I just increased my Situational Awareness for LOMAC and IL2!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El-Producto

I just increased my Situational Awareness for LOMAC and IL2!

Post by El-Producto »

I just bought a 30 dollar webcam, and downloaded the freeware program www.freelook.org.

I know have a fully functioning Track IR for a lot less than the real thing. And trust me, it does the trick.

It took some tweaking, and I think it might need some more, but turning your head to track a bogie while on a pass, is the coolest thing yet.

Oh and another cool freeware proggy is http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/. Shoot is a freeware voice recognition software. Makes learning all of the buttons in a flight sim, so much easier.

In Geek Heaven!!!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

wow... this is pretty cool. i have a relatively ancient Ezonics webcam lying around (circa 1998 or so) so i hooked it up, re-hunted down XP drivers for it, got the Freelook program, taped a white plastic bottlecap to my forehead, and just messed around with the calibration program, watching the mouse cursor zoom around the screen just by tilting and swivelling my neck. TOO NEAT
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

hitbyambulance wrote:wow... this is pretty cool. i have a relatively ancient Ezonics webcam lying around (circa 1998 or so) so i hooked it up, re-hunted down XP drivers for it, got the Freelook program, taped a white plastic bottlecap to my forehead, and just messed around with the calibration program, watching the mouse cursor zoom around the screen just by tilting and swivelling my neck. TOO NEAT
I'd pay legal tender to see a vid cap of that.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Since I'm in the market for a TrackIR this is perfect timing, El-Producto. I tried it last night without a lot of success, unfortunately. I got Freelook running with my webcam and fastened a white square to the brim of a black ballcap, but I had a hard time getting it to track the square. I think the problem is that there just isn't enough ambient light from my monitor in-game, and if I increase the brightness or contrast on the webcam it starts picking up other stuff (like my nose) and then it goes all jumpy. I'm thinking that some sort of LED or pinpoint light will work far better than just a square of paper. That, or maybe some sort of reflective dot. Still, when it worked in the setup window it worked pretty well.

Sucks that it doesn't work in FS2004, though.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ummagumma wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:wow... this is pretty cool. i have a relatively ancient Ezonics webcam lying around (circa 1998 or so) so i hooked it up, re-hunted down XP drivers for it, got the Freelook program, taped a white plastic bottlecap to my forehead, and just messed around with the calibration program, watching the mouse cursor zoom around the screen just by tilting and swivelling my neck. TOO NEAT
I'd pay legal tender to see a vid cap of that.
The reason Freelook is free is because they actually collect these webcam videos and will be blackmailing the users when they have enough video footage. Expect an IPO within the year. Genius, sheer genius.