Inane drama-- Ignore

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cofcos

Inane drama-- Ignore

Post by Cofcos »

The definition of "headstart" is not "delay everyone else".

If you couldn't get a pre-order box you can't play the game you bought for 2.5 days.You, do, however, get to pay 10$ more; as several places have it on sale next week.

Every store within 50 miles of me has it(including several BBs and CompUSAs). So the excuse that the stores shouldn't be selling it isnt valid.

You also can't register to complain on the board and rebutt stupid fanboi comments on the matter...

...I knew I should've used a credit card-- but I was worried for entirely different reasons...
KePoW

Post by KePoW »

uh, I'm pretty sure CoV's retail servers were always scheduled to go live Oct 31, regardless of when your local store happens to put it on the shelf prematurely

in other words, if you're the developer of a MMO and you have been planning for months that your servers will go live a specific date, you wouldn't open them early just cause some chain stores across the nation sold some prematurely
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

It doesn't matter anymore as I've resolved the issue-- however what they did is still wrong because it is being sold in stores with absolutely no note anywhere(I looked) on the box or cutout. All advertising media in the stores selling it is the normal retail stuff with no such note.

For myself, I only heard the number 28-- indeed I checked the website(but not the message boards, as I couldn't get to them at the time) to find out if it came out today; finally I figured I'd just call EB/GS, they said they had it.

Speaking of EB/GS... As I said, I called several stores and warned them about this issue-- none had a clue. I attempted to get a preorder box, but the one I bought it from didn't have any, a few others also didn't have any, but some did. So I went to buy one... Of course, they mis-understood me. So, I went to a Best Buy where I could've bought the preorder box, but they treat it exactly like software and it can't be returned if opened and if you never claim the pre-order fee: you're just out.

But, as I said, I resolved the issue... I performed a charge-back on the past 3 months of CoH-- I would've done it for 4, to also pay for the gas I wasted, but my CC only allows up to 3...

BTW, if anyone wants a free CoV key(which is useless until monday) call me...
Mr Random

Re: Fuck City of Villians(Beware if you see it this weekend)

Post by Mr Random »

Once you hit the age of 40, three days doesn't feel like a lifetime anymore...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks for the warning, I won't be in any rush to pick it up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

If you have a pre-order disc, you can play tonight at 12:01 am.

The official opening is 10/31.
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

The $10 you spend on a preorder box is for the preordered game, not for the contents of the box. If you decide to go back on your preorder of the game, you are perfectly able to do so AND keep the contents of the preorder box. I know this for a fact because I do it all the time. If Best Buy doesn't give you your money back, just go straight to the manager with it. You will get your money back. Again, I speak about this from experience. I got the Guild Wars preorder box at Gamestop and then bought the game online. I went and got my preorder money back from Gamestop.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

I did ask, of course. But I am not confrontational enough to do something like that-- what I recounted above is what I was told by them...

But as far as I'm concerned CoV is off limits until it hits the bargin bin and CoH is dead to me...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The release date is the release date. October 31st.

Part of the incentive to pre-order was to be able to play the game early. That's one of the benefits. It's no longer a benefit if they let everybody who manages to get their hands on a copy from retailers who broke street date enter the game as well.

The only person at fault is yourself for A) not understanding when the official live date was and B) not pre-ordering if you wanted to play before that date.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

My last statement on this is thus:

The reason I over-reacted is because I took the tact of someone who just happened stop at the store sometime this weekend and made a purchase desicion based on the box... I only follow games enough to know if I want them. I don't follow them closely enough to know the intricacies of their deployment strategy. I even got in the CoV beta on the second wave. But only played it like 2 hours(just enough to know I liked masterminds :))...

And the attempts to remedy the matter didn't help my mood... I've not said all I could regarding what Gamestop/EB said.

EB/GS-- all of them in my area-- have broken the street date. Last time I looked the CoV message boards were down, so I couldn't tell if it's just my area or all EB/GS's. If so, they've a major problem.

It's also not like the stores only got a few in, either. Both stores I went to had at least 15 copies. I didn't ask at the first, but the second said that they only had 3 pre-orders. None of which looked like they would pick it up today(It was getting late).

I do not think it only the stores fault because you don't even need the retail box to play this weekend, if you've preordered. You can simply download the client as in beta so NCSoft didn't need ship the retail units using next day delivery.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

No worries, Cofcos. I'd have probably been pissed too. It's certainly no fun having a game in your hand you can't play.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

Oh, btw. I sold the key to a friend for 20$ so its no longer available. ;)
nomorals

Post by nomorals »

Cofcos wrote:EB/GS-- all of them in my area-- have broken the street date. Last time I looked the CoV message boards were down, so I couldn't tell if it's just my area or all EB/GS's. If so, they've a major problem.
No, they didn't break street date. Every site I read going up til today stated the 28th as the ship date. The COV site itself said specifically that on the 28th the servers would go up for preorders and fully live for the public on the 31st. As for needing the retail box to play, it is necessary. I certainly don't feel like trying to d/l a few gigs of data and I preordered only a few days in advance so I wasn't admitted into beta to even get the client.
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

