Starcraft Revived (thanks EB)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Starcraft Revived (thanks EB)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So I picked up Starcraft in the EB bargain bin for $2.50 yesterday, and just wonderd if there are any must have mods (specifically graphics) that might improve my experience? (love Warcraft 1 and 2 btw, hate modern, fast RTS)

I looked around online for a while but did not see any that maintain original aspect of game but improved/updated graphics only. Does anyone know if such a beast exists?

Thanks
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Not that I've heard of, but I haven't noticed them being that bad. My best friend and I like to play co-op games against several computer opponents. It's a great game.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I'd be real surprised if you end up liking Starcraft if you don't like fast RTS's cus SC was the fastest RTS I think I've ever played.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Uhh, you can change the game speed. I generally play at the third or fourth lowest setting (one below the middle IIRC). It lets you get stuff done and see progress without generally getting overwhelmed.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I remember my one foray onto battle.net in 2002. I played my usual Terran, against some other dude. I think he was Korean. Now I'm pretty decent at Starcraft. I had a really good marine/tank/goliath thing going for a while.

I lost in 3 minutes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bakhtosh wrote:Uhh, you can change the game speed. I generally play at the third or fourth lowest setting (one below the middle IIRC). It lets you get stuff done and see progress without generally getting overwhelmed.
That's all I ask for...

Age of Mythology, otoh, was uninstalled from my computer very quickly for lack of ability to change speed.

And also I plan to just play single player campaign on this, not against hordes of online Starcraft fanatics who have been pumping their mad SC skillz since 1998! :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

I lost in 3 minutes.
You ARE good.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Bob wrote:
I lost in 3 minutes.
You ARE good.
Word. I knew the rush was coming so I just built defenses. Managed to get two barracks up and just pumped out the Marines.

I held off the first wave of zealots but just couldn't handle the second.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Never play Starcraft against the Koreans.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Dirt wrote:Never play Starcraft against the Koreans.
Its like trying to beat Germany as Poland. You just can't do it.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Not to derail the thread or be incredibly racist, whenever a game that emphasizes the online aspect (like a MMORPG or an RTS or anything Blizzard makes), I nearly always try to compile a "Korean Index".
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Carpet, the good news is that if you want to play an RTS single player campaign Starcraft is probably one of the best. I've played a lot of RTS's and almost always just start playing skirmish modes... the campaigns usually make my brain explode with boredom, for some reason. But Starcraft's campaign is very good. I actually played through 2/3 of it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure why I never picked it up when it came out FIVE years ago...(wow), but I think it was because I was all Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Command and Conquered out. RTS was coming into its own back then, and I played SO much of all three of those awesome games, I was a little overful of the genre if you get my drift.

But really, since I loved those early RTS games (and Dune II as well for that matter, LOVED that one - good ol Westwood Studios (sniff), I thought SC would play like those did, ie. a hell of a lot easier than the RTS of today.

Can't wait to get home and try it out!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

What I love about Starcraft is that each race is fundamentally different. Sure, each race has an AA flyer and a ground attack flyer, there are ranged and melee ground units with long range artillery, but it's more than just a different skin put on the same unit. Zerg are fast and attack in large numbers. Protos can't heal, but they have shields. Terran's have the seige tank. :twisted:

Oh, since this is your first time playing SC, here's a little easter egg. Click on one unit, listen to it's confirmation, then click again and listen, click again and listen. Repeat this until you start hearing the same thing. Some units have some pretty funny comments...especially when you've read the manual and realize that the Terran grunts are prisoners who've been...made to fight. :D

My personal favorite:
"I'm about to drop the hammer"
"And dispense some indescriminate justice"