To WoW or not to WoW?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Raven_13

To WoW or not to WoW?

Post by Raven_13 »

With World of Warcraft due out tomorrow, I'm really conflicted about whether or not to get it. After the disappointing (Horizons), boring (SWG), empty (AC2) and disastrous (MCO) MMOs I've played, it's a wonder I'm even interested at all. But, I go through these phases where I crave online play with other people, and WoW is coming out right in the middle of one of these phases. Not to mention that I have a four-day weekend coming up, with the gf going out of town for the better part of two days. :wink:

Here's part of my Animal House-like inner dialogue:
:twisted:: The game's good enough for you to stay interested for a long time.
:): You'll get bored of it within two months like every other MMO you've played.
:twisted:: Monthly fee? What the hell, you've got a job!
:): That money's better off being saved for a house down payment.
:twisted:: The game is great for casual players.
:): You'll get sucked into marathon sessions and piss off your girlfriend.
----
:): You barely even played Warcraft III, and know virtually nothing about the gameworld.
:twisted:: It's a whole new world to learn about. Let the reading begin!
:): You're just getting back into Morrowind. You have hours of gameplay there and all those new mods.
:twisted:: Uh...but that is old and this is shiny and new! I want it!
:): You hate people!
:twisted:: Yeah, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Sometimes I hate being a gamer. :doh:
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
wire

Post by wire »

You're like my inner dialogue twin... :lol:
warning

Post by warning »

If no one over here at OO is starting an OO guild, you'd be welcome to join up with ConsoleGold's WoW guild. Nothing beats playing with a bunch of mature, fun gamers. I'm not sure why they let me in however... :D
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The wanderers are going to be on WoW. Playing Horde.

Server announcement here (when it's ready).
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm seriously tempted to play it. I've got two good options for guilds, which is really the main reason I played CoH for as long as I did. The Collector's Edition is practically a work of art. The problem is that I know I won't have time to play it until into January, since I'm a retail manager, and free time is imaginary for us this time of year. If I got sucked in, it would be very bad.

At this point, I think I'm going to end up buying a copy of the collector's edition while I still can, and then waiting to set up my account until after the holidays. Of course, I'll have to give the key to my gf so I don't break down and install it early. Then I'll be able to spend my evenings yelling "PL me!" to all my uber guildmates.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: To WoW or not to WoW?

Post by FishPants »

Raven_13 wrote:With World of Warcraft due out tomorrow, I'm really conflicted about whether or not to get it. After the disappointing (Horizons), boring (SWG), empty (AC2) and disastrous (MCO) MMOs I've played, it's a wonder I'm even interested at all. But, I go through these phases where I crave online play with other people, and WoW is coming out right in the middle of one of these phases. Not to mention that I have a four-day weekend coming up, with the gf going out of town for the better part of two days. :wink:
Boy do I understand that.. I am in a similar boat, but I made a big mistake. I was in the beta test for WoW, which sadly ended last week. I was dying to play an online MMORPG, so I coughed up the cash for EQ2 after a few days of fighting with my inner self.

Sadly, I wasted my money on EQ2; and am thoroughly not enjoying it. What's worse is I don't think I can sell it to someone else who could enjoy it (has my CC# in it, plus my station account has EQ1 etc tied to it).

Anyhow here's how I see WoW vs. your concerns:

1. This is a very refreshing game. AC2/SWG don't even come close to comparing to this. Forget SWG and AC2 (I never played Horizons so I can't comment on that).

2 & 3. You may get bored of it in 2 months, I don't know, but if you can get 2 months of solid entertainment out of $1.31 a day ($49 for the game, $15 for a month x 2), what's the problem? I spend more than that a day on coffee and other silly shit.

4. No! See, by playing this video game, you will be saving more money! You won't be out as much spending it at the bar, on hookers, whatever it is you do with the money otherwise ;)

5. This game is all about casual players! The quests are good, the levelling seems a reasonable pace, and most of the folks are friendly and real people like us (who don't have 18 hours a day to PL their uber mages). I grouped with a guy for an hour, and was trying to figure out how to tell him in the middle of a quest that I had to log out due to wife/dinner/company; before I got the chance he said "My kid is awake, I need to run. Nice to meet you!". This happened a lot in my short lived time in WoW, and I have faith the advertising that this game is for the casual AND hardcore player will carry over into retail.

6. I didn't get past level 22, however you don't really HAVE to marathon anything. Sure if she's gone all day, you can sit around in your underwear and play for 20 hours straight if you want.. You can also finish up a quest in an hour, then run out for errands.

7. I never played warcraft either, and I never cared much for the concept. I only played WoW because I got a free key from FP. You won't be sorry.

8. Exactly!

9. Morrowind. BLAH.

10. Yup!

11. Most (not all but most) quests and mobs I could solo without a problem. None of this coloured /con in EQ bullshit, you highlight a mob and you know it's level. Why make people guess and then die? I don't get why SoE kept that stupid system in.

