Papageno

Too bad--lackluster reviews of From Russia with Love

Post by Papageno »

This disappoints me. Now I'll definitely be waiting for a price drop:

Gamerankings page for FRwL
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

Cross Posted with CG, er, GT:

Well, I took the golden bullet for you guys today, but I'm pretty tired, so I don't know how detailed my impressions will be.

First off, let me say that I really loved Everything or Nothing, but like some others found the difficulty to be a little trying (not to mention the length of missions). FRWT is much easier from what I've played, and they don't require you to play the higher difficulties to unlock things (though you do get research points [ie experience] if you play a level on Operative).

I've played two missions so far, so I'm not super far into it, but I'm not wowed. Good side of average is a pretty fair description. I thought the period and setting would make up for the standard gameplay, but they didn't really do much with the setting.

One thing that really makes this stand out is getting briefed by M and Q at the end of the second mission (you can't save until you play through the next briefing, by the way, which is a little annoying). There are a number of moments that feel like they're going for No One Lives Forever, itself a 60s Bond-type spoof, but the moments all fall a little flat or seem downright odd (why am I searching through a filing cabinet in M's office while he's briefing me? Because I the filing cabinet had a little glow to it).

The combat is easy enough. Bond focus is back, but time doesn't slow when you use it. On the plus side it's always available, but on the negative it's cumbersome to use in the heat of battle. Stealth kills are kind of cool, but are sometimes hard to implement because of the camera (specifically, it's hard to tell if your stealth kill is going to put you in plain sight of someone else).

There don't seem to be enough Bond moments, and they all seem to be clearly labeled in the menu.

And, spoiler alert:
The fact that you play the entire second mission as Bond, pulling off Bond moves and racking up experience, only to find you weren't actually playing Bond is kind of lame. Not that you shouldn't get the experience, as that would be even more frustrating, but why the hell does the real Bond get all the ammo and experience that the fake one picked up.
It just seems to be half-heartedly put together.

So, it's not bad, but it's not great. Those scores in the 7s you're seeing seem to be on the money, though I'd go low 7s, myself. Granted my expectations were high, but so far the game disappoints.
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

You're not kidding about EoN's difficulty sometimes-- see my other thread.