This exact same situation happened last year with City of Heroes. The game didn't open up until a specific date, despite it being sold in stores.
yossar

Post by yossar »

There does seem to be something inherently wrong with selling a game that you can't go home and play for a couple days. Not sure if that's the publisher or the store's fault. Publisher I guess.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I manage a GameStop and the company made it very clear that although we could sell the game as soon as we got it in, it wouldn't be live for anyone who didn't have beta access until the 31st. Not only did we receive an email about it a week ago, they also called all the stores Friday morning to remind us of the situation. If your local store was not clear about that, the manager fouled up, not the company.

If NC Soft is saying the street date was broken, then they failed to inform retailers. In fact, since the beta access people need the retail software for their "headstart", it suggests NC Soft was very aware the game would be available for sale before the 31st.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Shades of Half Life 2?
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

I find your anger at CoV/Cryptic/NCSoft to be incredibly misplaced.
But, whatever, you want to give up on a game because you had to wait a couple of days to play, it's your right to do so.

The headstart is, as was always advertised, and just as it was for CoH at launch, a period for people with preorder keys to play early. Those preorder boxes were available since late August (I actually ordered mine thru gamestop.com on the 20th). The headstart is an enticement for people to preorder, which you apparently chose not to do. But somehow, the fact that stores have it on the shelf to sell makes CoV the bad guy (pun intended)?

Oh please. Next time put the 5 bucks down and preorder the darned thing.

And regardless of that, how in the hell does waiting a couple of days somehow entitle you to steal money from NCSoft. And yes, that's exactly what you've done with that chargeback.

The street date on CoV was not broken, because there was/is NO STREET DATE.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

I'll have you know that I pay for the privilege to charge-back trival stuff like this and it's my bank that'll pay(and me indirectly). :)

I placed my frustration with NCsoft because I couldn't do anything to Gamestop... My saying CoH is dead to me is a bit of hyperbole as I've been saying that since I got in the beta due to the fact I like the more offensive nature of all the CoV classes...

I do think, however, that I'll still wait until CoV gets cheaper to buy it again. As I seem to have become re-obessesed with WoW... At least for 9-10 days until The Movies comes out. :)
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

Oh, and it wasn't the wait that upset me; that was just a trigger. It was my trying to remedy the situation and my dealings with Gamestop/EB/BestBuy that put me over the edge...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

As Misguided said, I don't see how a chargeback is warranted or even legal in this case. You played those 3 months, didn't you? Regardless of the COV incident, it had NOTHING to do with the past 3 months of COH. Chargebacks are to be used for legimate vendor issues, such as them not accepting a defective return or something. If you haven't been playing COH for the past 3 months, then you should have canceled.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

To be fully clear, I have one of those stupid 'insurance policies' issued by banks for inane complaint such as this. :) I'm quite sure the bank won't even mention it to NCsoft, since it's not a very large amount. But their entire purpose is to make you feel a little batter in otherwise unresolvable disputes.

And, no, I haven't played CoH in about 2 months... I currently have 5 active MMOs... Er-- 6. I just reactivated WoW. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

anyone know what time on the 31st does CoV go live?
He won. Period.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

The message when trying to enter the code said 2:01am CST... I'm sure it would be by now no matter what, though.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So you did a chargeback on 3 previous months of CoH for a problem you had with CoV? WTF?

If you "pay for this privilege" you should have bought CoV with your credit card and done a chargeback on that.

The bank will mention it to NCSoft because they're going to take back whatever your 3 month CoH sub cost.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

So I guess no one would've been upset at having been sold the equivelent of an empty box? And, of course, since it's software you can't return it. But I guess I shouldn't bothered to warn a bunch of people who, if I remember, often buy games on release day and years later have yet to open them(at least some of you do that :))...

I didn't use my credit card, because I only use it online. The bank has already closed the case and my CoH account is still active-- which reminds me, i'd better cancel it... My point is, I doubt NCsoft would allow accounts which have been disputed to stay open.

The action I took was for two reasons. To vent frustration and recover my money. As I've said off hand here, many times, I usually have several MMO accounts active because I'm very flighty-- but the effect of that is that an account can go payed, but unplayed for a few months at a time. My CoH account has been active, I think, 8 months total since release. At least 4 of those months it went utterly untouched. So 'karmatically', I see nothing wrong with what I did.

...Are you suggesting that if you were basicly told to fuck off by GS(the Cryptic community liason also said something which I took exception to) and that if one, in a moment of anger, saw a remedy that would both make you feel better and get your money back you wouldn't take it?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

YellowKing wrote:The only person at fault is yourself for A) not understanding when the official live date was and B) not pre-ordering if you wanted to play before that date.
And you're probably not the type of gamer NCSoft wants anyway.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

God damn it, enough!

