EQ2: Performance

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tals

EQ2: Performance

Post by tals »

OK first off I think it would be useful when testing out performance to get an idea what types of frames per second everyone is getting in game. If you download http://www.fraps.com which is a free program. If you start this then it will display the FPS in big numbers on the left hand side of the screen. Otherwise its all a little subjective.

After playing around with the settings i'm now getting between 15 and 20 fps (in castlehold/qeynos), interesting because something like HL2 which is very much more detailed gets between 30-50. Then again it is a different game type so not comparable.

How I decided to work on my performance was start from a low point and then pull the details up. So I think I started at high performance (not extreme perfromance). Then slowly went through each of the settings while fraps in running to get an idea on the effect of improving them. I think it started at around 20fps. Then would do a quick run around to also get an idea. I think there is still room for playing around, but it is worth doing as you get an idea whether some effects which may be actually having an effect on your setup but visually are fairly minor.

Again i'm in a fairly laggy area so hopefully this rate will be better when I get out and about.

I would be interested to know what FPS people are getting and rough machine specs. I'm in the process of defragging to see what improvement that gets and also going to turn of the anti virus to again see what effect that has. I'll post here on any improvements found.

My spec:

AMD 2.4 (clock speed 2)
1 Gig (PC 133 slow memory)
Geforce 4 ti 4400

I stress that if these frame rates were in something like hl2 the game would be unplayable but around the 20 mark is still very playable.

Tals