Anyhow I hope you do the right thing and buy it, but I will be honest with you. The only reason I typed this out was just to solidify my reasoning for running out tomorrow and spending cash I don't have on it! ;)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

warning wrote:If no one over here at OO is starting an OO guild, you'd be welcome to join up with ConsoleGold's WoW guild. Nothing beats playing with a bunch of mature, fun gamers. I'm not sure why they let me in however... :D
Is the CG guild going to be Alliance or Horde? I don't want to play a Horde character just yet; their lands are so desolate ;).
knob

Post by knob »

2 & 3. You may get bored of it in 2 months, I don't know, but if you can get 2 months of solid entertainment out of $1.31 a day ($49 for the game, $15 for a month x 2), what's the problem? I spend more than that a day on coffee and other silly shit.

It's $49 + $15, not $49 + 15x2. You get a free month.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Jow

Post by Jow »

I'm on the fence with this one big time. After playing the closed beta for months, I'm really conflicted about starting yet another new character and playing through the same quest sets again. The only reason I'm considering it is a friend I can play with is picking it up. Still, I'm anticipating playing for the free month, MAYBE one more before I'll be ready to quit and move on. Don't really like springing 50 bucks for a game that'll last me a month... hence the dilemma. :)
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Damn, what a bunch of enablers you guys are! :wink: Well, I think you've pushed me off the fence - I'm already planning my lunch break tomorrow around stopping at EB. Fishpants' point-by-point arguments were just too much for my inner angel. :twisted:

I'm curious too as to whether the CG guild is going Alliance or Horde? I'm planning to go Alliance, but that may change.

Edit: looks like they're going Alliance, at least the Monstrous Regiment guild is.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

FishPants wrote: 11. Most (not all but most) quests and mobs I could solo without a problem. None of this coloured /con in EQ bullshit, you highlight a mob and you know it's level. Why make people guess and then die? I don't get why SoE kept that stupid system in.
They didn't.
warning

Post by warning »

FishPants wrote:
warning wrote:If no one over here at OO is starting an OO guild, you'd be welcome to join up with ConsoleGold's WoW guild. Nothing beats playing with a bunch of mature, fun gamers. I'm not sure why they let me in however... :D
Is the CG guild going to be Alliance or Horde? I don't want to play a Horde character just yet; their lands are so desolate ;).
Alliance PvE.

Here's a link to the discussion boards. We can answer all your questions there.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Faldarian wrote:
FishPants wrote: 11. Most (not all but most) quests and mobs I could solo without a problem. None of this coloured /con in EQ bullshit, you highlight a mob and you know it's level. Why make people guess and then die? I don't get why SoE kept that stupid system in.
They didn't.
Ermm yes they did? I was playing EQ2 last night and they still do the blue, white, yellow and red /con of which I never saw a level number?? Maybe I need to get glasses because I didn't see one anyhow.
KePoW

Post by KePoW »

FishPants wrote:
Faldarian wrote:
They didn't.
Ermm yes they did? I was playing EQ2 last night and they still do the blue, white, yellow and red /con of which I never saw a level number?? Maybe I need to get glasses because I didn't see one anyhow.
if you mouse over the Target window, it tells you the exact numerical level of the mob
yossar

Post by yossar »

I know the game doesn't really start until level 10, but in the beta I only got two characters to level 8 before I got bored. Up until then the gameplay just seemed to consist of killing x of a certain type of monster. And all the monsters were pretty much the same. I was just starting to see interesting monsters and places around level 8, but I just didn't care enough to see them.

So I guess my question is how much better does the game get starting at level 10? Maybe MMORPGs just aren't my thing anymore if WoW is as good as it gets.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Valael wrote:

It's $49 + $15, not $49 + 15x2. You get a free month.
I love it when you pay $50 for a game and they give you a "Free" month to actually play the game. ;)
docvego

Post by docvego »

I tried to avoid the Open Beta, but I got really bored waiting for Half-Life 2 to Unlock. I had a lot of fun with the game too. I played a lot of betas for other MMORPGs but I never really got into any of them. Wow hooked me bad though. It was the first MMORPG that I actually played until my eyes hurt.

I'm actually planning on trying to hold out until January on WoW for a few reasons:

1) I actually am making a down payment on a house that month. :wink:

2) My G/f is taking 18 Credits next semester so I'll need something to keep me busy.

3) I won't have to deal with the post launch & post X-mas rush.

To help me hold off, I'd decided to go back and finally try to finish up Warcraft III & Frozen Throne (I suck at Night Elves).

I think the Collector's Edition looks pretty sweet, but that extra $30 you spend on it could be put toward two extra months of play. I've picked up a lot of CE versions of games, but I rarely use the extra stuff after a few days.
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

:D The game costs an infinite amount of money if I want to keep it forever
:D The game is server dependant, thus I have no control on my savegames
:D Patches are forced upon me
:D I'm forced to live with real people in game (mixed point but mostly negative as a single bad experience qould be enough to put me off for eternity)
:D Cheaters will always be everywhere, no matter what they do
:D If the company go down, my 500$+ game is suddenly worth nothing

I guess that game is not for me :D More money to me :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's also not just green, blue, white, yellow, etc. You can also have 1 or two arrows up or down. That's what, 25 consider states? Plus group vs solo.

You may not like the system, but there isn't much guessing going on.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Bob wrote:
It's also not just green, blue, white, yellow, etc. You can also have 1 or two arrows up or down. That's what, 25 consider states? Plus group vs solo.

You may not like the system, but there isn't much guessing going on.
It's almost as good as our terrorist threat levels. :P (Off to R&P with the thread. ;))