HL2 + 50" DLP = Pure Love!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

lildrgn

HL2 + 50" DLP = Pure Love!

Post by lildrgn »

Not that I've done it, but I'm seeing a trip to my brother's house in the near future...

Check this out

:shock:
You complete me.
words
KingB

Post by KingB »

Very, very nice. :D
Currently thinking of something clever.........
kathode

Post by kathode »

I get a little depressed when I hear an fx5950 described as a "lower generation card". :cry:
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Well I have my HTPC running now on a 50" LCD but the only resolution I've found that can fill my screen without overscan is too damn high to play HL2 or a lot of other games with the current HP of the rig. I haven't tried gaming yet but I'm itching to do so, maybe I can find a good 720p resolution instead of a 1080i that will fit the screen.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I get a little depressed when I hear an fx5950 described as a "lower generation card"
I feel your pain buddy! I have a Raedon 9700 that I bought 1.5 years ago for $200. Thats even lower generation than the fx 5950...by a LONG shot!

That said, HL2 ran great at 800x600 on my machine. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Of course a lot of people would probably refuse to play at that resolution but I still loved every second of it.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, now. I might have to try it out on my HTPC, just to get a few screenshots. Although on an XP1700+ with 512MB RAM and a 64MB 9700 pro, it would be more for the novelty factor than to get any real game time in.

Looks like Counter-Strike in widescreen is a definite advantage.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
geezer

Re: HL2 + 50" DLP = Pure Love!

Post by geezer »

lildrgn wrote:Not that I've done it, but I'm seeing a trip to my brother's house in the near future...

Check this out

:shock:
Here's the thing. (but maybe it wouldn't be too bad in HL b/c lotsof the action is centered rightin front of you.)

When we recently moved, my wife was kind enough to allow me to take a room and make it into a gaming/working area of sorts in whatever way I wanted, so I promptly installed a projector that sits on a corner shelf behind me and throws a 72" image on the opposite wall. Along with this I have a 7.1 speaker system set up so I can really get sucked in..

Anyway, I play mainly sims, and this setup is FANTASTIC for that, especially in conjunction with a TrackIR device that lets me manipulate my view by moving my head.

Anyway, I tried a little Battlefield Vietnam on the setup not long ago, and found that the image was SO big that I was having issues seeing people coming at me. Basically, you just can't cover enough of the screen with your eyes at once to take in all of what is going on. With a sim, it's different b/c half of he image is your instrumentation or whatnot, but in the FPS arena, here's just too much to look at.

MAYBE with HL2 and other "story" driven games this wouldn't be an issue since you aren't so worried about snipers up in the top left of the screen. Who knows? Thief3 works ok, but I really need a better screen to get shadow detail to come out better I think..
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I appreciate what Geezer is saying, but it's a bit like complaining that you have to pay taxes on your lottery winnings...

:)
You complete me.
words
disarm

Post by disarm »

what geezer is saying is a bit of an issue if the screen is too big. a buddy of mine has a projector hooked up to his Xbox that shoots about a 72" (or slightly bigger) image up on the wall. the image quality is great, but it is hard to see everything you need at one time. i've played quite a bit of Madden and Halo against him on it, and you actually have to look around the 'screen' to see everything instead of being able to take in the whole situation at once...makes it a little more difficult. it's a trade-off...but not necessarily one i'd object too much to making. there is something to be said for having near life-size people in your games 8)
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

I still prefer my 19" in 1280x1024 with all eye candies on :)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't get it, Geezer. That sniper would be there anyway. Wouldn't being able to see it be an advantage?

Ale
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Alefroth wrote:I don't get it, Geezer. That sniper would be there anyway. Wouldn't being able to see it be an advantage?

Ale
With a computer monitor you can usually see everything just by moving your eyes around a bit. With a screen that big you have to move your whole head to see everything.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote:I don't get it, Geezer. That sniper would be there anyway. Wouldn't being able to see it be an advantage?

Ale
It's like watching a movie on a screen like that. Imagine having to actually turn your head when actors on either side of the screen exchange dialogue. Ok, now imagine it's two doorways in CS. You hear movement outside, both doors are on the screen. But you can't see both of them, you have to turn your head to check between the two.

Widescreen is an advantage. Huge screen isn't.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

geezer with the trackIR device do you have to turn your head or just tilt it? I read about the new version they have out in a CGM a few months back. I just can't see how it helps, it sounds cool but if you turn your head or tilt it to look up and down then you would be looking at the monitor sideways, right? It just sounds like a lot of eye strain to me. If it reacts to subtle movements then the eye strain would go away but the need to look straight ahead without moving my head would drive me and my neck insane.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rich in KCK wrote:geezer with the trackIR device do you have to turn your head or just tilt it? I read about the new version they have out in a CGM a few months back. I just can't see how it helps, it sounds cool but if you turn your head or tilt it to look up and down then you would be looking at the monitor sideways, right? It just sounds like a lot of eye strain to me. If it reacts to subtle movements then the eye strain would go away but the need to look straight ahead without moving my head would drive me and my neck insane.
Well, it's really only a very slight movementthat is necessary (nowhere enough to force your eyes from the screen, and you can set the response rate), and it does take a bit of getting used to - until you try it you don't realize how much body english you are using when you are "flying" or "driving"

Still, once you get used to it nothing is close for a natural viewing system.