If I hadn't let myself get so riled up over the situation I probably would've just waited the weekend. If I were in my current mood; I'd do exactly the same thing. Because you all are making me just as upset... Yesterday I was feeling a little silly over the situation; tonight, I just think I'm being trolled...

No one has any problem what-so-ever with being sold something and not told, at time of purchase, that you can't use it until a certain date? Are you suggesting that before every purchase you make you should have to do extensive research to ensure that by simply buying it you don't supposedly agree for it to do nothing?

Whether I knew beforehand is irrevelant. But I got the impression from marketing, which I make every attempt to ignore, that the release date was the 28th.

And I think I know the practices of my bank more than you all-- they sent me an e-mail saying it was 'under investigation' at the time I made the complaint. The sent another saying it was complete and the case closed this afternoon-- The did exactly as I knew they would because I actually read the contract for the customer statisfaction guarantee: For amounts under 50$, they just absorb the cost(as it would probably take more than that to investigate it) unless abuse of the system is suspected...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well, if you didn't want to play COH, you should have canceled it months ago. I myself have a SWG account that I have logged in for maybe 5 times over the past YEAR, yet I'm keeping, it just in case I want to play now and then.

Also, you do not know if the credit card company will try to get the money from NCSoft. It is not always quick, so they may have said, give the guy his money back now and we'll get it later. Similiar to car insurance claims where the other guy is at fault, but his insurance is taking their time. Your insurance may pay now, then work later to get their money back.

You had a problem with COV. That you may or may not have known about.
Should they have notices either in store or on box about the actual live date? I guess so, but it's a MMO game. They probably guess that the vast majority of people buying it:
Are on the Internet.
Know about COH and visit the various websites.
Not all people, but the vast majority, for sure.

None of the above has anything to do with the past 3 months of COH, other then to make you feel better. It's just not right....
nomorals

Post by nomorals »

Cofcos wrote:No one has any problem what-so-ever with being sold something and not told, at time of purchase, that you can't use it until a certain date? Are you suggesting that before every purchase you make you should have to do extensive research to ensure that by simply buying it you don't supposedly agree for it to do nothing?
Buyer beware, jackass.

And you mispelled corporate.
Cofcos

Post by Cofcos »

Do you know what? You're right... I'm sorry.

I did let my temper get out of hand on friday, but, more importantly, I let you, generally speaking, upset me far too much. I still think it was wrong of them to do, but I should have just let it go...

...Am I the only one who sees humor in chastising someone, who wrote in obvious anger, about an obvious typo? Oh, and I misspelled thought, too. :)

Oh, ya!.. And you misspelled misspelled. Also, you probably should've used a semicolon instead of a comma after beware. ;)
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Well Cofcos, I was with ya on this one. I hate all of these preorder scams and always do whatever I can to benefit from a preorder scam without the people I preordered from getting my money.

When Neverwinter Nights was pre-released, the hook was that EB, GS, and Best Buy would all get different extra scenarios. I dropped $10 at all of three places and ended up buying the game at another GS in a different town. I went and collected my money from all three places where the preorders were purchased three weeks before the game was released.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Cofcos wrote:you misspelled misspelled
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

Huh, I don't follow any of the MMORPGs, but if I bought it walking through a mall and then couldn't play when I got home (after the anticipiation building as I went home) I'd be really damn pissed...
Jeff

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me, 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian beaver cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof..." - Douglas Adams
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cofcos wrote:
No one has any problem what-so-ever with being sold something and not told, at time of purchase, that you can't use it until a certain date?
You mean like 99% of all MMORPGs on release day? In fact, were it not for the fact that CoV is basically an expansion, I would call the pre-order pre-players glorified stress testers. Hell, I haven't followed the launch--they still might have been.

I don't think any SWG day one players were able to back charge their EQ accounts. SWG was shit for days. You couldn't even register your CD key for like 36 hours.

The difference here is that the pre-order deal was somewhat advertised (depends who you hear tell it) and planned.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

You should have seen the people on the official forums pitching a furious hissy because Cryptic had the absolute gall to schedule DAILY MAINTENANCE on Saturday and Sunday. HOW DARE THEY? :crazy:

Launch has been quite smooth. I've had a couple of CTDs in maybe 20 hours played or thereabouts. lag has been pretty good.

The game has gotten more demanding on the hardware side and I'm still trying to tweak settings to balance appearance and framerate. I've turned off antialiasing, but I'm playing at 1680*1050 now and it looks good at that res.
craterus

Re: Fuck City of Villians(Beware if you see it this weekend)

Post by craterus »

Mr Random wrote:Once you hit the age of 40, three days doesn't feel like a lifetime anymore...
ha - yeah - once you hit 40 you have 3 less days in your life to enjoy the game...
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
The OO GPRO thread - come on over and share some data