Some DS questions.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arkon

Some DS questions.

Post by Arkon »

Have a friend looking to pick up a Nintendo DS. A few quick questions if I might.

1. What screen protectors do you all recommend for the system?
2. Where do you store the stylus while it is not in use, if on the system as I suspect, can anyone provide me with a photo?
3. How durable is the system for a kid who will potentially drop the system?

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.
JSL

Post by JSL »

I have heard good things about the EXiM screen protectors. I am not sure where you can normally buy them, but they are usually available on ebay.

Yes, the stylus does fit into the system.

I'm not sure how durable the system is, especially if dropped. I would guess it can take a fall pretty well while closed, but when open it could be bad.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

1) Can't answer because I don't use a screen protector.

2) I don't have a pic of it, but basically on the side of the unit that holds the hinge of the device there is a hole for putting the stylus into. This same side has the plug in for the DS cartridge and the power plug-in.

3) Everyone complains it feels cheap, but at the same time I am not scared to drop it. I am obviously not going to test it out for you, but I would feel much better about dropping my DS than I would about dropping my PSP. Part of that probably comes from the fact that the DS folds upon itself.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

1) don't use a protector

2) there's a tiny hole in the bak and stylus slips right into the system. It's pretty secure.

3) I've dropped mine a couple times when it was closed - like slip out ouf my hand or off the bed or something - on to a carpeted floor. Hasn't caused any trouble. I haven't dropped it on the sidewalk or from any distance or when it was open. It's sturdier than it looks, I think. It feels very solid.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I am using the pelican screen protectors and so far they have been good.

3. I have personally watched my son drop our DS on the ground several times and it is none the worse for wear, no chips, cracks, or internal damage that I know of. So I would say that the DS is as rock solid as most Nintendo products.
FTE
msurby

Post by msurby »

I got my 7-year old daughter Nintendogs for her birthday and have mostly lost possession of my DS. I bought a screen protector - since I feared the worst from my daughter - but I haven't put it on yet. The screen gets dirty, but I have seen no real damage so far. She has also dropped it a few times onto a hardwood floor, but no damage from that either. I'd say these things are pretty safe in the hands of a decently careful child.

I got my DS used at EB Games for $99 + $10 insurance and I am very happy with my unit. Looks like there is 1 dead pixel on my lower screen, but I only really notice it when it is mostly black - very rare so far. This is a great system and I highly recommend it.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
blkdog7

Post by blkdog7 »

I don't use a screen protector, the stylus is stored inside, and the console is durable as all hell. I dropped mine out of my bag when getting out of a cab in Hong Kong and it scraped across the pavement and bounced about 5 times. It has some scratches on the OUTSIDE of the case but it functions perfectly. Lets see you do that with a PSP.
My Podcast - Video Game Outsiders
Zero Commit - Mature Xbox Live Gaming Community
Currently Playing: Xbox 360: SC:DA, TW07, DS: Clubhouse Games
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Although, for a Nintendo product, I would say it's relatively cheap feeling. Even so, Nintendo stuff is built to last, and the DS is no exception. Haven't dropped it yet, but I'm confident enough that I don't baby it like my PSP.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sure, a "friend".
Laura

Post by Laura »

I don't use a screen protector. Be careful with them since I have heard reports of bubbling and great difficulty in removing them. The Hori protective filters seem to be the best choice.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

El Guapo wrote:Sure, a "friend".
Lol, it is actually my boss at work. He came to me knowing that I was a gamer.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

My wife dropped our DS when unloading our car. It landed on the cement driveway and the results were not good. It must have hit right on one of the hinges, as the hinge broke in half. So now the top screen feels very very scary as its very loosely attached! Nonetheless, the DS still works fine, and its 3 and 6 year old users have not managed to tear it apart yet.

I don't blame the DS for breaking. A 3-4 foot fall on cement would break a lot of things. I do blame my wife though. :wink:
JSL

Post by JSL »

I've got some questions of my own. 8)
  • How is the DS battery life while playing?
  • When you put the DS into sleep mode how good is the battery life?
  • Does the sleep mode work for GBA games too, or just DS ones?
  • Anything else I should know about?
Thanks!
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Jeffrey LaMarche wrote:I've got some questions of my own. 8)
  • How is the DS battery life while playing?
  • When you put the DS into sleep mode how good is the battery life?
  • Does the sleep mode work for GBA games too, or just DS ones?
  • Anything else I should know about?
Thanks!
The battery life is pretty good. I am thinking it might be somewhere around 10 hours?

The battery life lasts a good deal longer in sleep, mode, considering you are leaving some power to the unit. I don't have numbers on this, but I usually leave mine in power saving mode all the time and I get lots of days of play out of it.

The sleep mode only works for DS games. That is, unless the GBA game supports suspend mode, but that is a game feature and not specific to the hardware. Basically, the only way you are going to get it in power saving mode by just shutting the cover is if it is a DS game.

Nothing else to know other than the system is great, allows you to play all your old GBA games, and has some great DS games out for it now with many more still to come this year and beyond. Also, the screen with its lighting is much nicer for your GBA games than playing on an SP.
JSL

Post by JSL »

Thanks for the answers. I do not have any GBA games any longer, as foolishly I sold them all before the GBA SP came out and I was tired of the lack of back lighting. I guess in hindsight there were not too many games I wanted to really play again, except the Mario ones.

So, if I get the DS as I'm intending, I will have a lot to choose from, probably too much really.
Queequeg

Post by Queequeg »

I have the Hori protectors on mine and they work very nicely -- no bubbling or blemishes. Just make sure your screens are spotless before putting them on.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

how do DS games come?

are they on easily changed/stored cartridges or do they fit inside the casing somehow?
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Andrew wrote:how do DS games come?

are they on easily changed/stored cartridges or do they fit inside the casing somehow?
They are on little memory card like things like you might see for a PDA. Those cards come in nice little flat cases. The cards themselves are very small, so you don't have to worry about losing them.

Below is a link to an image which will give you some scale:

Linky
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

thanks DJ.

does the game card fit in a slot on the exterior of the DS unit, or does it go inside a "battery compartment"-type space secured by its own lid?

if DS and GBA games go in different slots, is it possible to play a GBA game with a DS card inserted?

I'm trying to work out how well my kids (7 & 10) would handle a DS...
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

There's two slots. The DS slot is on the back edge of the unit. The little card slides in and sits flush. To remove it, you press the card in and it springs back out. The GBA slot is on the front edge of the unit and it just slides in and out like with a normal GBA.

You can have 1 of each type loaded at the same time. When you turn the thing on, you see a menu where you can choose to play the DS game or the GBA game.

I would guess the 10 year old would have no trouble at all. I wouldn't think the 7 year old would have trouble but it depends on the kid, really.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

thanks Meghan.

I suspect I'll be the one to get a new DS - my daughter (10) can keep her GBA and my oldest son (7) can inherit my GBA.

everybody wins, and I win most :D
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Andrew wrote:thanks Meghan.

I suspect I'll be the one to get a new DS - my daughter (10) can keep her GBA and my oldest son (7) can inherit my GBA.

everybody wins, and I win most :D
That's the spirit. :)

I am getting my son a DS for his birthday and I am more excited than he is because I know he is getting it and he doesn't and I will get to play tons of single cart multiplayer with him.

Oh, and he is 7 and handles my DS just fine.