EDIT: Do NOT buy CGW for Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Windows95

EDIT: Do NOT buy CGW for Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2

Post by Windows95 »

WARNING: I got suckered, read my second post for the details!

Just a heads up that the latest Computer Gaming World includes a DVD with the full versions of Roller Coaster Tycoon's 1 & 2 (i.e. the better then RCT3 versions). Also has a bunch of demos and a DAoC 7 day trial.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Awesome! Definately gotta keep an eye out for this. Thanks!
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Or not! :x

The package said:
Free Games! Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2!

The DVD sleeve said:
Free Games! Ultimate Roller Coaster Tycoon Pack!

Nowhere do I see any small print with these phrases.

Great! I've always wanted to play RCT2 but never picked it up. Here's my chance to give it a go. I figure they're letting people play the old version in hopes they'll buy the new one.

So I fire up the game.

"You have 60 minutes remaining to play the game."

WTF?!

Yep, you get the full game, but you only have 60 minutes (that's 60 minutes total - not per session) to play the game. Total b.s.

Sorry CGW, but that is NOT the full game. I might be able to give the full game a try, but it's still just a demo. RCT 1 & 2 are both 60 minute demos using activemark, some type of online activation software that allows you to try the full game then pay $19.95 to unlock it if you want to keep going after 60 minutes.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to write a letter to CGW. I bought the magazine for two free games and got burned. DO NOT BUY CGW if you are expecting full free versions of RCT1&2.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Nowhere do I see any small print with these phrases.
You're saying they don't tell you it's time limted? That is pretty cheap, even for a mag that prints some it's pages on Scott's Tissue paper.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

That is pretty low for CGW.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

That's total garbage.

What'd they give in their review for DoW?
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

The mag comes sealed in your typical plastic bag thats holds the CD. On the front of the bag it says:

-> Free Games * Special Trial Versions
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2, Dark Age of Camelot

Alright so it says trial version, but the way they seperate 'free games' from 'trial versions' makes me think they're talking about two seperate things. Besides, I think to most people a free game is not a trial version. They are NOT one and the same to me.

Even worse on the back of the bag it simply says:

Free Games!
Rollercoater
Tycoon 1+2

Now can you see why I might start to think I'm getting two full free games?

Even worse on the DVD sleeve it says:

Free Games! Ultimate Roller Coaster Tycoon Pack!
Plus: Dark Age of Camelot Trial!

Alright, now I'm convinced RCT is the full free game and the trial is for DAoC (which makes sense since it's a MMORPG with monthly fees)

Sealing the deal is the fact that on the back of the sleeve where it lists all the demos it says:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 - FULL GAME!
RollerCoaster Tycoon - FULL GAME!

So you be the judge. It does say trial versions in one spot, but the way everything else reads I don't think it's unfair for me to have thought I was getting a free copy of RCT 1 & 2.

Anyhow, I wrote the editor Jeff Green a letter (and a polite one at that) about this deceptive marketing. If I hear back from him I'll share the response.

Oh, and as for the DoW review: 4.5 out of 5 - "Get it for the graphics, stay for the gameplay" is their verdict.
Lee

Post by Lee »

CGW is nothing like it used to be. For years I wouldn't miss an issue, but every since Johnny Wilson (that was his name, right?) left it has gone down hill considerably. That said, if I was going to buy a gaming magazine tomorrow, I would still take it over PC Gamer though. :)

I am betting gaming magazines are struggling and desperate for any leverage they can get. Now that everyone is on high speed internet, their over priced CD's aren't worth it.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I bought this issue for the free FULL RCT games too, because that's exactly what it looked like you were getting.

I didn't get around to actually installing them yet to check this, but what a bunch of slimeballs if this is true
:x

Wonder if they'll have the balls to put complaints about this in their next issue's mailbag :x :x
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
JayG

Post by JayG »

Talking about free games, for german speakers located in Europe the month's Gamestar has Freespace 2, Sacrifice, Fallout 2 and MDK 2 on the DVD, and PC Games has Diablo 2. Not a bad selection of games.
tgb

Post by tgb »

CGW is nothing like it used to be. For years I wouldn't miss an issue, but every since Johnny Wilson (that was his name, right?) left it has gone down hill considerably
CGW is nothing like it used to be. For years I wouldn't miss an issue, but every since Russel Sipe left it has gone down hill considerably.

As an official OGF (Old Gaming Fart) I just thought I'd throw that in.

No more to see here. Move along.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Caine

Post by Caine »

JayG wrote:Talking about free games, for german speakers located in Europe the month's Gamestar has Freespace 2, Sacrifice, Fallout 2 and MDK 2 on the DVD, and PC Games has Diablo 2. Not a bad selection of games.
wow, that is a lot of good stuff over there. freespace 2 alone is worth buying a mag for.

the last time i got one of those free game discs in a mag it had deus ex, thief 2 and warlords battlecry. not bad for the time.

sure sounds bad to advertise free games when it's just a time limited demo
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

tgb wrote:
CGW is nothing like it used to be. For years I wouldn't miss an issue, but every since Johnny Wilson (that was his name, right?) left it has gone down hill considerably
CGW is nothing like it used to be. For years I wouldn't miss an issue, but every since Russel Sipe left it has gone down hill considerably.

As an official OGF (Old Gaming Fart) I just thought I'd throw that in.

No more to see here. Move along.
Bah! There is only one magazine worth reading!