You're a bunch of lucky guys (and gals)!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Semperfi73

You're a bunch of lucky guys (and gals)!

Post by Semperfi73 »

I've been reading all the posts about HL2 and must say I'm dying to join in the fun. Unfortunately, Murphy followed me to my new duty station. After having my effects delayed for 5 months I opened my computer box, hooked everything up and no boot - won't even POST!!!! #$%%%@!!! I tried everything I could think of - swapped out the graphics card, reseated/tested the RAM, tested the power supply, even reseated the CPU. No go. Ordered new motherboard, RAM, and CPU but it takes forever (at least it feels that way!!! ) for mail to reach my FPO. So be thankful you're not in my fix and chomping at the bit to play the latest games! Stay safe, y'all. Your resident Jarhead
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I hope you get your parts soon! I've had my computer stop POSTing 2 times in the last 18 months and it really sucks when that happens. Both times it was cheap power supplys though so this time I got a good one :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Good luck with that, maybe you can avail yourself of some of the message boards at amdmb.com or tomshardware or similar places. There are some knowledgable technies who might be able to help you.

I just built a box, got an obscure beep code and no boot... racked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong, then realized I hadn't plugged in the second (smaller) connector from the power supply to the mobo. :roll:
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

What's FPO? and good luck with the new system! :)
is_dead
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

FPO = Fleet Post Office.

Doublechecking all the power and card connections would be the first thing I would try, and make sure you have the right voltage power set (115/220 or whatever you have at your station). Visually check for any hanging or blown capacitors on the mobo, etc. Does it start to power up at all or is it totally dead?

Stay safe, Semperfi73. Thanks for your service.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Semperfi73

Post by Semperfi73 »

Sorry to take so long responding but have been involved in the usual training evolutions - we have a LOT of those nowadays. At any rate, many thanks for the good wishes on getting my rig restored. Still waiting on parts - although my new video card arrived - a BFG 6800 GT. Should be a big improvement over my old one.

Freezer - many thanks for the tips and to answer your question when you turn the computer on the power lamp on the case and the motherboard illuminate, the fans turn on (including the CPU, Intel chip, graphics card, power supply, and case fans). Other than that - nada. Nothing on the monitor, no hard drive activity, no beeps. I'll continue checking but so far I've tested the power supply (good), and swapped out the graphics card - no change. Reseated the CPU also and made sure all my power and data connections were good. One nice thing, at least - I'll end up with an upgraded system! Oh - and I did adjust the power supply to local voltage - 110 VAC just like the States.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving back home. Take care!
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
none

Post by none »

heheh, a BFG 6800 GT! sorry about your old computer, glad you're a getting a better one. be safe and thank you! :)
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Semperfi73 wrote:Sorry to take so long responding but have been involved in the usual training evolutions - we have a LOT of those nowadays. At any rate, many thanks for the good wishes on getting my rig restored. Still waiting on parts - although my new video card arrived - a BFG 6800 GT. Should be a big improvement over my old one.

Freezer - many thanks for the tips and to answer your question when you turn the computer on the power lamp on the case and the motherboard illuminate, the fans turn on (including the CPU, Intel chip, graphics card, power supply, and case fans). Other than that - nada. Nothing on the monitor, no hard drive activity, no beeps. I'll continue checking but so far I've tested the power supply (good), and swapped out the graphics card - no change. Reseated the CPU also and made sure all my power and data connections were good. One nice thing, at least - I'll end up with an upgraded system! Oh - and I did adjust the power supply to local voltage - 110 VAC just like the States.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving back home. Take care!
Maybe we should move this over to General Computing :P

Disconnect all your drives and leaving just the bare minimum - RAM, CPU, PSU, & video. Power it up and see if it kicks on.
Yet another shameless plug..for something