Civ 4 Too Damn Easy - Won A Conquest Victory in 30 Min.!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Civ 4 Too Damn Easy - Won A Conquest Victory in 30 Min.!

Post by tgb »

With a score of 6836!

Actually I was in the tutorial when business called me away, so I saved. Loading the save, however, restored the game but not the tutorial, so on my next turn I was automatically awarded a conquest victory, shown the conquest victory animation, and got my score.

You are also awarded a named rank appropriate to your score. I was Herbert Hoover :( .

The range runs from Augustus Caesar on the high end down to (wait for it)................Dan Quayle at the bottom. Hee.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Asharak

Re: Civ 4 Too Damn Easy - Won A Conquest Victory in 30 Min.!

Post by Asharak »

tgb wrote:You are also awarded a named rank appropriate to your score. I was Herbert Hoover :( .

The range runs from Augustus Caesar on the high end down to (wait for it)................Dan Quayle at the bottom. Hee.
They brought that back? Sweet. :D

- Ash
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Maybe you're just too damn good?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I cant believe this hasnt been talked about more. Or it has and I missed it. Is no one else playing the tutorial? Cause I am and it sucks that when you save your game and come back and load it, the tutorial ends on your next turn. WTF. I have yet to finish the whole tutorial, and it sucks I cant save my progress and have to start over each time. Does anyone know about how long the whole tutorial is? I would like to know how much further I have to go to finish it before deciding it is time to quit, as I havent had the time to find out for myself. I really want to finish the tutorial before jumping into my first game.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Well crap, I guess I'll be starting the tutorial over tonight.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I had to stop the tutorial...it was putting me to sleep. I did see the mp3 voice files while I was looking for the game's music.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Yeah, this is an annoying oversight. I played the tutorial for a couple hours, quit and saved, then discovered I couldn't start it up from where I left off. Rather than starting the tutorial over again, I simply began playing a new game and started learning by doing rather than reading, which is how I learn best anyway. You guys can do it too! There's always the manual, the Civilopedia, and the OO braintrust for help along the way.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

I didn't notice there was a tutorial until after I'd played 1.5 games. I'm almost done with game number 3 now. I doubt there's much point playing the tutorial now :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

tiny ogre wrote:I didn't notice there was a tutorial until after I'd played 1.5 games. I'm almost done with game number 3 now. I doubt there's much point playing the tutorial now :)
There wasn't much point in the first place, unless you wanted to MST3k Sid's animations.

As far as tutorials go, this one was very inferior. Track down Sulla's walkthrough for a much better introduction to the game.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sulla's site is still down. Anyone have a working link for the full walkthrough?

Edit: Was able to track down a link for some of the .pdfs.

http://www.guybailey.com/sullla/
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Do those Sulla pdf's include lots of good strategy and gameplay tips?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Single pdf download here:

http://www.civfour.com/

Needs Acrobat 7, 159 pages. 8)

No idea what it contains, i'm first looking at it now. Seems to be alot of praise for it though. Think Sulla was a designer/tester.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

rrmorton wrote:Do those Sulla pdf's include lots of good strategy and gameplay tips?
Maybe some strategy -- telling you what Great People and Religion do for you, but they're not laid out as tipsheets, per se. More of a sales pitch targetted towards someone who liked earlier versions of Civ as to why they NEED to own Civ 4 (totally worked for me, too -- I was on the fence but the first few days of walkthroughs made it a Day 1 purchase for me -- without any regrets).

They're worth reading, but it's not like they're a Velocyrix Strategy Guide or anything.

~Neal
Koz

Post by Koz »

rrmorton wrote:Do those Sulla pdf's include lots of good strategy and gameplay tips?
Yeah, he explains pretty much how to use everything. It may be tailored for someone a bit more familiar with the Civ series (as he talks a lot about the changes between Civ 3 and 4), but he has a ton of useful tips... like creating a city near other civ's more meager towns and culture bombing it (using a Great Artist to give 4000 culture to that town) to try and get the enemy towns to flip to your side.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

There appears to be another bug in the tutorial that causes you not to be able to move your worker out of Rome to build a farm. I encountered it after trying to rush thru the first part of the tutorial.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Actually, I had to stop my tutorial because there was a forest in the square that you had to build a farm in...and since you don't have forest chopping tech yet, I couldn't build a farm there. That would freak out someone new the the game.
tgb

Post by tgb »

One thing that surprised me about Sulla's walkthrough was that he apparently waited til the end to decide what kind of victory to go for.

I've always decided on the type of victory at the very beginning, and chose the appropriate civ/improvements/wonders. Am I wrong?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm still on my first 'real' game after a couple of false starts. I'm not shooting for any type of victory yet. I'm just going strong in all areas right, especially research and culture. If i'm strong enough i'll go crush my enemies, if not i'll win on culture or space. It's too early to tell.

I think going for one type of victory limits the fun somewhat.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

tgb wrote:One thing that surprised me about Sulla's walkthrough was that he apparently waited til the end to decide what kind of victory to go for.
He was playing a game on a difficulty level he knew he was going to beat, to demonstrate the different aspects of things. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use his walkthrough as a model for how you would craft your victories. :)

~Neal
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Just so you guys know, the tutorial plays using a specially made mod that makes the game very easy.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Turtle wrote:Just so you guys know, the tutorial plays using a specially made mod that makes the game very easy.
Yes, and because it was so easy they decided to disable the save cheat. Makes it more real, and ultimately more fun.

I was sufficiently intimidated to feel I needed the tutorial (never played a Civ before), but got stuck on the "Can't build the farm Sid told me to," problem someone mentioned earlier. Discouraging start, to say the least.

Thanks for the lifeline of the Sulla links.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Save cheat?

How is it cheating to save in the tutorial?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Bakhtosh wrote:Save cheat?

How is it cheating to save in the tutorial?
Here's a gift for you :D
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Oooh, I can play this game. For you: