:lol: You're not alone in those thoughts.

s
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is this link dead for anyone else? I wasn't able to get in yesterday either...dying to read the rest of it.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Apparently it was so popular his sever had to shut it down.

There's a thread about it somewhere...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Yes, too much bandwidth. So thety moved the walkthrough to a new location, and the same thing happend.

The old home that was formerly the new home, not to be confused with the old home that was formerly the first home.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It's dead, Jim.
I said that!!!
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

The Preacher wrote:
Peacedog wrote:Yes, too much bandwidth. So thety moved the walkthrough to a new location, and the same thing happend.

The old home that was formerly the new home, not to be confused with the old home that was formerly the first home.
It's dead, Jim.

This is the CivFanatic thread to monitor. Sulla will post when he gets it PDF'd and uploaded to a new site.
Heh, I'm the 'KingSponge' dude he's referring to and I'm just waiting to receive all of the files. Should be any time now...
:?
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Peacedog wrote:
It's dead, Jim.
I said that!!!
I'm a doctor, not an interpreter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sponge:

Nice of you to offer to host...

Can you post in this thread if/when this is back online again (in any format)?

Or anyone else for that matter...

Thanks,

Bruce
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Sponge:

Nice of you to offer to host...

Can you post in this thread if/when this is back online again (in any format)?

Or anyone else for that matter...

Thanks,

Bruce
Somebody beat me to it and was hosting multiple PDF's but his server appears to be blown away already. However, another fella put up a torrent for it here
Koz

Post by Koz »

Man, I want to read this (missed the last 3 parts), but I can't get torrents from work. Do they actually expect me to do work?
Lynn

PDFs

Post by Lynn »

Try this link (this is where I was able to read them):
http://www.guybailey.com/sullla/

You will need Adobe installed to read the PDFs.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Ooh, excellent, thanks. I will grab them before it gets swamped (although I think someone above mentioned it was).
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Koz
Let me know if you are unable to get them. I have them saved in .doc (MS Word) format as well. Only if Sullla has no objections - I could send them to you in that format - without, or without the screenies.

Lynn
Koz

Post by Koz »

I got em, thanks!
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Sulla's page is back up in a new home.

http://civ4info.com/Sullla/civ4.html
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok