Steam + Dialup = Bull@#!%

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Trent Steel

Steam + Dialup = Bull@#!%

Post by Trent Steel »

I read through the HL2/Steam Questions thread and have tried all those options, but I am at a loss.

Here's the big question I need answered: Is there a way to start HL2 without being connected to the internet?

My current method for starting HL2 is, connect via dialup, run Steam --> HL2, load game, pause game, disconnect dialup session, resume game.

I've tried exiting Steam without logging out and then running HL2 and it gives me the "This action cannot be done in offline mode" message. ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME!?!

I have tried disabling all my LAN connections and it had no effect. Also, I checked to make sure that HL2 is 100% updated and it is.

*PLAYING* HL2 is the most fun I've had since the original, but the hassle with Steam is really giving me gas.
18-1™ & 2-0
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but if you set it to run in offline mode, then whenever you start up Steam when you're not connected, it won't detect a connection and automatically go into offline mode (or give you a box that asks if you want to).
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

That's correct and I have been able to get *STEAM* to run in offline mode, but the problem is it won't start HL2 while it's in offline mode.

Kind of a dumb feature, wouldn't you say?
18-1™ & 2-0
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

And steam goes uselessly back online as soon as it detects a connection. I think I'll setup a firewall soon to remain offline.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

martindemon wrote:And steam goes uselessly back online as soon as it detects a connection. I think I'll setup a firewall soon to remain offline.
No, it doesn't. Or at least it tells me it won't. Once you're in Offline Mode Steam always tells me to exit itself and restart to go into Online Mode.

To answer Trent's question: I'm on dialup and not having any problems. I needed to be online the first time for the obvious authentication stuff. During the process of that it asked for my CD key, which I put in, and it said something to the effect of "thank you, we cannot fully validate your CD key at this time, but you can go ahead and play and we will get back to you". At that point, it still only worked in Online mode. That was 11/16, BTW (release day), so I kinda assumed that message had something to do with how bogged down their servers were. The second time I tried to play it (11/17), I connected to Steam's servers, and after a little chugging got told that my key *had* been validated - at which point I closed Steam, got off the net, and have been running it in Offline mode without any difficulties ever since.

Every time you begin to run the program it will attempt to connect - but once it fails to find a connection it should happily allow you to run the game without being on the 'net. It does for me.

So the shorter answer to your question: yes.

- Ash
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Asharak wrote:So the shorter answer to your question: yes.
Asharak, you are my golden ticket out of this mess.

Okay, now that I know that I'm not just banging my head against the wall with no possibility of this to ever work, I'll keep trying.

After doing some research on the Steam forums I found someone with the same problem I'm having - link. The exact error message that appears when trying to run HL2 in offline mode is:

"This operation cannot be completed while steam is in offline mode."

Further down in that thread someone talks about deleting the Steam files and then letting it redownload them when you connect, apparently fixing some corrupt files in the process. Does this sound like a valid option? Does the "...operation cannot be completed..." message refer to Steam trying to update itself and can't because it's not online?

The only flaw I see in this is that currently, every time I do start the game I have to connect and let Steam start up and then have HL2 start up. Once I have HL2 loaded I can disconnect. But if I'm starting Steam while I'm connected, wouldn't it do any updates it needs to at that time?

If this takes much longer to resolve, I'm going to Valve, Inc. and leave a Cleveland Steamer on their front desk.
18-1™ & 2-0
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just to make sure, open Steam and look under "Settings". Make sure that the box which says "Do not save account information on this computer" (or something like that) is not checked. I have been able to run the game offline with no problems. My copy was purchased through steam. Good luck!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

$iljanus wrote:Make sure that the box which says "Do not save account information on this computer" (or something like that) is not checked.
That it is Edward. That it is indeed.
18-1™ & 2-0
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

Asharak wrote:
martindemon wrote:And steam goes uselessly back online as soon as it detects a connection. I think I'll setup a firewall soon to remain offline.
No, it doesn't. Or at least it tells me it won't. Once you're in Offline Mode Steam always tells me to exit itself and restart to go into Online Mode.

- Ash
Well, when it got to offline, the icon changed and I presumed it was the icon representing "offline steam". Was it? Now the icon is back the way it looked before. Of course, I restart my computer every day because I can't sleep with this noise...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trent Steel wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Make sure that the box which says "Do not save account information on this computer" (or something like that) is not checked.
That it is Edward. That it is indeed.
I'll assume that you are now cooking with Steam and can play HL2 offline, online, upside down, on the can, etc.

