You know you've played too much Civ IV when...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Enough

Post by Enough »

About time for one of these threads for this highly addictive game. So last night I get home from work a bit before 6 pm and find my wife will not be home until later which makes me think hey this is a perfect time to start a new game in Civ. Next thing I know is it's now 3 am, the wife has gone to bed long ago and I wake up staring at the screen to realize I somehow completed two full turns while zoning out/sleeping as the time clock had moved on 20 years from the last time I had consciously seen it. I made some pretty funny choices in my subconscious mind. There are those that dream about playing Civ, and then there are those who actually play the game in their sleep! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coffee is a beautiful thing. Anyone else?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
dfs

Post by dfs »

yup. It's wonderful to feel this way about a game again.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I lied to my wife this morning. I told her that last night the baby kept making noises, so I kept having to check on her. So I played Civ while I was waiting for her to go into her sound sleep. (I have the first night watch, and I do much better if I stay awake than I do if I have to wake up).

Truth is, she was making some noises, but I only had to check on her twice. I played unitl 1:30 am. :oops:
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I've been dreaming in turns lately.
Caine

Post by Caine »

i've been hearing spock in my sleep.

i haven't been this addicted to a game i knew almost nothing about since star control 2. feels like being a kid again
WRecently WRisen from the gwave.
McCrank

Post by McCrank »

When I shank the person in the cubicle next to me and tell them it was all because I needed Iron?
Massena

Post by Massena »

I was reading the Economist the other day, and they had another article on China's economic development. I thought, "That's ok. When they switched from State Property to Free Market thay were bound to make more gold. But their Police State can't rush buy like the U.S. can."

Oh, and I briefly wondered what the world would be like if uranium were found above ground in large green clumps.
docvego

Post by docvego »

Oh, and I briefly wondered what the world would be like if uranium were found above ground in large green clumps.
I'd probably not be bulding my cities right next to it anymore. :wink:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I had a Civ IV dream last night. Nothing exciting, was just watching my settlers take over the map and getting lots of satisfaction from it.

Personally, I'd prefer dreaming of getting oral favors from some hot Hollywood actress but I guess this is okay, sort of.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When are checking the GBT forum as much if not more than you are checking the EBG forum with the sole purpose of checking in on Civ IV news and estimate that that including drive time and taking care of household stuff there are aporixamately two hours and fifty minutes until you start playing again and that will allow you six hours of play time before you don't get enough sleep for a good night's sleep but do get enough sleep to function while getting through the day to get you home for tomorrow nights round of Civ.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

LordMortis wrote:When are checking the GBT forum as much if not more than you are checking the EBG forum with the sole purpose of checking in on Civ IV news and estimate that that including drive time and taking care of household stuff there are aporixamately two hours and fifty minutes until you start playing again and that will allow you six hours of play time before you don't get enough sleep for a good night's sleep but do get enough sleep to function while getting through the day to get you home for tomorrow nights round of Civ.
Get the hell out of my head, damnit.

- Ash
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

You take the soundtrack CD to work so you can at least listen to the music while working...
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

I'm actually studying Egypt so I can roll play better. Also because I've somehow have this hardon for everything egyptian ever since I started watching Stargate SG-1.
Ya srsly!
Moggy123

Post by Moggy123 »

...instead of packing for a move this weekend, you spend every night for the last week playing until 2am.

I'm remodeling my house. The work starts Monday with a complete demolish of 4 rooms (kitchen and bathrooms). By then I need to have:

- emptied all 4 rooms of stuff
- moved into my temporary apartment
- dropcloth protected the remainder of the house
- moved my web server and DSL modem.
- upgrade my PC to a new MoBo/CPU/Memory/GFX, all of which are sat in boxes waiting for me.

I ain't done shit. OK, I am kicking ass on Noble difficulty with my Egyptian empire. The Romans were crushed. The Greeks are 1 city away from a similar fate. They don't know it yet, but the Arabians are next for a ass-whupping. I think I need to leap from swordsmen/Catapults to Grenadiers/Cannon first, though.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Bastards, I am out of town and forgot the play disk in my desktop PC. No Civ for me, I guess I will re-read the manual.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Pi

Post by Pi »

Sounds like you all need this:

Civilization Anonymous
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, I played all day last Sunday (except for the two hours I spent visiting my dad in the hospital). I played about 3 hours Monday night, maybe 2 on Tuesday and Wednesday night. Last night, I didn't play at all. :?

I'll probably play more this weekend since it might rain. Not exactly "addiction" (which I haven't experienced since MOO1...what, 11 years ago?)
Black Lives Matter
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Jeff V wrote:
I'll probably play more this weekend since it might rain. Not exactly "addiction" (which I haven't experienced since MOO1...what, 11 years ago?)
The first stage is denial.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Lee wrote:Bastards, I am out of town and forgot the play disk in my desktop PC. No Civ for me, I guess I will re-read the manual.
Massena

Post by Massena »

Pi wrote:Sounds like you all need this:

Civilization Anonymous
Heh. Ghandi puts the mmmm-hotttttt, in mhatma.
tgb

Post by tgb »

When you work out of your home and find yourself spending more time playing than working.

And Lee, if you were really dedicated you would buy a second copy while you were out of town. You could easily trade it here when you get back.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Marik

Post by Marik »

I didn't dream about playing civ. I had an epic dream just about *buying* the damn game. Seriously. One of those dreams that could fill a small novel with a cast of hundreds that just went on for hours culminating in a visit to what I vaguely recall as the last gamestop on the planet. I think I may be a bit of a nerd.