Civ4: My personal tweaks

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kael

Civ4: My personal tweaks

Post by Kael »

I have been ahving great fun with what I call a "Hero" version of the game. I basically doubled the effect of all of the promotions and switched to the Epic timescale. So now those high level units are awesome to have and definitly worth growing in small battles to give them xp. Once they get to be about level 5-6 they are walking death machines.

If Im having problems with a town I bring Hercules, my ultimate city buster over. No one cuts through archers like my fully upgraded calvalry. And when I see the computer bringing some high level units into my area, I know a simple upgraded longbowman isn't going to save me.

I made all the changes to the file:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4PromotionInfos.xml

Its pretty easy to look through and see how it works. Whats even better is that the text in the game was automatically adjusted to what I put in the text file. So it says Combat I increases the units strength by 20%. Looking through the xml files I was amazed at how modable this game is. Even a dork like me could make clerics, wizards, fighters and thieves with different abilities to pick from when they level up. Buildings or wonders that grant xp, there is ton's that can be done.
Creator of the Civ4 Fall from Heaven II fantasy mod for Civilization IV
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

cheater :P
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

You can open up the world editor in the middle of the game and basically cheat to your heart's content.

In my first game I used to bring myself back from the brink of destruction by an aggressive opponent.
Kael

Post by Kael »

jpinard wrote:cheater :P
The nice thing about the changes I made was it effects me and the computer opponents equally. It doesn't give me a game advantage, it just makes it a different kind of game (where the units who make it through major battles become important resources for their home countries).

But still there are so many stategic changes even this single change makes to the entire game. Barracks become even more important, Aggresive is a better civ trait, money must be saved for upgrades. I dont send my strongest unit against their strongest, often I send a weak unit against them forst, just to weaken them, then I attack with my strongest unit. Im not sure the computer is able to adapt to those things as well as I can, so Im sure it is some advantage whenever a player modifies the rules.
Kael

Post by Kael »

I moved my changes out of the origional game files and made it into a mod. Currently I have the following changes:

Promotion modifications:

All effects doubled

New Promotions:

Quickness I-III - Each adds Movement +1

Elven Blood - Gives +25% defense in jungles and forests, and halves movement costs in jungles and forests.

New Units:

Elven Archer - A archer who starts with the Elven Blood promotion, it does not get the city and hill defense bonuses typical to other archers.

Really Im just playing with the system right now. I have been amazed at how easy it is to make changes. I can't wait until I can modify the art.