HL2 and motionsickness

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

xenocide

HL2 and motionsickness

Post by xenocide »

I was just wondering if I am alone here or if anyone is having similar problems. I have not had a problem with motion sickness in a game in many years. This year I have played Gothic 2, Call of Duty, Deus Ex 2, Thief III, Thief I, Thief II, Far Cry, Doom III, and put hours into Bloodlines (this is the strange one to me as it is the same engine) all without any problems. However, if I play HL2 for more than 30 mins, I get a major headace and nauseous and half to stop playing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If FOV is adjustable, you could try that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

They changed the airboat model / view because one of the testers threw up after playing it for so long. I guess he didn't have a problem with the rest of the game :(

I haven't had any motion sickness problems, but then again I never get motion sickness from games.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Count me as one of the wusses who can't play FPS due to motion sickness. I tried playing my brother's copy of HL2, really enjoyed the story, graphics and atmosphere, but when the action gets crankin' and the camera starts flyin', I start feeling a little bit uneasy. This is probably why most of my favorite games are in the 3rd person.
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

jonsauce wrote:They changed the airboat model / view because one of the testers threw up after playing it for so long. I guess he didn't have a problem with the rest of the game :(

I haven't had any motion sickness problems, but then again I never get motion sickness from games.
I never get sick either, but last night, after an hour or so of the airboat, I was starting to feel it.

Took a break and thankfully, I was right at the end of that sequence, so there was no more nausea.

Wacky.
You complete me.
words
Terrified

Re: HL2 and motionsickness

Post by Terrified »

xenocide wrote:and put hours into Bloodlines (this is the strange one to me as it is the same engine) all without any problems. However, if I play HL2 for more than 30 mins, I get a major headace and nauseous and half to stop playing.
Not so strange. Have you been playing Bloodlines in 1st or 3rd person mode? If I play Bloodlnies in 1st, I get ill. If I play 3rd person, no problems.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I feel bad for those of you who get motion sickness :( I wish you were like me and could play any game you wanted :(
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Not so strange. Have you been playing Bloodlines in 1st or 3rd person mode? If I play Bloodlnies in 1st, I get ill. If I play 3rd person, no problems.
Both, but mostly 1st person. I have only gotten motion sickness from a game twice in my life. Once with the original Jedi Knight (demo or at a friends house, can't remember) and now with HL2. And I have played a lot of FPSs.
Faldarian

Re: HL2 and motionsickness

Post by Faldarian »

Terrified wrote: Not so strange. Have you been playing Bloodlines in 1st or 3rd person mode? If I play Bloodlnies in 1st, I get ill. If I play 3rd person, no problems.
Same for me... I can play Bloodlines in 3rd person, but I can't handle first person for long periods of time.

HL2, however, doesn't have the same effect on me.

It's hit or miss...some games do it to me, some don't. My guess is the red and flashing lighting in Bloodlines.