Divine Divinity crashing to desktop

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Divine Divinity crashing to desktop

Post by hitbyambulance »

anyone else had this problem and know possible fixes? i'm running the game with the 1.34 patch and it seems to crash at random times.

i have:

WinXP Pro SP2
AMD XP 2500+ processor
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
1GB SDRAM
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

Maybe try playing with different video card drivers.

I have a geforce4 but had issues playing the game with a newer set of drivers so I went back to some older ones and everything worked fine.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

oh yeah, using the latest Omega drivers.. i knew i was gonna be in for a rough time when the OpenGL mode wouldn't even work with this game...
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

MAN, this game has a lot of quirks. no crash yet (i'm running in software mode now), but somehow i managed to disassociate my camera from my character (like when you hold down the Shift key, i guess), so i can move the screen all around independently from it, but it's not how i want to play the game. but now i can't resync it back!

UPDATE: i found on a forum that happens because i hit the CAPS LOCK or SHIFT (which is what i thought) accidentally. so how do i get it back? and the game keeps crashing. going to try some things out, see if that fixes them. if those don't work, i'm gonna try some more things from this thread. if *those don't work, i give up...
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ok, now i tried setting my desktop to 16bit color and turning down my sound hardware acceleration a notch... still crashes... and it likes to erase all my savegames when it does this, as well. the only thing i haven't done yet is rolling back to an earlier video driver, which is not* something i'll do for one poorly programmed game. unless i get any suggestions by this weekend, this game is going off the hard drive.