They aren't very clear about how to play offline.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

martindemon wrote:Well, when it got to offline, the icon changed and I presumed it was the icon representing "offline steam".
I noticed that too and assumed the same thing. Looks like I'm going to have to try to update Steam and see if that helps.

Steam Update
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

$iljanus wrote:I'll assume that you are now cooking with Steam and can play HL2 offline, online, upside down, on the can, etc.
Of course I am NOT. I never had that box checked so that isn't the problem. I was saying "That it is..." meaning you are correct that I don't have the box checked. It was also a way to throw in a quick Christmas Vacation quote.

I have to try updating Steam when I get home today.
18-1™ & 2-0
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trent Steel wrote:
$iljanus wrote:I'll assume that you are now cooking with Steam and can play HL2 offline, online, upside down, on the can, etc.
Of course I am NOT. I never had that box checked so that isn't the problem. I was saying "That it is..." meaning you are correct that I don't have the box checked. It was also a way to throw in a quick Christmas Vacation quote.

I have to try updating Steam when I get home today.
Ahhh, I was wondering where the quote came from. You deserve not to play offline for confusing me! :evil: :mrgreen:

(good luck though. they could have made this part much easier for people I think)

Edit: Just reread your post title. You're still on dialup? It sure sucks to be you... :(
Black lives matter!

Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

$iljanus wrote:You're still on dialup? It sure sucks to be you... :(
When it comes to internet usage in my house, yes it certainly does suck to be me.

Verizon says that DSL is available and every time I order their equipment and hook it up they tell me I'm 1800m ouside the link loop. I've done that THREE TIMES only to ship their crap back and get credited each time.

But if I call right now the Verizon phone monkey will gladly say that DSL is available and ship me out a package pronto.

Asses.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ahhh... here's what I would do.

(1) update Steam as indicated earlier in this thread. If that means deleting info and re-loading, so be it.

(2) Make sure that Steam isn't trying to auto update HL2 every time you launch the game. I'm not sure how you disable that for the CD version you have, but my options to do that are under the Steam icon in my system tray.

Sorry man...dial up is el-crapo.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msurby

Post by msurby »

I've had both good luck and bad luck with trying to get HL2 to run. I have a feeling it has something to do with my dual-layer DVD drive (my only drive BTW). Anyway, I haven't been able to play for the last few days so this is what I tried this morning:

1. Shut down computer
2. Unplug internet connection
3. Restart computer
4. Wait for Steam to show up with the red line in its icon (offline indicator) - this can take a bit, so be patient
5. Right click on Steam icon
6. Select 'Play Games'
7. Double click 'Half Life 2'
8. Pray it worked (which it did, for me anyway)

Anyway, I'm just trying to illustrate what worked for me and hope that maybe this helps. It's really frustrating to have these kinds of problems - especially if it works at one point and then it doesn't later.

Good luck.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

msurby wrote:4. Wait for Steam to show up with the red line in its icon (offline indicator) - this can take a bit, so be patient
5. Right click on Steam icon
6. Select 'Play Games'
7. Double click 'Half Life 2'
8. Pray it worked (which it did, for me anyway)
I get the Steam (offline) icon in the system tray so that's not a problem. The problem is when I select to play HL2 it hangs for a minute and then says, "This operation cannot be completed while steam is in offline mode."

I'm going to follw the instructions to update Steam and let y'all know how it goes.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Trent Steel wrote:This operation cannot be completed while steam is in offline mode."

I'm going to follw the instructions to update Steam and let y'all know how it goes.
That's why I think it's set to auto-update the game for the latest patches. But hey. Who knows? Once you actually get INTO HL2...you know all the pain is forgotten. :)
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:That's why I think it's set to auto-update the game for the latest patches.
Of course it is NOT. I've gone through and quadruple-checked every possible Steam setting.
18-1™ & 2-0
DD

Post by DD »

I've been semi-following these threads, as I don't have HL2 yet but am putting it on the ol' Christmas list. What is the purpose of having to connect to the 'net every time you play a single-player game? I'm not seeing the justification for this - does it try to update or something every time?

I'm confuzzled... :?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Go to their website and read all about their STEAMING PILE OF DOG SHIT!
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Trent Steel wrote:Go to their website and read all about their STEAMING PILE OF DOG SHIT!
Tell you what. Anytime you want - you can come over to my house and watch me play on a high speed connection. Would you be my pal, mmm? How 'bout a Fresca?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think that's part of it. The other part is they just want to authenticate your copy every time too (which I disagree with).

Bioware is running into the same issues with their premium modules. They claim, for some technical reason, that they MUST authenticate each time you try to play it (something about the save game containing enough of the module to make it easy to hack), so people are giving them a lot of flak too. The funny thing there is there were at least 3 BOLD warnings that you must be online to play them and yet people are upset after buying them that they must be online to play :)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

DD wrote:I've been semi-following these threads, as I don't have HL2 yet but am putting it on the ol' Christmas list. What is the purpose of having to connect to the 'net every time you play a single-player game? I'm not seeing the justification for this - does it try to update or something every time?

I'm confuzzled... :?
Ideally, you don't have to connect to the internet to play HL2 after the first verification. Steam can be set up to save your login information on your computer which, along with having 100% of the game downloaded, is enough for the game to be started offline. Unfortunately there are people who still have problems accessing offline mode. I don't know if this is a problem that affects more the people who have CD copies of the game or it affects Steam buyers/CD buyers equally.
Black lives matter!

Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:Tell you what. Anytime you want - you can come over to my house and watch me play on a high speed connection. Would you be my pal, mmm? How 'bout a Fresca?
Play what, the Steam Verify HL2 game? Yeah, that's a friggin hoot.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote:Steam can be set up to save your login information on your computer which, along with having 100% of the game downloaded, is enough for the game to be started offline.
But then couldn't someone "spoof" that localized confirmation information with a warez version of the game?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have the Steam download version. My install woes are here and here. I eventually got everything working and gave up trying to play with ZA blocking steam and HL2. When I hit the corrupted textures, I did the fix that Disarm detailed in the second thread. With the Steam update (applied exactly per the directions at Steampowered and not using the regular update method) the corrupted game files were replaced. I also found that I was finally able to play with ZA blocking Steam and HL2. Because it is such a pain in the ass though (connection attempt times out, HL2 attempt times out) I just suck it up and play with it allowed to connect.

This weekend I'm going to try playing on my laptop on the road. If you spot a smashed Toshiba laptop on the shoulder I94 East somewhere between Detroit and Chicago, you'll know it didn't work.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kael

Post by Kael »

If you enter this validation key it will fix all of your problems: 5J52E-FVKXV-882FQ-YJXRQ-DOD98. :twisted:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kael wrote:If you enter this validation key it will fix all of your problems: 5J52E-FVKXV-882FQ-YJXRQ-DOD98. :twisted:
I get the following error now:
Steam-Error
This Steam account has been disabled
:?:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Steam can be set up to save your login information on your computer which, along with having 100% of the game downloaded, is enough for the game to be started offline.
But then couldn't someone "spoof" that localized confirmation information with a warez version of the game?
They do recommend that you don't save this information on networked computers. I don't know what additional safeguards they have against warez versions but I'm sure they have something...
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Kael wrote:If you enter this validation key it will fix all of your problems: 5J52E-FVKXV-882FQ-YJXRQ-DOD98. :twisted:
Steam-Error
You didn't really use that validation key, did you LawBeefaroni...? :shock:
Black lives matter!

Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

$iljanus wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Steam-Error
Dude, you just f'ed with a lawyer! :shock:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Biyobi wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Steam-Error
Dude, you just f'ed with a lawyer! :shock:
IANAL! Ack.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
IANAL! Ack.
I Am Not A Lawyer? Or is this the porn version of I, Robot called "I ANAL"?
Black lives matter!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
IANAL! Ack.
The first is true. I'm no lawyer.

The second I have in my Netflix queue.

Heh, "$iljanus" (emphasis The Meal's). :wink:

MYT
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

DD wrote:What is the purpose of having to connect to the 'net every time you play a single-player game?
I'm gonna say this in bold type (and I'd make it flashing, if I could), because this misconception is starting to irk me.

You do not need to connect to the internet every time you run HL2.

The game requires a connection ONCE: to authenticate and fully install the game. Any need for an internet connection after that is a game bug, user error, or other anomaly.

- Ash
Kael

Post by Kael »

$iljanus wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
IANAL! Ack.
You're my hero.
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Man, you people with your steam problems...At school, I was always connected. I came home, played offline no problem...I once played while online and had to update. That's it. No problem.
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

HOORAY!!!!!!

Steam patched itself, I rebooted, didn't connect to the internet and I can play HL2 offline.

Amazing.

I swear to god the developers on this must be a bunch of monkies humping footballs.
18-1™ & 2-0
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Good for you/it, Trent. Now stop posting and go play HL2.

And yes, the developers of the entire Steam system were utter idiots. Amazingly, though, HL2 doesn't suffer from the same stupidity.

- Ash